Go Games - Good or bad - discuss...

Started by heffo, April 21, 2011, 09:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

Isn't it Dromintee who rips clubs off with a £100 entry or something like that? Crazy
It should be 25-30 to enter a team and should be no waiting around for games. Any club that takes a break needs a chat with as there will always be a break for teams. Its a lot of work to organize one .
I think parents enjoy the odd one but every Saturday running to them is hassle.

Armagh18

Quote from: Truth hurts on October 18, 2022, 09:20:34 AM
Isn't it Dromintee who rips clubs off with a £100 entry or something like that? Crazy
It should be 25-30 to enter a team and should be no waiting around for games. Any club that takes a break needs a chat with as there will always be a break for teams. Its a lot of work to organize one .
I think parents enjoy the odd one but every Saturday running to them is hassle.
I was at the Dromintee one a few times- runs like absolute clockwork military precision and is a credit to them. £100 maybe doesn't sound like much but it soon adds up if you have multiple teams looking to go to multiple tournaments.

HiMucker

Glenullin run one in Derry for U9.5s and U12.5s I think. Magic set up, couldnt fault it one bit. Hooter goes for start, ht and ft so all games start and finish at the same time.

square_ball

Quote from: HiMucker on October 18, 2022, 10:49:24 AM
Glenullin run one in Derry for U9.5s and U12.5s I think. Magic set up, couldnt fault it one bit. Hooter goes for start, ht and ft so all games start and finish at the same time.

Most that I have been to over the last year or so around the different counties have been run like that. Its the only way to do it. There is nothing worse than going to a tournament and group games are still being played while others have finished up and lads left twiddling their thumbs waiting for the knockout stages. If you aren't lined out and ready to go when the hooter goes then hard luck.

trailer

Quote from: HiMucker on October 18, 2022, 10:49:24 AM

Yes hooter a great job. Keep it running on. A well run tournament is a joy. Those that drag on with the lunch break are a torture. And the Kids start messing about and that's when they hurt themselves.

square_ball

Larry not a big fan of competitive underage tournaments it seems:

QuoteGAA President Larry McCarthy says competitive Go Games tournaments (for the U12 age group) have "no place" in the Association.

Speaking at Congress in Croke Park, McCarthy referenced the High Court Case, which was resolved last week between a Dublin family and the Fingallians club in Swords. That dispute emanated from an U9 Blitz in Newry and McCarthy said competitive blitzes which were commonplace around clubs, are no suitable for Go Games players.

In Go Games no scores are kept because the emphasis is on participation and enjoyment for as many children as possible.

"It is disconcerting to see a parent sue a club because of lack of playing time for a child," said McCarthy.

"I accept totally that such behaviour is a complete outlier but when you realize that lack of playing time was the complaint most often received by Children's Officers in 30 of 32 counties last Autumn, it suggests that we may have an underlying issue that needs to be addressed.

"When our Go Games programme was launched it was rightfully lauded for its philosophy of inclusion and encouragement, essentially making sure all children had fun.

"We need to return to that founding philosophy. Competitive Go Games tournaments have no place on our calendar and I would ask you not to organise, endorse, or give permission for them to take place.

"The over-emphasis on winning at such a young age is totally anathema to the philosophy of Go Games, is damaging to children, and deters people from involvement in the Association. Fun is good."

Rudi

Quote from: square_ball on February 21, 2023, 09:34:37 AM

QuoteGAA President Larry McCarthy says competitive Go Games tournaments (for the U12 age group) have "no place" in the Association.

Speaking at Congress in Croke Park, McCarthy referenced the High Court Case, which was resolved last week between a Dublin family and the Fingallians club in Swords. That dispute emanated from an U9 Blitz in Newry and McCarthy said competitive blitzes which were commonplace around clubs, are no suitable for Go Games players.

In Go Games no scores are kept because the emphasis is on participation and enjoyment for as many children as possible.

"It is disconcerting to see a parent sue a club because of lack of playing time for a child," said McCarthy.

"I accept totally that such behaviour is a complete outlier but when you realize that lack of playing time was the complaint most often received by Children's Officers in 30 of 32 counties last Autumn, it suggests that we may have an underlying issue that needs to be addressed.

"When our Go Games programme was launched it was rightfully lauded for its philosophy of inclusion and encouragement, essentially making sure all children had fun.

"We need to return to that founding philosophy. Competitive Go Games tournaments have no place on our calendar and I would ask you not to organise, endorse, or give permission for them to take place.

"The over-emphasis on winning at such a young age is totally anathema to the philosophy of Go Games, is damaging to children, and deters people from involvement in the Association. Fun is good."

He is spot on, competition should begin at U13 - U14 level. Its disgusting to see the shouting, roaring, abuse of referees at competions for U11's. Parents & some coaches would need to chill.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Rudi on February 21, 2023, 09:51:48 AM
Quote from: square_ball on February 21, 2023, 09:34:37 AM

He is spot on, competition should begin at U13 - U14 level. Its disgusting to see the shouting, roaring, abuse of referees at competions for U11's. Parents & some coaches would need to chill.

The GAA should be doing more to protect kids in situations like this.
Kids are competitive enough on their own.
There's nothing more pathetic that watching some dad going ape on the sidelines.

DownFanatic

Down brought in a hybrid type Go Games at U-13 level in 2022. Had mixed feelings on it.

Truth hurts

Quote from: DownFanatic on February 21, 2023, 11:40:11 AM
Down brought in a hybrid type Go Games at U-13 level in 2022. Had mixed feelings on it.

2 touches at u13 level was very good and the smaller pitch helped the game.

tyrone08

I think the go games are a positive. You wouldnt believe some of the kids who have a desire to win at all ages. Do you dampen their will to win so that Joe who probably will never play gaelic after the age of 10 gets some game time? I have also seem parents being their kids to a small cup game when their child never attended training. They expected their child to play

Parents are to blame as well. I have seen 30 kids turn up to go games and everyone expects their kids to get game time.

Main issue I see with teenagers and young adults is they want everything handed to them. My view is kids working hard and being competitive while having fun is a good thing and will make them more resilient later in life

naka

go games are positive and indeed i would push to do away with competitive tournaments at u-10/u12 as parents/coaches have a win at all costs mentality to teh detriment of children`s developement

LeoMc

Quote from: tyrone08 on February 21, 2023, 01:10:03 PM
I think the go games are a positive. You wouldnt believe some of the kids who have a desire to win at all ages. Do you dampen their will to win so that Joe who probably will never play gaelic after the age of 10 gets some game time? I have also seem parents being their kids to a small cup game when their child never attended training. They expected their child to play

Parents are to blame as well. I have seen 30 kids turn up to go games and everyone expects their kids to get game time.

Main issue I see with teenagers and young adults is they want everything handed to them. My view is kids working hard and being competitive while having fun is a good thing and will make them more resilient later in life
Maybe Joe doesn't play after age 10 as he was not getting any game time.

Kidder81

Quote from: LeoMc on February 21, 2023, 01:44:41 PM

Maybe Joe doesn't play after age 10 as he was not getting any game time.

Exactly & they all develop at different ages

trailer

Whatever about tournaments (and I have very mixed feelings on these), all kids should get equal game time at a Go Game no matter what their ability is or whether their mother or father brought them to training. The clue is in the title, every child gets a Go.