Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

Hearing pitches have been a problem with pre-season and a lot of games called off due to the inclement weather. GAA clubs need to be pushing the councils for all weather facilities

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Truth hurts on March 22, 2023, 01:12:16 PM
Hearing pitches have been a problem with pre-season and a lot of games called off due to the inclement weather. GAA clubs need to be pushing the councils for all weather facilities

Again with this council nonsense. Give it up.

Truth hurts

Quote from: manwithnoplan on March 22, 2023, 02:53:54 PM

Again with this council nonsense. Give it up.

what's nonsense about pushing councillors, Jesus wept.

Johnnysboys

All weather pitches - I'm not sure the LGFA would agree here.. at their recent O'Connor cup weekend played on all weather pitches there were 3 ACL injuries. Reports are now showing a correlation between these pitches and the injury.
The question I ask is - why are clubs so over protective of their pitches? In literally 3 weeks the leagues start and all games will go ahead if the pitches are cut up or not - just let them train. Take the groups in smaller numbers on the pitch and move them around the pitch not staying in one place. I always admire the likes of Clonduff/Mayobridge/Glen who train away. If the pitch cuts up - so be it we will straighten it out when the weather gets better..

thebar

Probably at the top of their list  ;D

supersub

Quote from: Johnnysboys on March 22, 2023, 08:55:26 PM

All weather pitches - I'm not sure the LGFA would agree here.. at their recent O'Connor cup weekend played on all weather pitches there were 3 ACL injuries. Reports are now showing a correlation between these pitches and the injury.
The question I ask is - why are clubs so over protective of their pitches? In literally 3 weeks the leagues start and all games will go ahead if the pitches are cut up or not - just let them train. Take the groups in smaller numbers on the pitch and move them around the pitch not staying in one place. I always admire the likes of Clonduff/Mayobridge/Glen who train away. If the pitch cuts up - so be it we will straighten it out when the weather gets better..

Not practical if your surface is consistently saturated at times like this, and you only have one pitch. The pitch is in bits before the season evens starts. 2 of the clubs you mention have 3 pitches.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Johnnysboys on March 22, 2023, 08:55:26 PM

Clonduff and Mayobridge have floodlit training facilities. Therefore they can over train on these but keep another pitch for games. Glenn with their new facilities won't have that issue .

I don't blame clubs being protective with pitches at this time of the year, it makes sense and there will be plenty of time for matches.

Truth hurts

4 weeks on Sunday we play Donegal in Newry, this will be a great occasion. I am very confident after what has been going on in the Donegal senior set up. It will be great to set O'Rourke and Bradley staying on too.

Godsown

Near certain that Donegal match is away

Mourne Red

It is in Donegal, they were drawn first... Pressure on Laverty imo, Donegal in disarray atm lose to them would be a disaster

ardtole

Mourne Red

Quote from: ardtole on March 23, 2023, 11:47:03 AM
It's in Newry.

How come the switch? Is this where if you've not had a home Championship draw for so many years you automatically get a Home draw the next year?

ardtole

Not sure but according to Ulster gaa page it's in Newry at 2pm 23 April and the ref is to be confirmed as of yet.

The atmosphere at the league games in Newry has been excellent this year, I'm really looking forward to this game.

downtothecore

Most games I saw Donegal play this  year I thought they looked ok and held their one and arguably should have beat Armagh.  Mayo beat them well but Mayo are just a different level at the minute. They have been playing div 1 which is a much higher level than Div 3  so they would be expected to still win this.

snoopdog

I wouldn't give us much hope of beating a seasoned div 1 team regardless if they're relegated this weekend. We are div 3 for a reason and still will be next year. We've a long way to go . The McKenna cup built false hope on the squad. They were just much fitter than the other teams played. But a crack at the Tailteann is more than achievable. A few years away yet.