Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreadnought

Quote from: Truth hurts on March 07, 2023, 09:37:13 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on March 07, 2023, 09:31:56 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on March 06, 2023, 09:33:52 AM
I watched the game back last night on the iplayer and honestly it was a poor and boring performance.  The reality is that another year in division 3 will help develop us. We are tiny in comparison to other counties. Cavan took on Gearoid McKernan and big Smith. We take on Genie Brannigan, that's the difference. The difference in club v county is huge and I would think that Conor knows that today.

I think you will still get up. Think you were the best of the teams we played so far, if only you get your setup right and not sit back so much. Ye went balls out with 15 back, double or even triple sweeper, and then hurtling forward. No way you can keep that up beyond the first 20 mins. Need to work the squad better, and Laverty needs to see you're not simply Kilcoo 2.0 and that won't work as well at this level anyway. Saying all that, you were still only 2 points behind with 5 minutes of normal time left, you just had nothing left in the legs

Your run in is good. Beat Longford and Offaly (who are no great shakes), and if Westmeath and Cavan beat Fermanagh then you will have Westmeath on head to head. It might be falling over the line a bit, but I fancy your chances more than the others here

Fait assumptions, I would rather have defenders who defend than players bombing up the field and leaving gaps at the back though. Also, Cavan would be in the shake up for Ulster. They have the physique for it.

I think so too. We've a big squad, and strong. Our S&C guy has been doing great work, and we looked far stronger than anyone in this division. We know we have the size and talent to go at Ulster, after winning it in 20. Just that disaster of a Covid league and a post win hangover caught us bad. We should never have been down this far in League

redandblackareback

Quote from: Truth hurts on March 07, 2023, 09:05:39 AM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on March 07, 2023, 07:37:54 AM
I'll give them every chance. McGeeney went for strong powerful lads.
And he doesn't f and blind along the sideline at his players
I'm talkin about some antics that have no place

If you are heading to a football match and do not expect cursing then I recommend benediction on a Monday night in Downpatrick Cathedral instead. The anti Kilcoo mafia are circling after a narrow defeat by the south Down aristocracy. Every manager including Pete McGrath has been hounded out by our supporters. People need to look at the bigger picture and down the road instead of a quick fix. Paddy Tally should never of been hounded out but two clowns at a county meeting proposed and seconded it. Would people relax, we have o earn to be in division 2 next year. Lets face reality.
Some difference between cursing and verbally abusing your own players, opposition players and officials as Smurfy said. His behaviour in the Antrim game, Fermanagh, Westmeath game and Cavan games were well below what's expected of a senior inter county manager.

Why has no captain been announced? Why has no full squad list been announced? The endless list of late changes to the programme all Kilcoo nonsense that might fool a few club teams here and there but certainly doesn't at this level. As that Cavan poster correctly pointed out, we should still get promoted, it's the least you would expect for the money that has been spent and the three month head start we got on those teams.

Truth hurts

Quote from: redandblackareback on March 07, 2023, 10:35:00 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on March 07, 2023, 09:05:39 AM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on March 07, 2023, 07:37:54 AM
I'll give them every chance. McGeeney went for strong powerful lads.
And he doesn't f and blind along the sideline at his players
I'm talkin about some antics that have no place

If you are heading to a football match and do not expect cursing then I recommend benediction on a Monday night in Downpatrick Cathedral instead. The anti Kilcoo mafia are circling after a narrow defeat by the south Down aristocracy. Every manager including Pete McGrath has been hounded out by our supporters. People need to look at the bigger picture and down the road instead of a quick fix. Paddy Tally should never of been hounded out but two clowns at a county meeting proposed and seconded it. Would people relax, we have o earn to be in division 2 next year. Lets face reality.
Some difference between cursing and verbally abusing your own players, opposition players and officials as Smurfy said. His behaviour in the Antrim game, Fermanagh, Westmeath game and Cavan games were well below what's expected of a senior inter county manager.

Why has no captain been announced? Why has no full squad list been announced? The endless list of late changes to the programme all Kilcoo nonsense that might fool a few club teams here and there but certainly doesn't at this level. As that Cavan poster correctly pointed out, we should still get promoted, it's the least you would expect for the money that has been spent and the three month head start we got on those teams.

Redandblackareback I think you need therapy for the anger you show towards the senior management and the county board. You never have anything positive to say. Its senior intercounty, Not u9 go games in Drumaness.

Why has no captain been announced?  Does that keep you awake at night lol

redandblackareback

Considering captaining the county TH is the greatest honour for any young footballer and their club he is denying that person the honour. Not that he cares as it's only about him and kilcoo that really matters, you seem pretty invested in it all, are you getting fed by the EOS cash cow too? There is plenty on the golden ticket, from Brannigans gym to his kilcoo buddies on the management team, all getting well looked after.

Truth hurts

Quote from: redandblackareback on March 07, 2023, 11:14:06 AM
Considering captaining the county TH is the greatest honour for any young footballer and their club he is denying that person the honour. Not that he cares as it's only about him and kilcoo that really matters, you seem pretty invested in it all, are you getting fed by the EOS cash cow too? There is plenty on the golden ticket, from Brannigans gym to his kilcoo buddies on the management team, all getting well looked after.

If EOS want to spend their money that way then that's fair enough. Sure Aaron will just give up his heating and lighting and facilities for nothing then, you are deluded and very bitter. Why would you even go to a match.

I am sure a captain will be announced, that honour won't be denied.

SHEEDY

The anti kilcoo/ anti Connor Laverty brigade are back out in full force after a defeat. Some posters will be sitting at home praying for the county to get beat so they can come here to vent. Embarrassing stuff.
nil satis nisi optimum

Brick Tamlin

Is anyone really surprised there are be those waiting with knives sharpened?
Its the way it was always going to be when polarising figures were appointed to positions of authority by the powers that be.
Im sure Laverty cares very little what anonymous figures on internet forums say about his style, behaviour or team selections.

manwithnoplan

As mentioned, I doubt Laverty will worry about what is said on this forum. No matter what his motivations may be, it's in his best interest to have Down win games and be as successful as possible anyway. So regardless of personal opinions on the management, we should all be willing to get behind that squad of players who have been working their arses off to get themselves in to the condition to win football matches. It's a rebuild of sorts, anyone expecting silverware this year is deluded. It took other counties years of building to eventually compete. Down will be no different. So what we can do is get behind the team and try to see the positives, and support them as far as they may go this year.

Truth hurts

These dissenting voices are the grumblers who have hounded out people like Jim McCorry, Eamon Burns RIP and Paddy Tally in the past. Nothing is ever good enough for them. The culture of sacking managers in Down is a disgrace. Bryansford stayed in the first division last year which was a great achievement as they were very poor at the start of the year. Yest a committee thought this wasn't good enough and sacked them.

harryR

If every player was willing to commit in the county, realistically how many players would get in the 15 that isn't on the county panel now

Truth hurts

Dabs at a push and that's it.

DuffGael

Quote from: harryR on March 07, 2023, 04:07:13 PM
If every player was willing to commit in the county, realistically how many players would get in the 15 that isn't on the county panel now
All of these would be in with a good shout of the team. 2 Guinness And McGeogh from Carryduff', Quinn from Mayobridge, Dabs and possibly Ward from Kilcoo,

snoopdog

Quote from: DuffGael on March 08, 2023, 05:08:49 AM
All of these would be in with a good shout of the team. 2 Guinness And McGeogh from Carryduff', Quinn from Mayobridge, Dabs and possibly Ward from Kilcoo,
And is there a reason they aren't iin the panel? Is Quinn travelling? Injuries or any other reason keeping the rest out? So pretty much the best players in the county are making themselves available?  Will Mooney be available when back from injury or has he retired from county?

Truth hurts

Yes they are travelling, Ward is just left and is gone for a year. He will be a loss to Kilcoo in midfield.

5times5times

And how many would start for the big Ulster sides of Derry/Tyrone or even Armagh??

McEvoy/Kerr/Murdock?