Fiji
Oceania 1
Africa 1

That's a good draw for IReland.

Australia can be good or very middling.
Italy should be managable
Europe 2 should be someone like Romania/Georgia but I think the worst of those
Americas 2 will probably be someone like Canada

Oceania 1 will be Samoa or someone, so best to avoid them, and Africa 1 will be Namibia or someone like that.

Once again, the group of death is always the one with Argentina in it, because they upset the applecart completely. 20 years ago we'd be saying the top 8 countries are the old 5 Nations teams and the Tri Nations teams.

With Argentina, that group of England, Scotland and themselves is the one that looks fraught with danger for either the English or Scots. If Georgia are 'Europe 1' then it'll be tougher again.

mattockranger

terrific draw for ireland!!

austrailia are the least formidable of the tri-nations sides

Italy will be fair game but they are worse than scotland so can't complain

europe and america 2 will  hopefully take care of themselves!!

I wonder will these teams think that ireland are great draw as we're the lowest ranked top seed!
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

Dinny Breen

It's 3 years away but I think it's probably our best draw. We know we are capabale of beating Australia and we always seen to beat Italy, no pacific island nation either. Will be an interesting World Cup and no Argentina, thank f*ck...
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

I'm assuming the RWC is fairly straightforward in terms of quarterfinal draws as well. Will Group C play Group D 1st v 2nd?

We'd avoid the Argies until the semis at least in that case, and the chances of IReland reaching a semi will probably be low enough anyway, even though it is 3 years away.

On the flip side of that, it's only 15 6 Nations games away....

Main Street

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 01, 2008, 03:27:01 PM
Once again, the group of death is always the one with Argentina in it, because they upset the applecart completely. 20 years ago we'd be saying the top 8 countries are the old 5 Nations teams and the Tri Nations teams.

With Argentina, that group of England, Scotland and themselves is the one that looks fraught with danger for either the English or Scots. If Georgia are 'Europe 1' then it'll be tougher again.

With Argentina as top seeds, their presence does not make it the group of death.
Usually the  "group of death" idea refers to the strength of the lower seeds.

GalwayBayBoy

Pretty good draw alright. Far better than our last few anyway. Should have enough to beat Italy and Ireland generally don't fear playing the Aussies like they do the All-Black's. Should have beaten them in the 2003 World Cup and should have beaten them on tour there last Summer.

If they qualify they won't have an easy game in the quarters though. It'll either be South Africa or Wales.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Main Street on December 01, 2008, 03:47:39 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 01, 2008, 03:27:01 PM

With Argentina as top seeds, their presence does not make it the group of death.
Usually the  "group of death" idea refers to the strength of the lower seeds.

England and Scotland??

GalwayBayBoy

I would say England's group is the closest to a group of death as all three teams will fancy their chances of qualifying. Even Scotland beat England the last time they played and they also won down in Argentina during the Summer.

Every other group you can predict the top two easily.

Tankie

A great draw, we cant complain about that at all. I would take Italy over say Fiji as you know wat to expect from italy.
Grand Slam Saturday!

AZOffaly

Main Street, I just looked at my post again, and I phrased it badly. What I should have said was that Argentina's emergence ensures a pool of death at every WC because otherwise the 1/4 finalists would be AUS, NZ, SA, ENG, IRL, SCO, WAL, FRA.

It just seems like Argentina are always in the pool of death.

Happy now? :D

mattockranger

i can see the goys in donnybrook now!!

booking there RWC final tickets!!
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

AZOffaly

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 01, 2008, 03:57:49 PM
I would say England's group is the closest to a group of death as all three teams will fancy their chances of qualifying. Even Scotland beat England the last time they played and they also won down in Argentina during the Summer.

Every other group you can predict the top two easily.

Depending on how Wales are going in 3 years time (They are notorious for cycles) Fiji might be a fly in the ointment there, but I think you are right.

Main Street

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 01, 2008, 04:02:21 PM
Main Street, I just looked at my post again, and I phrased it badly. What I should have said was that Argentina's emergence ensures a pool of death at every WC because otherwise the 1/4 finalists would be AUS, NZ, SA, ENG, IRL, SCO, WAL, FRA.

You never made me unhappy.
The rephrasing makes more sense,
8 chairs but 9 serious contestants  :)

What did Argentina do to get seeded ahead of France?

TacadoirArdMhacha

I think its ridiculous to be making the draw at this stage but there ya go.

Good draw for Ireland. As AZ points out, with 9 top level teams in the world and 8 q/final teams, one group will always be the hardest. Argentina finally become top seeds and still end up with 2 other top nations.

As for Ireland, Italy are generally the weakest of the Europeans and are less unpredictable than a Fiji or Tonga so its hard to complain. Wales' group isn't easy if they end up having to play the Springboks, Fiji and Samoa.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

AFS

Quote from: Main Street on December 01, 2008, 04:49:49 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on December 01, 2008, 04:02:21 PM

You never made me unhappy.
The rephrasing makes more sense,
8 chairs but 9 serious contestants  :)

What did Argentina do to get seeded ahead of France?

Beat them nearly every time they've met in the last five years  :-\