Laois Senior Football Championship 2022

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, February 25, 2022, 03:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helix.

Quote from: Spiritof86 on July 25, 2022, 01:49:41 PM
I think Stradbally are going to be one watch . Looked very fit,hungry organised and can get stronger . There match with Graigue will be interesting.
Niall Dunne was immense for Courtwood. They will fancy there chances against Portlaoise.

They'll be out to beat Graigue after losing last year so a good chance to put it right. Courtwood as said will definitely fancy their chances. As will Park Ratheniska against a depleted killeshin.

Spiritof86

Yeah I think there's more to come from Park . Don't look out of there depth at this level . As said Killeshin down a lot of players and could be in contention for the drop if they don't overcome Park .

Countyminor

I feel like I've been b*tching and moaning about it for years but anyways, here goes.

The madness of having 16 teams at Senior and 8 at Intermediate was really exposed over the weekend. At the very least, the Senior should be trimmed down to 12. We could have a system whereby our Senior, Intermediate and Junior Championships each have 12 sides and follow an identical format. Simple, straightforward and easy to implement in theory.

Personally, I would be in favour of even more radical change. For example, we could have 8 clubs operating at Senior alongside 4 divisional sides representing the North, South, East and West as per the Divisional Championship run under Sugrue a few years ago. Every player would have access to Senior football and the championship quality would be greatly improved instantly.

We could then have another 12 sides in the Intermediate which would mean 4 current Intermediate sides would be relegated to Junior, a fair compromise in my eyes given how poor the quality is among the weaker Intermediate sides at the moment.

I think Steven Miller and LaoisToday proposed something similar a while back. I don't remember much reaction to it at the time but either way concessions will have to be made if we are to improve the standard and quality of football in this county. Of course, if people are happy with the status quo, then by all means leave the current format in place.

Heshs Umpire

I only saw our own game over the weekend but from talking to people it appears there were a lot of disappointing games.
I'd have no fear for Park-Ratheniska going straight back down. I think they have enough about them to find a win or maybe more. That first senior game is under their belts now and they'll be the better for that.
We weren't too bad but we've a very small squad this year. We badly need to avoid injuries and/or suspensions. I'd imagine Portlaoise will be anxious to prove last year was a once off to us!🙂
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Smellyball

Quote from: town1980 on July 24, 2022, 11:28:19 PM
Easy predictions

Didn't see yours posted, presume they were spot on though  :-*

The PRO

Quote from: Countyminor on July 25, 2022, 06:29:29 PM
I feel like I've been b*tching and moaning about it for years but anyways, here goes.

The madness of having 16 teams at Senior and 8 at Intermediate was really exposed over the weekend. At the very least, the Senior should be trimmed down to 12. We could have a system whereby our Senior, Intermediate and Junior Championships each have 12 sides and follow an identical format. Simple, straightforward and easy to implement in theory.

Personally, I would be in favour of even more radical change. For example, we could have 8 clubs operating at Senior alongside 4 divisional sides representing the North, South, East and West as per the Divisional Championship run under Sugrue a few years ago. Every player would have access to Senior football and the championship quality would be greatly improved instantly.

We could then have another 12 sides in the Intermediate which would mean 4 current Intermediate sides would be relegated to Junior, a fair compromise in my eyes given how poor the quality is among the weaker Intermediate sides at the moment.

I think Steven Miller and LaoisToday proposed something similar a while back. I don't remember much reaction to it at the time but either way concessions will have to be made if we are to improve the standard and quality of football in this county. Of course, if people are happy with the status quo, then by all means leave the current format in place.

There was a botched effort to do something to change the SFC format due to go before last year's convention. I think it was withdrawn. There was a convoluted "points system" in place due to relegate 4 teams for the 2024 championship but the weighting of it was all arseways and it didn't see the light of day.

Joseph's also wanted to revert to 4 groups of 4. Don't know what happened their proposal.

redsetanta

Why was the Josephs v Ballylinan game postponed.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Pugwash

Arles Kileen are nailed on to get relegated, they're a Junior team in every sense but in name.

90% of their team against Port the other evening were over the age of 34/35 and even age aside, the majority were nowhere near mobile/fit enough to be playing Senior. There are very dark times ahead for that club, Kilcruise to their credit have a crop of about 10-15 young lads between Inter/Junior B so they'll be fine long term you'd imagine.

Its hard to see anyone that will topple Port this year anyway, opposition aside the other evening the pace that they attack at is brilliant and how they transition to defend when out of possession shows huge hunger and fitness levels.

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: Pugwash on July 26, 2022, 06:32:02 PM
Arles Kileen are nailed on to get relegated, they're a Junior team in every sense but in name.

90% of their team against Port the other evening were over the age of 34/35 and even age aside, the majority were nowhere near mobile/fit enough to be playing Senior. There are very dark times ahead for that club, Kilcruise to their credit have a crop of about 10-15 young lads between Inter/Junior B so they'll be fine long term you'd imagine.

Its hard to see anyone that will topple Port this year anyway, opposition aside the other evening the pace that they attack at is brilliant and how they transition to defend when out of possession shows huge hunger and fitness levels.

Not sure it's as nailed on that Killeen get relegated as you say. They will no doubt go down at some stage over the next few years, but the two Kingston's might just be good enough to help them beat a Rosenallis/Ballylinan/Killeshin/Park. They only need one win.

The PRO

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on July 26, 2022, 06:48:20 PM

Not sure it's as nailed on that Killeen get relegated as you say. They will no doubt go down at some stage over the next few years, but the two Kingston's might just be good enough to help them beat a Rosenallis/Ballylinan/Killeshin/Park. They only need one win.
I tend to agree with this. Killeen may well go down but they are masters of survival. Apart from the 2 Kingstons, they have a couple of other good young lads in Dunne and Byrne (currently injured). I wouldn't rule them out v Rosenallis and even if they lose that, they're capable of beating one of the three other teams in the relegation playoffs.
But, that said, they are very likely to go down over the next few years.

Countyminor

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on July 26, 2022, 06:48:20 PM

I tend to agree with the take that they might well be ok. Killeen always seem to dig a win from somewhere and there are quite a few teams of similar calibre. Correct me if I'm wrong but they'll have their suspended lads back after Round 2? You'd have to respect the commitment from their players but the whole setup is madness. If your team is essentially relying on two really good forwards propped up by 13 lads with an average age of 35 and one or two sub options then you don't have a viable club.

The PRO

Joseph's v Ballylinan this evening. I kinda expect Ballylinan to give Joseph's a good run for this. Joseph's have underperformed for years now in the championship while Ballylinan, although they are damn lucky not to be an intermediate team this year, have the potential to produce a performance on any given day.
Having said all that Joseph's to grind it out by 3 or 4.

The PRO

I was miles out! Joseph's impressive but I didn't realise how short Ballylinan were. No Kevin Byrne, Seamus Lacey, Andy McEvoy, Messi Redmond, Cathail Dunne. They could struggle against CSM next weekend.

Robbo

Joe's very good tonight. Should make a semi.