Kerry v Throne AIQF - Saturday July 1st

Started by Ciarrai_thuaidh, June 26, 2023, 07:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

The weeks rest for the group winners was overrated at the weekend. Dublin/Kerry are the 2 best teams in the country so therefore it wouldn't have mattered if they had 3 weeks rest or were out 3 weeks in a row. Derry are in the discussion for the 3rd best team in the country and got the draw they would have hand picked if given the choice so again the rest was irrelevant imo.

trueblue1234

Quote from: square_ball on July 04, 2023, 11:53:49 AM
The weeks rest for the group winners was overrated at the weekend. Dublin/Kerry are the 2 best teams in the country so therefore it wouldn't have mattered if they had 3 weeks rest or were out 3 weeks in a row. Derry are in the discussion for the 3rd best team in the country and got the draw they would have hand picked if given the choice so again the rest was irrelevant imo.

This it it. I think you reverse it, give Tyrone and Mayo an extra wks rest, and we would be here discussing how much of a benefit it was to get a run of games as Kerry and Dublin still win well in my view. They're just better teams at the minute.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Quote from: rrhf on July 04, 2023, 11:20:25 AM
A lot of good teams scratching their heads these days . Credit Dublin Derry Kerry Monaghan. They adapted better to the new conditions and Monaghan had a great focus from their early round robin games.
I think if all stays the same next year, there will be an even more competitive ouch for the outright winning of the group. For everyone except Armagh there were obvious advantages with the extra week that helped their cause.
I'm getting more convinced that the reasons that Dub and Kerry have more all irelands is that they can Adapt quicker than the others whatever the environment.

I disagree with the adapt better comment, kerry and Dublin are the two best teams in Ireland this year, has little to do with adapting to the format.

rrhf

Kerry and Dublin were not clearly the 2 best teams in Ireland all year or even up until 4 weeks ago. They have adapted well and now appear to be the best 2 teams in Ireland.

seafoid

"You want the best version of each team in the qf. They need an extra weekend off
There was a lack of energy in pqf teams "

https://youtu.be/7-4bxDLKnZg
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

square_ball

Quote from: rrhf on July 04, 2023, 01:18:36 PM
Kerry and Dublin were not clearly the 2 best teams in Ireland all year or even up until 4 weeks ago. They have adapted well and now appear to be the best 2 teams in Ireland.

So who were the best 2 teams going into the quarter finals at the weekend? And in what way have they adapted well to the new format that others haven't?

BuzzCagney

Quote from: blanketattack on July 01, 2023, 07:18:53 PM
Today showed what a nasty illness Long Covid is.

No need for comment like that.

BuzzCagney

Kerry hitting form at the right time. Killian Spillane to come back and Stephen O'Brien getting fitter.  They will take stopping with Jack O'Connor to win his first back to back All Irelands.

Armamike

Quote from: rrhf on July 04, 2023, 11:20:25 AM
A lot of good teams scratching their heads these days . Credit Dublin Derry Kerry Monaghan. They adapted better to the new conditions and Monaghan had a great focus from their early round robin games.
I think if all stays the same next year, there will be an even more competitive ouch for the outright winning of the group. For everyone except Armagh there were obvious advantages with the extra week that helped their cause.
I'm getting more convinced that the reasons that Dub and Kerry have more all irelands is that they can Adapt quicker than the others whatever the environment.
[/b]

I would say Kerry have been the masters of reinvention over the years.  New rivals come and go and they learn and adapt.  But both Dublin and Kerry have bigger picks than most and in Kerry's case an obsession with Gaelic football!
That's just, like your opinion man.

Fuzzman

Beat me to it again ArmaghMike.  ;D

Kerry have always had great footballers over the years and haven't gone too many years barron of a top top player like Clifford, Gooch, Fitzy etc but like you said football skills wont win you an All-Ireland on it's own.
For years it was always the Dubs and Kerry were the main players and then somebody would come along and challenge them like Down in the 60s.

Kerry on Saturday looked like a team very focused with a lot of anger and revenge in their heads, hell bent in showing up these arrogant Northern lot for what they really see them as. O'Connor isn't everyone's cup of tea in Kerry I believe but he certainly knows how to get the job done. The lengths he went to last year to bring in the right people and as you said re-adapt to how the modern game is played now, whether you like it or not.

Kerry knew the early stages of this year meant nothing and losing to Mayo wouldn't define their season, in fact it was a bit like Tyrone losing to Kerry in the league in 21 and creating a false sense of where they were at.

I think they will win the AI this year with quite a bit to spare and believe they have improved from last year.
They showed on Sat that they aren't totally dependent on Clifford and can still put up a big score if he's well marshalled.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 04, 2023, 03:06:56 PM

Kerry have always had great footballers over the years and haven't gone too many years barron of a top top player like Clifford, Gooch, Fitzy etc but like you said football skills wont win you an All-Ireland on it's own.
For years it was always the Dubs and Kerry were the main players and then somebody would come along and challenge them like Down in the 60s.

Kerry on Saturday looked like a team very focused with a lot of anger and revenge in their heads, hell bent in showing up these arrogant Northern lot for what they really see them as. O'Connor isn't everyone's cup of tea in Kerry I believe but he certainly knows how to get the job done. The lengths he went to last year to bring in the right people and as you said re-adapt to how the modern game is played now, whether you like it or not.

Kerry knew the early stages of this year meant nothing and losing to Mayo wouldn't define their season, in fact it was a bit like Tyrone losing to Kerry in the league in 21 and creating a false sense of where they were at.

I think they will win the AI this year with quite a bit to spare and believe they have improved from last year.
They showed on Sat that they aren't totally dependent on Clifford and can still put up a big score if he's well marshalled.

Might have but their neighbours Cork did them a huge favour on June 18th.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Milltown Row2

Do you really think Kerry looked focused and angry on Saturday? They didn't look too flushed or puffed out with effort, I think Tyrone just rolled over and allowed Kerry to tickle their bellies
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

yellowcard

I believe that Kerry did coast through the League but losing to Mayo was certainly not in their plans and nor is there any real evidence to suggest that they have improved from last year. If Con O'Callaghan had been fit for last years AI semi final I believe that the Dubs would have won that AI title. That game I believe is still the most reliable form guide and the Dubs are very marginal favourites at the minute because of O'Callaghan and the other returning players. I certainly don't think either side will win it easily.   

square_ball

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 04, 2023, 05:47:06 PM
Do you really think Kerry looked focused and angry on Saturday? They didn't look too flushed or puffed out with effort, I think Tyrone just rolled over and allowed Kerry to tickle their bellies

Paudie Clifford was definitely angry for one.

blanketattack

Quote from: yellowcard on July 04, 2023, 05:59:49 PM

I believe that Kerry did coast through the League but losing to Mayo was certainly not in their plans and nor is there any real evidence to suggest that they have improved from last year. If Con O'Callaghan had been fit for last years AI semi final I believe that the Dubs would have won that AI title. That game I believe is still the most reliable form guide and the Dubs are very marginal favourites at the minute because of O'Callaghan and the other returning players. I certainly don't think either side will win it easily.

Kerry were far better than the scoreline suggested against Dublin last year.
Kerry missed a penalty and O'brien missed a sitter. Should have been 12 points up instead of 6, then Kerry gift Dublin a goal and start to panic. The confidence that win has given Kerry is of great benefit though.
If Con O'Callaghan was missing for the Dublin-Mayo game in 2021 I bet most people would have said, "If Con wasn't missing Dublin would have won", so I don't buy the narrative that Dublin would have won that game with Con