May 28th LSFC time change, common sense prevails

Started by snoopdog, May 12, 2011, 03:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Good to see the Leinster council have a bit of sense unlike their idiot
counterparts in Ulster who refuse to change Armagh v Down match. Some sort of siege mentality by the Ulster board, how dare the spectators want to also see the Champions league final.

[i]Offaly's Leinster SFC first round game against Wexford on Saturday, May 28 has been brought forward to avoid a clash with the Champions League final.

Originally scheduled to throw in at 7pm in Tullamore's O'Connor Park, the game will now get underway at 5pm, meaning supporters will also be able to catch the big soccer final between Barcelona and Manchester United, which is being shown on several TV channels at 7.45pm.[/i]

SLIGONIAN

Ya but snoopdog where is the line drawn, like last weekend my club match clashed with manu chel, there have been loads of clashes all yr like fa cup semi of city and manu, etc.... i was at all Sligos league games and clashes there too, the ulster council arent stopping anyone from seeing the champions league final, its up to you or anyone to make the choice..but its not an ideal for either party, alot of people work saturdays now and bringing game to 5.00 could impact those people wanting to go to USFC match,
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 12, 2011, 04:14:33 PM
Ya but snoopdog where is the line drawn, like last weekend my club match clashed with manu chel, there have been loads of clashes all yr like fa cup semi of city and manu, etc.... i was at all Sligos league games and clashes there too, the ulster council arent stopping anyone from seeing the champions league final, its up to you or anyone to make the choice..but its not an ideal for either party, alot of people work saturdays now and bringing game to 5.00 could impact those people wanting to go to USFC match,

Very valid point, I'd be effing raging if I was working on a Saturday and the Leinster Council moved a Championship game I wanted to get to up to 5 o'clock just because there is some other game in some other code on in some other country.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Vaid point, but I suppose it's a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Quite apart from the usual indo suspects going on about the GAA refusing to accomodate people blah blah blah, we do have to accept that a lot of people will be interested in watching the Champion's League final as well. In fact, a lot of those people would opt for that over a first round championship match.

As such, at least this decision allows more of those people the chance to go to Tullamore, and then watch the match at home or around the pubs of the town afterwards.

Of course, it will inconvenience a lot of people who work on Saturdays, but again I refer to my damned if you do... comment. I'd say on balance, it's probably the correct decision.

In terms of drawing the line, I suppose it would be drawn whereever it makes most economic sense to be honest, especially for county games. I doubt it would factor into too many club games.

Groucho

With regard to the Ulster Championship match I think these ticket prices will make up a lot of peoples minds :o

TICKET PRICES     STR       EURO   

Adult Seated      £23.00   € 27.00

Adult Terrace     £13.00   € 15.00

Senior Citizen Seated   £15.00   € 15.00

Senior Citizen Terrace   £9.00    € 10.00

Student Terrace    £9.00    € 10.00

Family Seated 1 + 1      £28.00   € 32.00
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

Don Johnson

I missed the Down v Tyrone game last year because I work on Saturdays.

laoislad

Great decision and it works both ways also as I'm sure Messi,Xavi and co are also delighted now as they will be able see the Biffos v The Yellow bellys.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 12, 2011, 04:30:09 PM
Vaid point, but I suppose it's a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Quite apart from the usual indo suspects going on about the GAA refusing to accomodate people blah blah blah, we do have to accept that a lot of people will be interested in watching the Champion's League final as well. In fact, a lot of those people would opt for that over a first round championship match.

As such, at least this decision allows more of those people the chance to go to Tullamore, and then watch the match at home or around the pubs of the town afterwards.

Of course, it will inconvenience a lot of people who work on Saturdays, but again I refer to my damned if you do... comment. I'd say on balance, it's probably the correct decision.

In terms of drawing the line, I suppose it would be drawn whereever it makes most economic sense to be honest, especially for county games. I doubt it would factor into too many club games.
Personally i rather accomodate those that are working than those who want to see champions league final. This to me is just another example that in Ulster there more in touch with our ethos than any other province, the GAA means more up North imo. Those ticket prices are cheaper than our Connacht qtr final v leitrim which are 30 euro for stand and 20 euro terrace. So again the Ulstermen lead the way.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Rossfan

Prenty and the Blazers robbing the people of Ireland's poorest Province once again the plaidhceanna. >:(
As for changing throw in time to avoid clashing with foreign events.... keep that up and all our games will be played at 3 am on Wednesdays. :(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

I assume if they get a poor crowd at the Armagh v Down game they will blame CL final on the same day, kinda like how they blamed the world cup for poor attendance last year.

Those ticket prices are ridiculous.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Stevie Nicks

Quote from: Rossfan on May 12, 2011, 07:23:43 PM
Prenty and the Blazers robbing the people of Ireland's poorest Province once again the plaidhceanna. >:(
As for changing throw in time to avoid clashing with foreign events.... keep that up and all our games will be played at 3 am on Wednesdays. :(

Absolutely right, do the Ulster Council need to look at potential clashes when setting dates in October. I am a Utd fan but will be in the Athletic Grounds at 730pm for throw in and watch cl final when get home. Hopefully a Utd Ard Mhacha double! What's the chances ???

snoopdog

I dont believe any championship matches should be played on a saturday.
The All Ireland QF's are the most rediculous of all on the Sat.
If you work in retail you have no chance of attending.

I understand that there will always be something on to clash with championship, Champions league final is the biggest soccer match of the year and if an English team are involved then any GAA match that clashes with it will suffer, Especially if it is United or Liverpool.
At the end of the day the GAA are dependant on the paying public. I would however be confident that Down Armagh will still be near sell out. i would be interested to see how many neutrals tune in to this match though, very few do on a sat eve anyhow.
2 tv's in the livingroom could be an option.

ross4life

Not a fan of the Saturday Championship games myself & i have some bad memories from them too! Though i wouldn't miss seeing my county team for anything & in the era of Sky plus you can watch the CL final when you get home anyways.

TV viewers is the main thing that has to be addressed as most will switch over to ITV/SKY

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Orangemac

Those ticket prices are on the high side, should be no more than £20 for seats and £10 for terrace. These prices combined with the CL final will probably ensure the game is not a sell out.

According to Christy Cooney in today's Irish News the clash of games is "not good for the TV companies, it is not good for our partners and sponsors or our supporters so we have to recognise all that".

Good to see he has his priorites right. Well his salary won't pay itself I suppose.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Orangemac on May 12, 2011, 11:19:42 PM
Those ticket prices are on the high side, should be no more than £20 for seats and £10 for terrace. These prices combined with the CL final will probably ensure the game is not a sell out.

According to Christy Cooney in today's Irish News the clash of games is "not good for the TV companies, it is not good for our partners and sponsors or our supporters so we have to recognise all that".

Good to see he has his priorites right. Well his salary won't pay itself I suppose.

Holy God, he called us supporters, not patrons. That's progress.