21 (13.4%)
Should not have to. GAA HQ should already have called a replay
106 (67.5%)

Total Members Voted: 157

Voting closed: January 26, 2023, 11:37:12 AM

tonto1888

Quote from: PMG1 on February 02, 2023, 01:29:19 AM
Quote from: J70 on February 01, 2023, 11:59:24 AM
Forgive me if its already been discussed (I haven't read all of the thread), but is there any reason why the GAA can't do substitutions the way they do them in soccer?

At the halfway point on the sideline, players come off before substitute goes on. Ref or linesman oversees it?
You see how long it takes a soccer player to walk off when he wants to waste time? Then treble that as a player at the far corner of a GAA pitch (a smart manager would tell the player coming off to head to the far corner before sub is signalled) would have nearly 3 times as far to go, at walking or limping pace this would take too much time

Gie them 20s to get off then yellow card them if they arent off in that time

westbound

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 02, 2023, 09:45:18 AM
Forgive me if its already been discussed (I haven't read all of the thread), but is there any reason why the GAA can't do substitutions the way they do them in soccer?

At the halfway point on the sideline, players come off before substitute goes on. Ref or linesman oversees it?
You see how long it takes a soccer player to walk off when he wants to waste time? Then treble that as a player at the far corner of a GAA pitch (a smart manager would tell the player coming off to head to the far corner before sub is signalled) would have nearly 3 times as far to go, at walking or limping pace this would take too much time

Getting a yellow card as you are walking off the pitch isn't much punishment (unless it's a second yellow) in a sport where yellow cards don't accumulate

Cavan19

Quote from: westbound on February 02, 2023, 03:40:32 PM

Getting a yellow card as you are walking off the pitch isn't much punishment (unless it's a second yellow) in a sport where yellow cards don't accumulate
Give them a black then that wouldn't be long speeding them up.

tonto1888

Quote from: westbound on February 02, 2023, 03:40:32 PM

Fair enough. A black, as has been suggested

Rossfan

If you black the man going off, does the substitution get cancelled?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on February 02, 2023, 04:17:37 PM
If you black the man going off, does the substitution get cancelled?

Depends if he's on the pitch or not lol!! That's another can or worms

Make it simple, subs are being made, stop the watch, been doing it for years and will continue to do so, players enter the pitch, blow whistle and restart the watch.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

PMG1

They are coming off anyway so unless they are already on a yellow card then they are not going to worry about getting one. It's not like soccer where yellow cards are totted up and you get suspended once you get a certain amount

bennydorano

Quote from: PMG1 on February 03, 2023, 01:28:35 AM

They are coming off anyway so unless they are already on a yellow card then they are not going to worry about getting one. It's not like soccer where yellow cards are totted up and you get suspended once you get a certain amount
You'd imagine the introduction of something like this is an absolute certainty to eventually come out of this mess. I would also introduce no subs in injury time to cut out the knavery that KC were at too - not unique to them obviously.

Armagh18

Quote from: bennydorano on February 03, 2023, 08:11:01 AM

You'd imagine the introduction of something like this is an absolute certainty to eventually come out of this mess. I would also introduce no subs in injury time to cut out the knavery that KC were at too - not unique to them obviously.
I wouldnt do that tbh, just let the ref stop the watch while the sub is being made.

Milltown Row2

Subs and injury time is the only means a ref has to actually stop play, that's always been the case, I'd introduce time wasting by free takers or give them 15 20 seconds to line up a free. Keepers are the worst for it also looking for footballs while one is sitting in the net.

If deemed time wasting by the keeper a hop ball on the 14 would quicken up his kicks
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/02/02/gaa-director-general-says-association-was-right-not-to-intervene-in-club-final-disciplinary-process/

"GAA director general Tom Ryan said at the launch of his annual report in Croke Park that it was correct for the association to follow its procedures rather than make special provision for an All-Ireland final or issue statements about the controversy."

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 03, 2023, 08:51:36 AM
Subs and injury time is the only means a ref has to actually stop play, that's always been the case, I'd introduce time wasting by free takers or give them 15 20 seconds to line up a free. Keepers are the worst for it also looking for footballs while one is sitting in the net.

If deemed time wasting by the keeper a hop ball on the 14 would quicken up his kicks

Yeah, GAA has so much to learn from other sports but so backward at times as it's preceived the rule has come from soccer or rugby etc. Crazy.

I think they're introducing a shot clock, or trialing it in rugby for a conversion after a try. A great idea to cut down on how long it takes.

I mean in  the GAA, the ball is in play for about 30 mins during a game. Other 30 mins it's out of play. Really teams are playing for 30 mins.

Maybe each half should be 40 mins long nowadays.

Armagh18

Quote from: marty34 on February 03, 2023, 09:24:30 AM

Yeah, GAA has so much to learn from other sports but so backward at times as it's preceived the rule has come from soccer or rugby etc. Crazy.

I think they're introducing a shot clock, or trialing it in rugby for a conversion after a try. A great idea to cut down on how long it takes.

I mean in  the GAA, the ball is in play for about 30 mins during a game. Other 30 mins it's out of play. Really teams are playing for 30 mins.

That would just put  more and more emphasis on the fitness side rather than the skill side. Ever look at a top intercounty players gps stats? Madness.  even the average club player is putting up big numbers these days

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on February 03, 2023, 09:24:30 AM

We have introduced a shot clock anyways with the 'mark' 15 seconds and there isn't any issues

Franko

Quote from: bennydorano on February 03, 2023, 08:11:01 AM

I'd throw this up for discussion too.

The ref can add on the time OK, but every bit as much as killing time, teams use the subs to kill momentum in the dying seconds/minutes.