Tailteann Cup 2023 - Rules from GAA Master Fixtures List

Started by GAABoardMod5, March 29, 2023, 02:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onefineday

I've always liked that idea of a winning team entering the higher championship at a later stage, it's better than the current reward of entering the following year as momentum and form can have disappeared by then (not pointing any fingers Westmeath). It also gives a really good incentive for the TC.
The obvious problem is that means TC has to be played off earlier than the All Ireland series. Maybe a quarter final slot could be reserved and TC could be tightened up a touch to allow that to happen?

Itchy

For me the Tailteann cup is a half way house, we need to get to a situation where we have 3 Tiers like in club football - Senior, Intermediate and Junior. In reality we are giving teams 3 games now but to many it will be 3 hammerings. 3 Tiers works in ladies football and in all counties club football and thats what the way  to go in my opinion.

imtommygunn

Yeah there probably needs to be less in the top tier especially. For example you look at Louth yesterday and then Clare the week before (and Sligo). I think there will be more hammerings in the sam maguire than the tailteann cup. (The football is becoming like the hurling where the gap between the top and bottom is becoming huge - I don't think it's that big between the middle and the bottom).

Dreadnought

Quote from: onefineday on May 15, 2023, 12:36:37 AM
I've always liked that idea of a winning team entering the higher championship at a later stage, it's better than the current reward of entering the following year as momentum and form can have disappeared by then (not pointing any fingers Westmeath). It also gives a really good incentive for the TC.
The obvious problem is that means TC has to be played off earlier than the All Ireland series. Maybe a quarter final slot could be reserved and TC could be tightened up a touch to allow that to happen?

Where exactly would you get it run off? I just can't see how it can be squeezed into the calendar. And also that is a lot of games, to then enter another Championship. The idea always was to have it at the level and recognition/promotion of Sam. Run off at the same time of year, and final on a day with an All Ireland semi final or such in mid-summer. Rather than run it all off by May so they can join in the winners to the Quarters where people forget about it after they invariably lose.

Rossfan

Would mean a load of Counties would have a 3 month Season of Feb, March and April.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Look-Up!

Couldn't see the point at all of splitting championship and offering the winners a way back into AI race. Would be disastrous for all TC participants and for the winners themselves when the feel good factor of silverware gets immediately wiped away by the inevitable drubbings to come the following weeks. Winning a cup should be enough of a standalone achievement, then build on it next year.

Reality is that the AI series is well beyond the level of any possible TC winner and a good number of the AI participants themselves. 9 teams are 50/1 or longer for Sam and for the TC itself, 9 teams are 40/1 or longer. So unless we're about to see an unprecedented number of bookies going around on bicycles, football is crying out for a 3rd tier.

onefineday

Yes, fair points about TC winners not getting back into the all Ireland series, it would devalue the competition and could take the gloss off a successful season.
But what can we do to make the TC attractive to the 'big guns' who fall into it - and most of us will be there at some point in the next decade.
I agree that 3 tiers are probably required. Good team holiday of course. I think they should play the finals on all Ireland final day. What about a guaranteed promotion spot if needed?

So if a d3 team won TC they'd also be promoted to D2. They'd replace either the lowest ranked D2 team in the TC if any qualified or if none were in TC, the 3rd bottom team in D2. I actually think that might really spice up the TC.

snoopdog

I think the so called big teams in it this year like Meath Down and cavan are taking it seriously. Although it's a long time since any of those 3 were competitive at thr top level.  But playing on all Ireland final day would be a nightmare for fans looking for tickets. If there were 3 tiers you could definitely have an all Ireland weekend with the junior and intermediate finals on a Saturday evening.

Look-Up!

Maybe from a players perspective, a holiday might be a nice little reward for winning it.
From one Cavan fans point of view, I think there are too many games and we'll be expected to win most of them handy enough. Can't see too much footfall through the gates until the later knock out stages, assuming we get there. A lot of our fans will expect us to win it, if we do there won't be too many bonfires, if we don't there'll be calls for new management.
Personally I'd love to be in a middle tier. Would be less group games, none of them easy and it would be a massive achievement for us to win it out. Of course to assume this is our level we should be able to win TC, something we failed to do last year.
I'd leave the leagues as the main ranking tournament. Then obviously championship winners from previous year would move up a grade. And winners of provincials would play top tier. I'd do away with provincial finalists getting into top tier, maybe move them to middle tier if they aren't already at that level.

Armagh18

Quote from: snoopdog on May 18, 2023, 07:05:36 AM
I think the so called big teams in it this year like Meath Down and cavan are taking it seriously. Although it's a long time since any of those 3 were competitive at thr top level.  But playing on all Ireland final day would be a nightmare for fans looking for tickets. If there were 3 tiers you could definitely have an all Ireland weekend with the junior and intermediate finals on a Saturday evening.
Yeah agree with this. Wouldnt be great if say Kerry were playing Armagh ;) and Meath were playing Kildare on the same day, be a nightmare for tickets. Meath and Kildare and say Carlow and Leitrim on a Saturday evening would be good.

Blowitupref

Results

London get closer than expected. Cavan: 0-18 London: 2-6

Limerick 1-19 Carlow 0-14
Longford 3-17 Wicklow 2-9
Wexford 0-14 Antrim 2-15
Leitrim 2-7 Fermanagh 1-19
Meath 3-17 Waterford 1-14
Offaly 1-11 Laois 1-11
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

Today's one result, very one sided contest.

Tipp 0-6 Down 2-18
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Itchy

One game that could be considered a contest for the whole weekend.

imtommygunn

Antrim game was close so two... Sam Maguire will be like that too.

From the Bunker

There will be a Junior competition in the future that would include Warwichshire, New York, London, Kilkenny, Waterford, and would be open to a standard of representation from other areas such as Scotland and Europe.