Premier League 2023-2024

Started by Dire Ear, July 31, 2022, 12:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: keep her low this half on January 31, 2023, 10:43:28 AM
Quote from: trailer on January 31, 2023, 10:32:39 AM
I'd be worried if I was a Chelsea fan. Spending all this money. It's not a viable financial model. In a year or two they could find themselves doing a Leeds if the owner gets fed up. This is were there should be proper safeguards but City have got away with it and looks like Chelsea will as well.
In fairness to Chelsea they started like this under Roman before calming down and running a (reasonably) sensible policy, made a lot of money from youth players sales in the last 10 years. Current owner seems nuts but may well calm down although it does seem strange to completely dismantle a squad that won the champions league a couple of years ago. Plus the transfer fees are off the scale.

The spending is crazy but it is these 6,7 and 8 year contracts that I reckon is more worrying. They could end up with a squad of Winston Bogarts. High risk stuff.

NAG1

The EPL or maybe UEFA have already clamped down on this loophole to the FFP. Those long contracts are simply designed to allow the buying club more time to pay the transfer fee off. More payments rather than having a huge lump sum up front.

jcpen

I can never understand how these big clubs get caught up in this Transfer deadline day hype.
If you want a player why not sign him the first week of the transfer window, why leave it so late, sometimes it comes down to the last few hours. Why all the panic on the last day when you have a whole month to do business.
This is one of my 3 usernames.

shark

Quote from: jcpen on January 31, 2023, 11:54:57 AM
I can never understand how these big clubs get caught up in this Transfer deadline day hype.
If you want a player why not sign him the first week of the transfer window, why leave it so late, sometimes it comes down to the last few hours. Why all the panic on the last day when you have a whole month to do business.

I work in technology sales. Last week of the financial year is the biggest. When all parties involved in a negotiation know that there is a deadline , then there will be incentive for one side to ensure it goes to the last minute in order to draw the maximum concessions.

shark

I'd be worried if I was a Chelsea fan. Spending all this money. It's not a viable financial model. In a year or two they could find themselves doing a Leeds if the owner gets fed up. This is were there should be proper safeguards but City have got away with it and looks like Chelsea will as well.

The problem that the more recently successful teams (often referred to as the big 6 😏) are having is that the premier league pie has got so big that almost every team in the division can pack their squads with top class players. Yet, there are still just 4 champions league spots. When you've built your business model on being in the champions league every year , then you've got a problem.

BrotherMore6592

Quote from: trailer on January 31, 2023, 10:58:35 AM
Quote from: keep her low this half on January 31, 2023, 10:43:28 AM
In fairness to Chelsea they started like this under Roman before calming down and running a (reasonably) sensible policy, made a lot of money from youth players sales in the last 10 years. Current owner seems nuts but may well calm down although it does seem strange to completely dismantle a squad that won the champions league a couple of years ago. Plus the transfer fees are off the scale.

The spending is crazy but it is these 6,7 and 8 year contracts that I reckon is more worrying. They could end up with a squad of Winston Bogarts. High risk stuff.

Somebody's been regurgitating what they've heard on talksport this morning

laoislad

Don't like the way they are mixing the transfer deals for the women's game in with the men.
Flashed across the screen just there now  Liverpool close to finalising deal to sign.........Natasha Dowie from Reading... ::)
Maybe she'd do a job for the mens team though?!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

trailer

Quote from: laoislad on January 31, 2023, 12:30:03 PM
Don't like the way they are mixing the transfer deals for the women's game in with the men.
Flashed across the screen just there now  Liverpool close to finalising deal to sign.........Natasha Dowie from Reading... ::)

It's only a matter of time till the woke looney left and trans eejits ask for "Women" to be playing in men's sides and "Men" who identify as "women" playing for women's sides. There are no genders or sex anymore and everyone has imagined Male and Female genitals.

J70

Quote from: trailer on January 31, 2023, 12:53:15 PM

It's only a matter of time till the woke looney left and trans eejits ask for "Women" to be playing in men's sides and "Men" who identify as "women" playing for women's sides. There are no genders or sex anymore and everyone has imagined Male and Female genitals.

FFS.

Maroon Manc

Crazy stuff from Chelsea, giving all these players 7 year contracts to make it work; Eventually this will catch up with them, not all these signings will work out and getting rid might not be so easy and from a financial point of view spreading the deal over 7 years makes it tougher to turn a profit if they need to sell. Clearly going to have to sell well this summer which is obvious.

seafoid

Trans sport only works male to female, same as trans prisons.  It's such nonsense
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trailer

Quote from: seafoid on January 31, 2023, 03:35:10 PM

Trans sport only works male to female, same as trans prisons.  It's such nonsense

A load of shite that needs continually called out.

gawa316

Any relation to Southampton and Norn Iron legend Iain?

johnnycool

Quote from: gawa316 on January 31, 2023, 04:58:02 PM

Any relation to Southampton and Norn Iron legend Ian?

Luckily for her she's a niece..   ;)

BrotherMore6592

Transfer window was very quiet apart from Chelsea across all the European leagues.

Mad that in this global economic downturn there's literally one club spending like f*ck.

The lower half premier league clubs did a fair bit of business