Club hurling championships 2022

Started by johnnycool, November 06, 2022, 07:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Dunloy fought like tigers but look like coming up a little short. They missed a few chances that could have put Ballyhale under more pressure but they died with their boots on.

Wildweasel74

Wildweasel74

Dunloy were missing scorable chances mid way through the first half, you can't do that at this level as very chance counts against a great Ballyhale team, They run 5 off without reply making a 2pt game look a easy game.

imtommygunn

Cody just doesn't miss. A lesson in being clinical to a point. I think Dunloy will be better for this. Physical wise they have still a bit of development to go here. With it I would hope they would be a lot closer.

seafoid

It's all about what they learn from this. If they beat Sleacht next year you never know

Wildweasel74

I find the different between northern teams and the southern teams is stick work and better striking ability from distance for points.

johnnycool

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 22, 2023, 02:46:44 PM
E Cody on fire today.

Indeed, very much the difference in the second half. Big shout out to McGarry in at full back, Ballyhale gave up in lobbing the ball in there and only pulled away when they started taking points from out the field.
Dunloy will rue the balls dropping short but a young team gave it a good shot.
Now to get back there

johnnycool

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 22, 2023, 02:54:04 PM
I find the different between northern teams and the southern teams is stick work and better striking ability from distance for points.

Ballyhale are far more used to these types of games, Dunloy aren't and that's the biggest difference.

Saffrongael

It didn't matter in the end but Adrian Mullen a miss for Ballyhale
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

seafoid

It wasn't a problem in the semi

seafoid

What's the average age of each team? Ballyhale aren't going to win much more. TJ is not eternal.
Dunloy are back after a long hiatus.

All Irelands are all about dominant teams that rise and fall . Who else is going to be a threat in the next 5 years ?
Ballygunner, Ballyhale, St Thomas' and Sleacht dominated the last 4 or 5 years.

clonadmad

The key difference today was the ball striking

Just before half time Dunlop hit a very poor wide when they had momentum

They also hit 3/4 short into the ballyhale keepers hand contrast with Ballyhale and their point scoring from distance

And also coughed up 2 points from their own short puckouts

SaffronSports

Thought Dunloy did well for about 40 of the 60 mins but they had a bad run toward the end of both halves which was ultimately the difference.

Think they made a mistake pulling Coby and Keelan so deep late on. There was one stage Keelan hit one from miles out and it dropped short but there was one Dunloy man in there and four Ballyhale. There was four in it at that stage and only mins left so needed a goal but had nobody in there.

Ballyhale done quite well against the Dunloy forwards to be fair and completely nullified Nigel Elliott who has been very important all year.

Good age profile in Dunloy and they might get another handy enough one in Antrim but I do think Loughgiel and them are set for some big battles over the next couple of years. Some quality minor teams over the past few years and as those lads get older that's where Dunloy's next big challenge is coming from.

Armagh18

Fair play to Dunloy, don't know much about hurling but thought they gave a really good account of themselves today, always underdogs due to Ballyhales experience. Hope to see them back again next year, days like today will stand to them.

Saffrongael

When you look at Dunloys scoring totals against Slaghneil 2-12, St Thomas 1-14 it was always going to need a decent increase on that to beat Ballyhale and it just didn't look likely, though they stuck in their rightly
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come