Tony Blair...prosecution??

Started by east down gael, June 06, 2016, 11:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

east down gael

Not sure if there has been a thread on this before,or a relevant thread.My question is this,if the chilcott inquiry finds that Blair deliberately took the UK to war on bogus intelligence,could he be tried for war crimes? Indications are that the report will be unfavourable towards him. No western leader in modern times has came close to being tried for war crimes and it would be quite historic if Blair were to face charges.

Captain Black

Will it ever be published?

What is the latest on it?

east down gael

My interest is just after watching the bbc1 show about a father campaigning for the truth after his son dying over in Iraq. I wouldn't know too much about it,but fairly sure a few on here do. From what I can gather it won't come out until 2017.

theskull1

Was it a good show? I listened to the director interviewed about it on the radio a few days ago and meant to record it

Anything that help nudge Tony Blair closer to a war crimes tribunal should be welcomed. 
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

east down gael

It was good yeah,made you think about the futileness of it all for what appears to be a pack of lies.have to add that it pales into utter insignificance in comparison to the hundreds of thousands of Iraqis who died.The impression I got was that it was two politicians trying to make a name for themselves on a large scale,and costing untold destruction and death.The but that pisses me off is not that he'll get away with it,which he will,but that he is making millions portraying himself as some sort of statesman.
I can only speak for myself,but if I wronged someone in any kind of serious way I would feel very bad about myself until I had put it right.even then I would genuinely lose sleep over it.I have no idea how the guy sleeps at night.

Orior

Who knows what would have happened if Blair hadn't sent the brits in. Sadam had already occupied Kuwait for a while. Would he have retired quietly?

Don't confuse a Tory mob doing everything possible to discredit Labour, with an international war crime tribunal.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

east down gael

Yeah,I do get what you are saying and it's mostly the reason I started the thread,to find out from more informed people why it happened.But playing a game of what if when according to some estimates a million people are dead seems extreme.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: east down gael on June 07, 2016, 12:27:34 AM
Yeah,I do get what you are saying and it's mostly the reason I started the thread,to find out from more informed people why it happened.But playing a game of what if when according to some estimates a million people are dead seems extreme.

So will all the leaders be done for war crimes?? Bush, Blair and the other UN leaders?? Blair wont be done, guilty or not surely he has the safety net of being told by 'others' that there was a need to go to war based on intelligence..... Must be thousands of intelligence that isn't entirely right that has led to multiple deaths
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I don't think this is just a tory mob. I think there could be some legs in this.

I would also agree that it doesn't sit well with me with Blair doing all these roles for money after Iraq and so many deaths.

To be honest I think cameron with Syria has a lot of blood on his hands too. An utterly pointless act bombing there. Makes you wonder the agendas sometimes.

east down gael

I don't think he'll be done either,like you said it would mean Bush getting the same treatment.Thats not to say he shouldn't be though.Saying he went off intelligence in my opinion isn't good enough.How can there be intelligence on weapons of mass destruction/chemical weapons if they didn't exist?If you are going to go to war surely it isn't too much to ask for concrete proof.not 'we think they might exist',but 'here look george/tony,there they are there in that bunker'.He was the leader aswell,the buck has to stop with him.

johnneycool

Quote from: Orior on June 07, 2016, 12:21:56 AM
Who knows what would have happened if Blair hadn't sent the brits in. Sadam had already occupied Kuwait for a while. Would he have retired quietly?

Don't confuse a Tory mob doing everything possible to discredit Labour, with an international war crime tribunal.

Don't think Kuwait had anything to do with Tony and George Bush Jr going into Iraq, it was purely blood lust and lies after the 9/11 twin towers attacks.

Tony will never see a war crimes charge irrespective if he's written the sexed up dossier himself. It just won't happen.

theskull1

I'd be convinced by the petrodollar argument myself.

Gil Scott Heron - B Movie (1983)

What has happened is that in the last 20 years, America has changed from a producer to a consumer. And all consumers know that when the producer names the tune, the consumer has got to dance. That's the way it is. We used to be a producer - very inflexible at that, and now we are consumers and, finding it difficult to understand. Natural resources and minerals will change your world. The Arabs used to be in the 3rd World. They have bought the 2nd World and put a firm down payment on the 1st one. Controlling your resources we'll control your world. This country has been surprised by the way the world looks now. They don't know if they want to be Matt Dillon or Bob Dylan. They don't know if they want to be diplomats or continue the same policy - of nuclear nightmare diplomacy. John Foster Dulles ain't nothing but the name of an airport now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLtRHN7fsgY
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: east down gael on June 07, 2016, 09:05:29 AM
I don't think he'll be done either,like you said it would mean Bush getting the same treatment.Thats not to say he shouldn't be though.Saying he went off intelligence in my opinion isn't good enough.How can there be intelligence on weapons of mass destruction/chemical weapons if they didn't exist?If you are going to go to war surely it isn't too much to ask for concrete proof.not 'we think they might exist',but 'here look george/tony,there they are there in that bunker'.He was the leader aswell,the buck has to stop with him.

All ex leaders do these talks and make money off the back of their legacy... nothing new. Britain was going to war regardless of who was PM 9/11 made that happen that wee bit easier

The Middle east is a proper fcuk up to fix... has been for centuries

What would be the long term solution to it? be interesting to hear that rather than the usual blaming this and offering no solutions
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hereiam

The western world powers will not let the middle east ever stabilize again. They cant let it become like Russia and call the shots on its resources

AhNowRef

There isn't a snowballs chance in hell of Blair being done for war crimes ... under the carpet it will go !!