tbrick18

Quote from: thewobbler on January 31, 2023, 10:58:39 AM
Quote from: trailer on January 31, 2023, 10:01:02 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 31, 2023, 09:06:57 AM
Quote from: trailer on January 31, 2023, 08:44:58 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on January 30, 2023, 10:33:12 PM
Quote from: Orior on January 30, 2023, 08:15:39 PM
Quote from: dec on January 30, 2023, 07:42:50 PM
"She claims her husband, other parents and volunteer coaches were unhappy with the approach to the tournament taken by Richie Herity, who was the head coach of the under-9 group."

Probably a dispute between play your best players and try to win versus everyone gets a turn.

At under 9, which is the right thing for a coach to do?

Should loud parents be able to over rule a coach?

I wonder what his approach was, best players on to win every game or give everyone a game even if it meant losing. I have seen Parents flip over both.

Surely, SURELY, in 2023, no one is going to an Under 9 tournament and as a coach playing your best players in order to win or as a parent expecting your coach to play your best players in order to win, surely?! This is coaching 101 in every single course I have ever done.

This is absolute madness by both parties.

Trailer a question. When clubs run a prestigious u9 tournament, with clubs from multiple provinces taking part - do you honestly believe the majority of teams drive those distances just to give everyone a game?

I'm all for non-competitive leagues and tournaments at u9 and u11. But (and I don't which tournament it was) if a team is driving 70 miles and past 100 clubs, it's for bigger reasons than a day out.

YES! It's a day out. Jesus Christ!
Although the older I have got the more I see that A LOT of people are not wise in the head.

We play non-competitive u9 leagues in Down. Which is right.

We enter non-competitive u9 blitzes too. Which is right.

But we also attend a handful of blitzes that aren't much different in concept to a Feile. You enter a division and you try to win it.

What on earth could possibly be wrong with a few competitive tournaments a year? What are you ao afraid of finding out, that it cannot be corrected over the following weeks in a non competitive environment?

I don't think anyone has an issue with competitive tournaments, provided the same approach of getting all the kids on the pitch is taken.
We've had a few tournament invites where it says a max panel of 10-12, for example. That means we have to leave the majority of kids behind. I don't personally like that and it also annoys parents at that age.
If take that same approach to tournaments as go-games, where everyone plays then its all good. The problem is most teams go with the approach of strongest side out every game, and so the team that's using all their players can get destroyed at that age level and that doesn't help anyone.
I realise I'm probably in the minority with that view though and I don't expect the tournament approach to change.
Some tournaments have that setup of allowing multiple teams streamed into A/B etc. Then play for the cup/shield/plate depending on how they get on in the group sections. This is much better and gives all the players a chance to compete at their own level.

seafoid

Maybe a Sam Maguire and Tailteann split would work at under 9 as well.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Cavan19

"She claims her husband, other parents and volunteer coaches were unhappy with the approach to the tournament taken by Richie Herity, who was the head coach of the under-9 group."

Probably a dispute between play your best players and try to win versus everyone gets a turn.

I wonder what his approach was, best players on to win every game or give everyone a game even if it meant losing. I have seen Parents flip over both.

Surely, SURELY, in 2023, no one is going to an Under 9 tournament and as a coach playing your best players in order to win or as a parent expecting your coach to play your best players in order to win, surely?! This is coaching 101 in every single course I have ever done.

Trailer a question. When clubs run a prestigious u9 tournament, with clubs from multiple provinces taking part - do you honestly believe the majority of teams drive those distances just to give everyone a game?

I'm all for non-competitive leagues and tournaments at u9 and u11. But (and I don't which tournament it was) if a team is driving 70 miles and past 100 clubs, it's for bigger reasons than a day out.

Although the older I have got the more I see that A LOT of people are not wise in the head.

But we also attend a handful of blitzes that aren't much different in concept to a Feile. You enter a division and you try to win it.

What on earth could possibly be wrong with a few competitive tournaments a year? What are you ao afraid of finding out, that it cannot be corrected over the following weeks in a non competitive environment?

When it is competitive the coaches want to win, the kids naturally want to win and the majority of parents want to win and the weaker players get feck all game time which upsets the kids and leaves their parents frothing at the mouth. 

I think blitzes are the best option at this age group and even at U-11 let them play a few games and have no semi finals or finals. 

I see it with myself when my kids are at games if they are not getting much game time the blood does be starting to boil in me but i have never said anything to a coach as i know what it's like as i have done my time coaching also and got it from irate parents over the years. 

Cavan19

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 31, 2023, 11:08:19 AM

I don't think anyone has an issue with competitive tournaments, provided the same approach of getting all the kids on the pitch is taken.
We've had a few tournament invites where it says a max panel of 10-12, for example. That means we have to leave the majority of kids behind. I don't personally like that and it also annoys parents at that age.
If take that same approach to tournaments as go-games, where everyone plays then its all good. The problem is most teams go with the approach of strongest side out every game, and so the team that's using all their players can get destroyed at that age level and that doesn't help anyone.
I realise I'm probably in the minority with that view though and I don't expect the tournament approach to change.
Some tournaments have that setup of allowing multiple teams streamed into A/B etc. Then play for the cup/shield/plate depending on how they get on in the group sections. This is much better and gives all the players a chance to compete at their own level.

The likes of that would cause more trouble than what it's worth in most clubs and i wouldn't like to be involved in selecting players for that !

thewobbler

But tbrick surely you can see the juxtaposition is what you're written here?

"I don't think anyone has an issue with competitive tournaments"

And

" provided the same approach of getting all the kids on the pitch is taken."

You can have one or the other, but you can't have both at the same time.

——-

People also tend to get confused and believe that when Go Games rules for solo and bounce are in place, it means it's non-competitive. I don't know why.

——-

As far as I'm concerned, as long as the host club makes it clear from the outset that they're hosting a competitive or non-competitive tournament, and the rules are designed to facilitate that policy, then let them at it. It's then up to the clubs to look at the structure and decide if they wish to attend. Don't blame the host club and other attendees for not doing things the way you like them.

trailer

Quote from: Cavan19 on January 31, 2023, 11:12:23 AM

When it is competitive the coaches want to win, the kids naturally want to win and the majority of parents want to win and the weaker players get feck all game time which upsets the kids and leaves their parents frothing at the mouth. 

I think blitzes are the best option at this age group and even at U-11 let them play a few games and have no semi finals or finals. 

I see it with myself when my kids are at games if they are not getting much game time the blood does be starting to boil in me but i have never said anything to a coach as i know what it's like as i have done my time coaching also and got it from irate parents over the years.

I coached U7 / 9 and 11 teams. All kids played all the time no matter their ability and I often took my own son off first or didn't start him. It often led to him pointing out that I didn't know what I was doing, I wasn't playing the best team, we were losing because of decisions I made. We won some games including a few tournaments and we lost plenty as well. But everyone played and everyone contributed.
I ref'd a few games in our own tournaments and you'd be surprised what gets past a police check.

tbrick18

Quote from: Cavan19 on January 31, 2023, 11:14:10 AM

The likes of that would cause more trouble than what it's worth in most clubs and i wouldn't like to be involved in selecting players for that !

Yeah its a nightmare and I usually lose out when it comes to deciding whether or not to go to those tournaments.
When we go, we tend to take the older kids with the understanding that the following year the kids who missed out get to go then.
Not ideal either, but it's one way of doing it.

tbrick18

Quote from: thewobbler on January 31, 2023, 11:23:18 AM

And

——-

People also tend to get confused and believe that when Go Games rules for solo and bounce are in place, it means it's non-competitive. I don't know why.

——-

As far as I'm concerned, as long as the host club makes it clear from the outset that they're hosting a competitive or non-competitive tournament, and the rules are designed to facilitate that policy, then let them at it. It's then up to the clubs to look at the structure and decide if they wish to attend. Don't blame the host club and other attendees for not doing things the way you like them.

I think you can, it just depends on your view on what "competitive" means at u9.
Is it my best u9 players against your best u9s? Or is it my u9 panel vs your u9 panel? I prefer panel v panel as it's better for the long term development of all players not just the few.
I've also seen it that even at that age, the few that get picked for tournaments start treating the others as being no good. And the "others" starting the believe that too then start to drift. That's very difficult to manage.
I'd rather lose more games at that age and keep more kids involved and interested.
The main issue is that when a lot of u9 coaches are going to these tournaments they lose sight of that and want to win at all costs.

johnnycool

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 31, 2023, 11:56:43 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 31, 2023, 11:23:18 AM

And

——-

——-

I think you can, it just depends on your view on what "competitive" means at u9.
Is it my best u9 players against your best u9s? Or is it my u9 panel vs your u9 panel? I prefer panel v panel as it's better for the long term development of all players not just the few.
I've also seen it that even at that age, the few that get picked for tournaments start treating the others as being no good. And the "others" starting the believe that too then start to drift. That's very difficult to manage.
I'd rather lose more games at that age and keep more kids involved and interested.
The main issue is that when a lot of u9 coaches are going to these tournaments they lose sight of that and want to win at all costs.

I kinda dread being invited to some tournaments with limited numbers etc etc as it leads to filtering the kids and if say we are going to a 7 aside blitz and you can only take 9 then its names in a hat stuff.

I also make it abundantly clear to the coaches with the go-games age groups that as much as they play 7/9/11 aside hurling at U13/15/17 is 15 aside and we need to make sure we develop every kid with that in mind.

As for the Fingallians they do seem to be involved with the law quite a bit over the years!

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/courts/2023/02/02/row-over-alleged-banning-of-family-from-dublin-gaa-club-adjourned/

Row over alleged banning of family from Dublin GAA club adjourned
Judge says clarity is needed as to identity of correct defendants

Aodhan O'Faolain
Thu Feb 2 2023 - 13:55

A High Court action brought by a mother of four young children who are allegedly banned from participating in activities at their local GAA club has been adjourned for a week.

The action has been brought by Sinead O'Farrell, of Sandford Wood, Swords, Co Dublin, who on Monday was granted permission by the High Court to serve short notice of proceedings taken against the officials of Fingallians GAA Club.

She is seeking an injunction removing the alleged ban on behalf of her children Luca (10), Cai (8), Nia (6) and Alia (5) who, she claimed, along with her and their father, Jason, were told to stay away from the club.

When the matter returned to court before Ms Justice Eileen Roberts on Thursday, the family's lawyers said they had no contact from the defendants about the case until late on Wednesday evening when they were informed the people who should be sued are the club's trustees and not the defendant club officials.

READ MORE

Gunther's Millions: This dog has a mansion, a yacht and a personal chef. But something's not right
Gunther's Millions: This dog has a mansion, a yacht and a personal chef. But something's not right
Significant breakthroughs unlikely as Blinken visits Beijing
Significant breakthroughs unlikely as Blinken visits Beijing
Irish showdown shapes crucial EU climate goals legislation
Irish showdown shapes crucial EU climate goals legislation
'I barely recognise our 17-year-old son any more, either physically or emotionally'
'I barely recognise our 17-year-old son any more, either physically or emotionally'
Ms Justice Roberts was told the plaintiffs are happy they have sued the correct parties, and that lawyers for the trustees have no right of audience in the proceedings.

Counsel for the trustees told the court that his clients, who are not the same as the defendants, were the correct parties that should be sued, and that the dispute should go to arbitration rather than before a court of law.

The action is against club officials Colin Foley (club chairperson), Carl Jones (vice chairperson), Eoin Martin (club secretary), Denis McCarthy (juvenile chairperson), Sarah Nixon (children's officer) and Pat Ward (disciplinary chairperson).

The judge said clarification is needed as to the identity of the correct defendants. She adjourned the case for a week to allow instructions to be taken.

Previously, the court heard the O'Farrells are all paid-up members of Fingallians, Seatown West, Swords, and all of the children take part in both football and hurling.

Ms O'Farrell said a dispute arose following a football tournament for under-nine boys in Newry, Co Down, last year.

She claims her husband, other parents, and volunteer coaches were unhappy with the approach to the tournament taken by Richie Herity, who was the head coach of the club's under-nine boys' group.

Arising out of the fallout within the club from the tournament, she said Jason and other adults whose children were part of the group were fired as volunteer coaches of the under-nines in September.

She added that since the removal of those parents, there have been a series of communications and meetings involving club officials, the O'Farrells and the other parents. None of the issues between them have been resolved, she said.

Last month she claims that her husband and her family were told in one communication by a senior official at the club for the entire family to refrain from attending, until a meeting had taken place with her husband and the club's chairperson. Ms O'Farrell said the entire affair had caused her and Jason the most profound shock and distress.

The Farrell's solicitors wrote to the club seeking undertaking including that no steps be taken by Fingallians to prevent the O'Farrell children from accessing the club's facilities.

In a letter to the O'Farrell's solicitors, the club said their children are "entitled to the same access to the club's facilities and activities as all other club members in good standing", and it had "no intention to exclude them".

However, no undertakings were given and Ms O'Farrell has sought injunctions restraining the officials from interfering with the family's right to attend the club and participating with club teams or groups.

She also seeks declarations, including that a message sent by the club to her husband earlier this month purporting to ban the family from training is unwarranted, unjustified, unlawful and has no legal effect.

Orior

Quote from: LeoMc on January 31, 2023, 09:33:46 AM
A lot of Parents do not do coaching 101. If Mammy and Daddy drive 70 miles to see young Ross "who could be the next Brian Fenton, dontcha know" and the coach is "losing games they could have won, if only Ross was started instead of Reggie, well less said about his ability but..."

Ha ha! Sounds even better is a strong Dub accent.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Captain Scarlet

What was the approach taken? Like if the coach had kids freezing on the line and not giving game time then you can understand the annoyance.
But, if the coach was giving everyone game time and not making it win at all costs then the parents would be in the wrong in my mind.

Maybe I am being dopey here but I don't see what the approach and initial issue is? And I know there is debate over travelling for a non-competitive angle but like it shouldn't end in the courts.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2023/0206/1354027-meath-gaa-apologise-to-down-after-offensive-tweet/

Meath GAA have apologised to their Down counterparts after an offensive tweet from their official account targetted the facilities in Ballycran.

Ronan Sheehan's side hosted Offaly in the Ards venue on Sunday and in the aftermath of their 0-21 to 0-18 loss, a tweet from the Meath account calling McKenna Park a "kip" and stating that inter-county games should not be played there.

Sheehan took to social media slamming the tweet, which was swiftly deleted, before later praising the Royal County for quickly addressing the issue.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on February 06, 2023, 09:00:59 AM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2023/0206/1354027-meath-gaa-apologise-to-down-after-offensive-tweet/

Meath GAA have apologised to their Down counterparts after an offensive tweet from their official account targetted the facilities in Ballycran.

Ronan Sheehan's side hosted Offaly in the Ards venue on Sunday and in the aftermath of their 0-21 to 0-18 loss, a tweet from the Meath account calling McKenna Park a "kip" and stating that inter-county games should not be played there.

Sheehan took to social media slamming the tweet, which was swiftly deleted, before later praising the Royal County for quickly addressing the issue.

I saw that, cheeky hoor...

I bet they did lose an awful lot of sliotars at the top goals though..  ;D

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on February 06, 2023, 09:08:24 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 06, 2023, 09:00:59 AM

I saw that, cheeky hoor...

I bet they did lose an awful lot of sliotars at the top goals though..  ;D

Why were Meath commenting on the venue of a game between Down and Offaly?