New look for all Hurlers in 2010.

Started by GAA_Punter, October 29, 2009, 06:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAA_Punter

<p>GAA announced today that from 1 January 2010 the wearing of helmets with face-guards will be compulsory. All hurlers except for Seniors have had to wear helmets but from next year all players at all levels will have to keep there Helmets on for the duration of the match.<p>

<p>Head of the GAA Christy Cooney told press :- 'We have seen a reduction in the number of serious facial injuries at these grades thanks to the compulsory use of helmets in games and training and we would hope to see the same trend at senior level too.<p>

<p>'We accept that this change will provide challenges for older players not accustomed to wearing helmets and also to goalkeepers but we are confident that in time the benefits in terms of safety and player welfare will be seen to far outweigh any initial inconvenience presented by use of the helmets.'<p>

<p>There has been no comment from the GPA yet <p>.

Courtesy of http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/

orangeman

Eastern_Pride

This won't last, I'd put a house on it
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

the colonel

Old news, the vast majority new about this as it was officially announced nearly a year ago.
the difference between success and failure is energy

DuffleKing

the colonel

the difference between success and failure is energy

theskull1

should have been held off for another 5 years to ensure that large numbers  of older players don't pack it in over the head of this extra challange to be ready for next season

Face guards to some one who has never used them after 25 years hurling will be a nightmare to get used to ....some players will not be able to make this transistion
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

Quote from: theskull1 on October 30, 2009, 09:13:50 AM
should have been held off for another 5 years to ensure that large numbers  of older players don't pack it in over the head of this extra challange to be ready for next season

Face guards to some one who has never used them after 25 years hurling will be a nightmare to get used to ....some players will not be able to make this transistion

No account or consideration has been paid to these - what about goalkeepers ?

Canalman

Well flagged for a long time in the hurling fraternity. Have a faceguard on my old Cooper's helmet and looks like it will not be acceptable. If it saves one eye I'm all for it.
May have to fork out E80 for the new Cooper's helmet currently doing final safety tests I believe.

Referees here in Dublin are somewhat concerned that they will have to check all helmets before games. They may be personally liable if they don't and a lad gets hurt wearing a non approve helmet.

maxpower

what about the those still involved in there current campaigns, between Senior Intermediate & Junior Club Championships 12 teams will be in the middle of a championship campaign when this rule is introduced.

Bit unfair to ask them to now wear a helmet, has anyone confirmed this competition will still be subject to this new rule.

We (dunloy) would have 6 starters affected
What happens next????

milltown row

aye we have a few as well. about four (i think) then usually by the end of the game some lads have discarded theirs.

should be able to finish a Campaign and then bring it in.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on October 30, 2009, 09:53:12 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on October 30, 2009, 09:13:50 AM

No account or consideration has been paid to these - what about goalkeepers ?

Their answer to it, the fact that the keepers will suffer, is that they think that the suppliers will probably make new helmets for keepers.
Not really good enough.
How many keepers these days wear helmets..
It'll be a bit of an inconvience for keepers and older players who don't wear them, or even take them off through the game.
I can see why it's been done, for safety and all that, but it'll be a pain, and unfair on a lot of players. They could have waited a year or two, but at the end of the day I suppose you can argue to the moon and back that a lot of people will suffer from it, but at the end of the day, if it reduces head/face/eye..injuries then the other arguement doesn't really have a foot to stand on, no matter how unfair it is on players.

Lecale2

Eastern_Pride

Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Reillers on October 30, 2009, 08:03:15 PM
How many keepers these days wear helmets..

Lads not wearing helmets has always been a bugbear of mine. Lads that get a clip that would barely have gone unnoticed if they were wearing a helmet, automatically becomes a major issue in a referee's eyes because blood might be drawn.

But, I'd rather a readjustment of refereeing attitudes than the complete enforcement of a rule like this. A lad that gets split because he has no helmet - thats his tough, and unless it was a bad pull (which should be deemed no better or worse because the person split wasn't wearning a helmet), they should just send him to the line for treatment, and get on with the game.

The keeper thing will be interesting. It hasn't been a problem at u21 level and I know most keepers at that grade wouldn't typically wear helmets when playing senior with their clubs. But I think the lawmakers should compromise here - either allow a period of grace where keepers don't have to wear them, which will let Mycro or whoever come up with a design - or allow them wear open face helmets (with no faceguard).

Its difficult to even remember an inter-county keeper wearing a helmet. Tully from Roscommon and a Down keeper from a few years back (can't recall his name) are the only 2 that spring to mind.