Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on May 12, 2024, 10:34:25 PMMR2, was coaching the U10's the other night and one of them just pulled the sliotar out of another's hand during the game at the end .  I called a free and the wee bollox questioned me, but now I'm not sure if I was right. 

Was he right?

Same as football, you can't snatch the ball out of another players hands.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 12, 2024, 09:57:06 PMOne today there- we had a kickout, Oisin O'Neill won it and was fouled and from the free he played the ball back to the goalkeeper. Is that allowed or should it have been blown up as no one else had touched the ball?

This is the problem, players fans and supporters not knowing simple rules...

Though I'll throw one at you. Player claims a kick out mark, ref blows for Mark, player claims mark, player plays it back to keeper, foul or not?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gianni

Quote from: Gianni on May 12, 2024, 10:47:35 AMHi men! I am Giovanni from Italy, I come from Rome. I am an amateur soccer player and now I discover this new sport, i.e. Gaelic Football.
I have already read all the rules but I still have doubts.
Ok, let's get started.

1. When the player is in possession of the ball, the ball is held in his hands, he could:
  A. throw the ball in the air and catch it again with your hands? I think not, right?
  B. throw the ball in the air, hit it with any part of the body except arms and hands and then catch it in the hands? I don't think so, am I right?
  C. throw the ball and hit it with any part of the body, maybe like someone throws the ball in the air and then hits it with his head, legal?
  D. Bringing the ball with the hands at head height and then, without either throwing or releasing it, hitting the ball with the head or any part of the body except the hands, legal?

2. Rule: 1.5 When the ball has not been caught, it may be bounced more than once in succession.. So a player could control the ball with one hand (or two?) and play it basketball style as far as he wants? It would be much easier than soloing so how come we don't see it? The reason I expect is that 'caught' does not infer with both hands?

3. When a player tries to catch a ball in the air he may touch the ball several times with his hands as long as he has control of it. But could he continue to bounce the ball from his hand into the air as Hurling players do with stick and ball?
Rule: To play the ball up with the hand(s) and catch it again before it touches the ground, another player, or goal-posts
But, according to the rule, a player, once he touches the ball once in the air, cannot touch it a second or third time?
I believe as long as he can't control the ball the player could do it, but if we interpret the rule literally this wouldn't be legal, would it?

4. Situation: a player takes possession and hops the ball.

A. After the hop he flicks it up in the air and catches it before it bounces the ground, a posts or a player.
 B. he flicks it to pass the ball to someone else.
 C. he flicks it to score a goal.
are A, B, C legals?

5. Situation: a player with the foot or with other parts of body but the hands tries a "Sombrero trick" and:
 A. in the air he strikes the ball to an other direction.
 B. in the air he strikes the ball and then he caught it.
 C. in the air he caught it and goes on.

6. Ladies Gaelic football allows this:
Rule: A player may toss up the ball with one hand and play it off with the same hand.
So a player toss up the ball with right hand, surpass a player and then he can catch it with right hand, legal?
What does mean this Rule: Showing the Ball or Turning Twice with the ball is NOT a foul providing it is done within the 4 step rule.
I mean what are the showing the ball or turning twice.

Thanks
I add also these questions

Handpass
When a player makes a legal handpass (with one or two hands) he may do:
  A. After he makes a legal handpass, can he catch or just touch the ball on the fly, without waiting for the ball to touch the ground, a post or another player?
I imagine a scenario in which, to overcome an opponent, the player makes a legal hand pass, then goes around him, and finally catches the ball on the fly. But would it be legal?

B. After legal handpass, can he touch the ball with any part of his body (are arms also considered hands?) except his hands, without waiting for the ball to touch the ground, a post or another player?
That is, imagine a player who makes a handpass and then hits the ball on the fly with a foot, a thigh or with the head or, much more spectacularly, with the chest, to pass the ball to a teammate or even to score a goal or a point. Would it be legal?

C. After a legal handpass, can the player touch the ball with any part of his body and then catch it with his hands?

Point with handpass
We know that to score a point is possible either by kicking or handpassing the ball over the crossbar. But with a handpass does the ball have to be hit with a closed fist or can it be hit with an open hand?
Now we have this:

A fist pass may be used to score a point, a Hand Pass may not.

But in the GAA Rules we have it is legal to score a point with a handpass in which the ball is hit with both a fist and an open hand.
Rule:
A player on the team attacking a goal and who
is in possession of the ball may not score:
(i) by carrying the ball over his opponents'
goal line;
(ii) a goal with his hands except as provided
in Rule 1.2, Exception (ii) but may score a
point with the open hand(s) or fist.

Other question:
The ball may be knocked from an opponent's
hand(s) by flicking it with the open hand

But when the ball is released or is bouncing or soccer juggling, i.e. I mean when the ball is not in contact with the hand, can it be stolen by touching it or grabbing it with both hands?

Sorry for my long time but I hope you can help me understand all my doubts.
Thanks

blanketattack

The Kerry minor goalie gave away a penalty last night for overcarrying.
I've never seen a goalie give away a penalty before for a technical foul.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: blanketattack on May 14, 2024, 09:40:47 AMThe Kerry minor goalie gave away a penalty last night for overcarrying.

Was the overcarrying all in the small square?

Cavan19

1.5 When the ball has not been caught, it may be bounced more than once in succession

I would love to see some lad dribbling basketball style up the field and burying the ball into the back of the net. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Cavan19 on May 14, 2024, 09:50:15 AM1.5 When the ball has not been caught, it may be bounced more than once in succession

I would love to see some lad dribbling basketball style up the field and burying the ball into the back of the net.

The reason you don't see it is because he'd be tackled, the ball is more exposed, thus making it easier.

This does bring about some moans from the sidelines with cries of double bounce

JoG2

Quote from: blanketattack on May 14, 2024, 09:40:47 AMThe Kerry minor goalie gave away a penalty last night for overcarrying.

Penalty only if it happened in the small square (technical foul) , same for any defending player. If he over carries in the big square it's a 13m free in, obviously aggressive fouls anywhere inside the small / big square is a penalty

Gianni

Quote from: Cavan19 on May 14, 2024, 09:50:15 AM1.5 When the ball has not been caught, it may be bounced more than once in succession

But the question is:
how to stop the ball? I mean a player is trying to receive the ball but he wants to bounce it like in basketball, but how could he not caught the ball?
If he stops the ball with two hands, without catching it, is this considered a caught ball?
If he stops the ball with one hand?
How?
The rules are so vagues.

Milltown Row2

When no in 'control' of the ball it can be bounced all the way up the pitch, same as if a player in a tackle momentarily loses possession of the ball and regains it he's not recatching it, even though he 'had' it

Its vague and ultimately down to the ref to call and the players/sideline/supporters to give off ;)

I'd someone complain recently about player not being 13m from the ball and collecting it, he was claiming for a hop ball, I gave the free and of course, but, I was questioned throughout the game. This was a manager!

When they make people do the coaching courses do they do a rules test? 

John Martin

A ref once told me that a goalkeeper from a kickout can kick it more than once. So technically the keeper could just dribble the ball soccer style up the field from a kickout but he is not allowed to lift it.
Any of the resident referees able to confirm this?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: John Martin on May 14, 2024, 11:55:27 AMA ref once told me that a goalkeeper from a kickout can kick it more than once. So technically the keeper could just dribble the ball soccer style up the field from a kickout but he is not allowed to lift it.
Any of the resident referees able to confirm this?

That's true but once it leaves the 21 he can be dispossessed (legally)

So the reason you don't see it is because keepers are generally keepers for a reason, dribbling their food is about the height of their skills at dribbling ;)

Gianni

Quote from: Gianni on May 13, 2024, 10:48:14 AM
Quote from: Gianni on May 12, 2024, 10:47:35 AMHi men! I am Giovanni from Italy, I come from Rome. I am an amateur soccer player and now I discover this new sport, i.e. Gaelic Football.
I have already read all the rules but I still have doubts.
Ok, let's get started.

1. When the player is in possession of the ball, the ball is held in his hands, he could:
  A. throw the ball in the air and catch it again with your hands? I think not, right?
  B. throw the ball in the air, hit it with any part of the body except arms and hands and then catch it in the hands? I don't think so, am I right?
  C. throw the ball and hit it with any part of the body, maybe like someone throws the ball in the air and then hits it with his head, legal?
  D. Bringing the ball with the hands at head height and then, without either throwing or releasing it, hitting the ball with the head or any part of the body except the hands, legal?

2. Rule: 1.5 When the ball has not been caught, it may be bounced more than once in succession.. So a player could control the ball with one hand (or two?) and play it basketball style as far as he wants? It would be much easier than soloing so how come we don't see it? The reason I expect is that 'caught' does not infer with both hands?

3. When a player tries to catch a ball in the air he may touch the ball several times with his hands as long as he has control of it. But could he continue to bounce the ball from his hand into the air as Hurling players do with stick and ball?
Rule: To play the ball up with the hand(s) and catch it again before it touches the ground, another player, or goal-posts
But, according to the rule, a player, once he touches the ball once in the air, cannot touch it a second or third time?
I believe as long as he can't control the ball the player could do it, but if we interpret the rule literally this wouldn't be legal, would it?

4. Situation: a player takes possession and hops the ball.

A. After the hop he flicks it up in the air and catches it before it bounces the ground, a posts or a player.
 B. he flicks it to pass the ball to someone else.
 C. he flicks it to score a goal.
are A, B, C legals?

5. Situation: a player with the foot or with other parts of body but the hands tries a "Sombrero trick" and:
 A. in the air he strikes the ball to an other direction.
 B. in the air he strikes the ball and then he caught it.
 C. in the air he caught it and goes on.

6. Ladies Gaelic football allows this:
Rule: A player may toss up the ball with one hand and play it off with the same hand.
So a player toss up the ball with right hand, surpass a player and then he can catch it with right hand, legal?
What does mean this Rule: Showing the Ball or Turning Twice with the ball is NOT a foul providing it is done within the 4 step rule.
I mean what are the showing the ball or turning twice.

Thanks
I add also these questions

Handpass
When a player makes a legal handpass (with one or two hands) he may do:
  A. After he makes a legal handpass, can he catch or just touch the ball on the fly, without waiting for the ball to touch the ground, a post or another player?
I imagine a scenario in which, to overcome an opponent, the player makes a legal hand pass, then goes around him, and finally catches the ball on the fly. But would it be legal?

B. After legal handpass, can he touch the ball with any part of his body (are arms also considered hands?) except his hands, without waiting for the ball to touch the ground, a post or another player?
That is, imagine a player who makes a handpass and then hits the ball on the fly with a foot, a thigh or with the head or, much more spectacularly, with the chest, to pass the ball to a teammate or even to score a goal or a point. Would it be legal?

C. After a legal handpass, can the player touch the ball with any part of his body and then catch it with his hands?

Point with handpass
We know that to score a point is possible either by kicking or handpassing the ball over the crossbar. But with a handpass does the ball have to be hit with a closed fist or can it be hit with an open hand?
Now we have this:

A fist pass may be used to score a point, a Hand Pass may not.

But in the GAA Rules we have it is legal to score a point with a handpass in which the ball is hit with both a fist and an open hand.
Rule:
A player on the team attacking a goal and who
is in possession of the ball may not score:
(i) by carrying the ball over his opponents'
goal line;
(ii) a goal with his hands except as provided
in Rule 1.2, Exception (ii) but may score a
point with the open hand(s) or fist.

Other question:
The ball may be knocked from an opponent's
hand(s) by flicking it with the open hand

But when the ball is released or is bouncing or soccer juggling, i.e. I mean when the ball is not in contact with the hand, can it be stolen by touching it or grabbing it with both hands?

Sorry for my long time but I hope you can help me understand all my doubts. We can't play without understanding all of this.
Thanks

Could anyone help me understand these doubts?

Thanks