Qualifiers

Started by snoopdog, May 30, 2011, 03:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

so after another disappointing Ulster championship campaign we once again find ourselves in the qualifiers.

Does anyone know when this is likely to start think i heard Weekend of June 25th,

i take it draw wont be made for a while

Teams so far in qualifiers
Down
London
Antrim
Fermanagh
Sligo
Clare
Tipp
Longford
Wicklow
Offaly

Farrandeelin

Mayo will probably end up in it later on in the year too.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ross4life

Quote from: snoopdog on May 30, 2011, 03:33:58 PM
so after another disappointing Ulster championship campaign we once again find ourselves in the qualifiers.

Does anyone know when this is likely to start think i heard Weekend of June 25th,

i take it draw wont be made for a while

Teams so far in qualifiers
Down
London
Antrim
Fermanagh
Sligo
Clare
Tipp
Longford
Wicklow
Offaly

Down the pick of the bunch there though another 6 teams have to be added yet! i'd say the draw is on June 12th
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

borderfox

Loser of Meath/Kildare has to join as well as Monaghan/Tyrone.Tough enough if you were drawn against one of those or even Sligo for instance.
If you are to join the qualifiers the best time is after a provincial semi final defeat IMO.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 30, 2011, 04:59:33 PM

sooner rather than later would you not think
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Blowitupref

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on May 30, 2011, 05:58:29 PM

I'd still fancy Mayo for Connacht regardless of yesterdays game.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

balladmaker

QuoteI'd still fancy Mayo for Connacht regardless of yesterdays game.

Not without Billy Joe ...  ;)

PAULD123

I think pretty much everyone would agree that Down will win the next match, that list of qualifiers are all a standard below us. But god it is disappointing. The only thing to hope for is that winning will start to give us momentum like last year. Also we get football pretty much every week (if we keep winning) which I like.

But lets not try to fool ourselves, we really really wanted Ulster this year. Ok, we will be looking to the positives that could come from a good qualifier run but we never wanted to be hear and I am quite willing to admit that I am depressed that we are.

PAULD123

Quote from: hardstation on May 31, 2011, 10:54:09 AM
Quote from: PAULD123 on May 31, 2011, 10:47:43 AM
I think pretty much everyone would agree that Down will win the next match, that list of qualifiers are all a standard below us. But god it is disappointing. The only thing to hope for is that winning will start to give us momentum like last year. Also we get football pretty much every week (if we keep winning) which I like.

But lets not try to fool ourselves, we really really wanted Ulster this year. Ok, we will be looking to the positives that could come from a good qualifier run but we never wanted to be hear and I am quite willing to admit that I am depressed that we are.
Oh dear.

Come on Hardstation, that's not foolish arrogance, tell me honestly is there a team there that you think Armagh wouldn't not only beat but hammer? They are all division 3/4 teams. Armagh would tear any of those sides to pieces. Down are definitely better than any of those sides and it would be a major shock if we lost to any of them.

Canalman

Quote from: PAULD123 on May 31, 2011, 10:47:43 AM

Sweet Jesus!...... has to be one of the most arrogant posts ever on this board.

Dublin/Laois or Meath/Kildare to be thrown into the mix shortly  with alot more good sides to follow.

PAULD123

Because Kildare & Laois had already played I was assuming they were out of this stage of the qualifiers. I forgot to check that their games had in fact been preliminary matches.

True if we get drawn against Kildare, Meath, Laois, Donegal or Monaghan then we would have a tough game that would be far from a shock if we lost. If we were drawn against Dublin or Tyrone then we probably would be expected to lose. However no one expects Dublin, Tyrone, Kildare (probably) or Donegal to be in this stage of the qualifiers.

That leaves probably Cavan, Monaghan, Meath & Laois to be added to the list above along with Carlow, & Westmeath or Wexford.

If we draw Monaghan, Meath or Laois then, yes I would expect to be favourites and to win, but far from easily. If we play any of the rest then we will be Heavily favourites for the game (i.e. expected to win). Just because we played badly at the weekend doesn't suddenly make us a bad team, nor does it suddenly make the other teams as good as Armagh. Armagh would beat any of the teams listed once you realistically remove Dublin, Kildare, Donegal & Tyrone.

PAULD123

Quote from: hardstation on May 31, 2011, 11:53:29 AM
You just keep digging.....

If I were you, I'd wait and see who you are drawn against before shooting your mouth off about what you are going to do in the qualifiers.

Okay, that does indeed sound like good advice. I am a bit too honest for my own good at times. But we are a good team despite our bad display on Saturday and we were beaten by a team that really put in an impressive performance.

But your advice sounds wise and sensible

lynchbhoy

Quote from: PAULD123 on May 31, 2011, 12:01:35 PM
If I were you, I'd wait and see who you are drawn against before shooting your mouth off about what you are going to do in the qualifiers.
Okay, that does indeed sound like good advice. I am a bit too honest for my own good at times. But we are a good team despite our bad display on Saturday and we were beaten by a team that really put in an impressive performance.
someone must have hi-jacked his account !!  ;)

PAULD123

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 31, 2011, 12:12:09 PM
Quote from: PAULD123 on May 31, 2011, 12:01:35 PM
someone must have hi-jacked his account !!  ;)

Be careful now - perhaps you should heed the same advice, Derry still have to play Armagh so you could easily end up in the qualifiers too. And remember it was only last week that you claimed you are "The Arsenal of Gaelic football"

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on May 30, 2011, 05:58:29 PM

Well yes, but sooner on in the year isn't one of my expressions. ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.