Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

I don't think many teams would be struggling.
70% of clubs got some work done this past 10 years and have fully floodlite lights and a second pitch
Kilcoo Clonduff Dromara Ballymartin Mayobridge Burren CPN Bright to name a few
Ballyholland would be struggling from what I hear
A question for wobbler and a genuine one would Ballyholland not have been better to build a wee pitch where the stand is and floodlight it? Is the stand necessary when you could have had a pitch. This is only from someone looking in I could be totally wrong

Truth hurts

Quote from: Smurfy123 on February 24, 2023, 10:41:37 AM
70% of clubs got some work done this past 10 years and have fully floodlite lights and a second pitch
A question for wobbler and a genuine one would Ballyholland not have been better to build a wee pitch where the stand is and floodlight it? Is the stand necessary when you could have had a pitch. This is only from someone looking in I could be totally wrong

Would Warrenpoint not struggle without St Marks and Milltown?

What would happen if clubs like Rostrevor, Burren etc started looking access to St Marks?

urbangael

Tomorrow night against West Meath is a must win IMO to keep our chances of promotion alive.  If Ryan Johnston is training he should start.  He offers more that all our forwards with the exception of Pat Havern and Liam kerr who have been excellent.  Great ball carrier and has a bit of muscle for round the middle sector.  I think Fermangh bullied us a bit.  Gilmour has been going well too and should also start leaving 2 forward slots up for grabs. Think Donnelly will get another chance with Murdock in the middle, GK selection will be interesting.  Definitely the biggest game so far under Laverty's short tenure.  Lets get behind the lads.  GAA recognise its a big game too with the appointment of Gough as referee, arguably the best ref in Ireland over the last 10 years.

SticksandStones

Quote from: Truth hurts on February 24, 2023, 10:54:55 AM

What would happen if clubs like Rostrevor, Burren etc started looking access to St Marks?

I've heard even recently that Longstone are using derryleckagh playing fields, I'm by no means suggesting that they aren't allowed to if you book it work away. But with the amount of clubs round the Kilkeel area is there no facilities closer for them? Even if not round that area you'd think the likes of Newcastle or even Castlewellan would be closer

6th sam

Would agree with TH, most Gaa clubs have in excess of 10 teams and with hurling camogie and Lgfa all requiring pitch time, there aren't enough hours in the day to accommodate these teams on two pitches never mind one . With drying up of grant funding and difficulty developing a second pitch NMD need to be offering more GAA pitches. In the Downpatrick area the redhigh is unbookable due to demand , and summer closure, and Dunleath now has no GAA pitch. This should be re-provided urgently.

Johnnysboys

[/quote]

They wouldn't get it as it's our facility for the foreseeable. We have a 25 year agreement in place with the school that is only 9 years active. So we have plenty of time remaining. Without the school and Milltown we would be in trouble for sure. The sooner phase two of the development at Moygannon starts the better.

thewobbler

Harps are now in the 4th year of a planning battle to build a second field that runs behind the stand. We need to take a few metres of bog (we own) to make this happen and it continues to be the falling down point. We are in the unfortunate position that the needs of newts and bats moving a couple of metres, has somehow trumped the needs of a community.

You honestly couldn't make it up. But that's where we are at.

snoopdog

Quote from: thewobbler on February 25, 2023, 12:45:18 AM

Harps are now in the 4th year of a planning battle to build a second field that runs behind the stand. We need to take a few metres of bog (we own) to make this happen and it continues to be the falling down point. We are in the unfortunate position that the needs of newts and bats moving a couple of metres, has somehow trumped the needs of a community.

You honestly couldn't make it up. But that's where we are at.
it's not as if it's a known fact that bog is usually protected.

Lotto

Kilcoo not doing great against Westmeath in Newry tonight, getting beat by 6 with 20 to go.

Nanderson

Quote from: Lotto on February 25, 2023, 07:14:53 PM
Kilcoo not doing great against Westmeath in Newry tonight, getting beat by 6 with 20 to go.
:-X
Dragged over the line by Kilcoo in the end

Lotto

thewobbler

Big result.

Down's developed stones for the first time in years. Well done lads.

downtothecore

Great result. Pressure was on Down and lavery tonight particularly with the changes  in second half with a number of kilcoo lads introduced. At lot of folk ready to criticise but it worked out in the end. Tough match against cavan next week but we are well capable of getting a result in breffni.

SHEEDY

Big result, some turnaround in last 20 minutes. Looked a lost cause when Westmeath were 7 or 8 up. Down just couldn't work a score and were getting turned over easily time after time.  Subs definitely made a difference and the crowd really got behind the team, great atmosphere in those last 5 minutes.
Lotto must be raging
nil satis nisi optimum

ardtole

I thought Ryan Johnson made a considerable difference when he came on tonight, in the past I thought he flattered to deceive at times, at county level. But he looked the part tonight.

Murdock and Doherty had their best games this year while Havern and Kerr until late on were quiet enough. Gilmore is very promising, always poses a goal threat.