Paul Galvin Retires from Inter County Football

Started by Two Hands FFS, February 01, 2014, 08:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

See that. What a force of nature he was in his prime. A great loss to Kerry, but he has been waning the last year or so. Kerry definitely in rebuild mode now. I think Declan O'S is staying on, but he'll not have too many years left himself.

Syferus

Sad to see him go - class, attitude and madness in descending order of importance. At the heart of one of the best county teams of all-time.

It's always hard to like Kerry players when they're still playing, but such is the station a county with that much success has to 'endure'. It's easy to do it in retrospect with Galvin. The GAA would be a better place if it had a few more players with Galvin's magnetism, on and off the field.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

squire_in_navy_slacks

muppet

Seems like a rushed decision so it might be reversed, especially if Kerry do badly in the League. The thought of Cork in early summer might be too much for him to resist, although he will miss Noel O'Leary terribly.

If he has gone though, it has to be said that he was a key man on a great team. He dug Kerry out many times by repeatedly winning the dirty ball and quickly moving it to a well placed colleague. On his day no one did this job better than Galvin.

And he saved many a ref from wasps.
MWWSI 2017

Main Street

He was also handy shot with a duster.
He's one teacher i would think twice about giving a smack to.

He could be a mad cnt at times but he was a class act with the ball in his hand, one of the outstanding players in recent times.

SHEEDY

one of my favourite players, brilliant player in his prime. hope he changes his mind and gives it one last lash for the summer.
nil satis nisi optimum

orangeman

I think he'll be back as well for the Munster final.

Aaron Boone

It's 4 and 1/2 months to Kerry v Clare/Waterford. 2 weeks more to the seeded-draw Munster final v Cork.

Paul can take his time to reflect and return for the last hurrah.

Syferus

Don't see why Galvin deciding to retire has elicited such a disproportionate number of dis-believers here. He's 34, 16 years of IC football at all grades on the clock, probably likely to have only been a super sub this season. I wouldn't be at all confident in him ever playing again unless there is a huge injury crisis.

AZOffaly

Kerry do have a recent history of getting a second coming out of retired players, like Mike McCarthy and Eoin Brosnan, and I know fitzmaurice was looking at Galvin in a 6 shirt which would have been interesting. Must not have been working out too well.

Shamrock Shore

Great player.

Someone once told me that every good football team has to have a 'sch-kut' on it to be successful. Galvin was such a player.

Can see us all becoming metrosexual and wearing his fashion range in years to come.

rodney trotter

He played centre back last week against Crokes in a challenge for Kerry and  wasn't happy with how it went, word on twittter. Also couldn't give the full commitment as he  is now based in Dublin