Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale Gael

Quote from: Targetman on June 23, 2018, 09:25:12 PM
That was a tough one to take, should never have lost that game, 4 up with 15 to go and a man down but looking comfortable enough then the keeper drops one into the net, still had a chance to equalise but O Hagan went for goal and the keeper saves it, 2 needless black cards for Harrison and Mc Kernan and a red for Johnson, the 2 replacements did well namely Madine and McKibben but going a man down we cudnt push up on their kickout, something which worked well in the first half, injuries to Mooney and Donnelly didn't help us either, we didn't get a rub of the green today at all, can't fault the effort but that's it for another year, when's the McKenna cup start!!!

I said we would win and it would be close, but I didn't legislate for the manner of how Down threw this away. A team that cant keep its best players on the pitch (injuries aside) undo the work of everyone else who really did bust a gut to try win this. Discipline is key here and this is one of the main areas we fall down big time.
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

JohnStones

Long time watcher in the shadows and making my first post so go easy on me  :)

What about Micky Moran as Manager, with Poacher, Mulholland, Walsh, Ward as part of backroom if that mix could work together? I would do whatever it took to get Moran in - great style of play, great CV. Maybe would like to wake a sleeping giant as a challenge!?

Brick Tamlin

I think your proposed management team isnt big enough.
Mickey Moran would be some boy to get mixed up in that orgy of egos youve named.

Down are not a sleeping Giant. That notion in itself smacks of arrogance that simply cant be justified. The county has fallen way behind other more progressive counties because we havent embraced change properly and only a sprinkling of quality gets us the odd win each year it somewhat papers over the cracks that exist.

Until the county gets overhauled at an administrative level from top to bottom with new faces things will never change. Our domestic senior championship is a walkover every year for 1 team due to the inability of the rest to match up, whilst our schools are not producing the same talent nor winning on a regular basis anymore. Management teams at representative level are effectively just a jobs for the boys arena where nepotism is rife and unless you've worn the jersey you wont get considered for any meaningful role.

There are so many issues at play within the county and things that need to be in place off the field before the on-field business can be sorted. But that wont change as long as key individuals hold sway.

Smurfy123

Not a bad proposal. Moran manager
Poacher trainer and the other 3 selectors? Would they work together? Mulhollands name seems to be mentioned a lot around this job surely he has to be in it somewhere? Rostrevor weee going nowhere until he went to them.

Targetman

John Stones, are you not in Russia?

Cuan12

Brick , your post smacks of a big ego with a lot of arrogance, I believe like you that fundamental change is required at the county executive, for too long we have been tumbling from one disaster to another culminating in div 3 league football and a swift exit from the championship, several quality names have been suggested and you have dismissed them without offering a viable alternative, as a county we have called upon everyone bar the kit man from the 90 s to lead us and bar 2010 it has not worked.
I'm reading about sleeping giants, why we are failing but when someone offers a proven candidate like Micky Moran , what happens, the suggestion is rubbished, at least someone is thinking outside the box, we need a leader with a proven track record, would be a nice change from ex footballers from successful down teams with no record of success at any managerial level, check Eamonn Burns or ConorDeegans record, anyone who takes the post of Down manager must have a record of success , Micky Moran fits the bill but don't saddle him with a back room team of wanna be s.

Smurfy123

Caun what do you call a backroom team of wannabes?

ardtole

I would think that any potential county manager worth his salt, would only take the job, on the pre condition that he gets to appoint his own backroom team.

Smurfy123

And would the above mentioned not be top of the list ardtole?

ardtole

They might well be. I just got the impression some posters were putting their dream coaching/management structure in place, and I don't think it's realistic.

When Tony McEntee was being touted about before, I remember his clubmate Gareth Oneill was mentioned as one of his selectors. I'd imagine a new manager would want someone alongside them who they have worked with before and have established a degree of trust.

Leonardo

Not trying to provoke, bit have any of the posters managed a Senior Team?

charlieTully

Quote from: Leonardo on June 26, 2018, 11:38:41 PM

Is that a prerequisite to passing comment on a gaa discussion board?

Lecale Gael

Quote from: charlieTully on June 26, 2018, 11:51:08 PM
Quote from: Leonardo on June 26, 2018, 11:38:41 PM

Is that a prerequisite to passing comment on a gaa discussion board?

I can spot a mile off those who haven't managed a senior team  ::)

Lecale Gael

Quote from: JohnStones on June 26, 2018, 04:42:22 PM
Long time watcher in the shadows and making my first post so go easy on me  :)

What about Micky Moran as Manager, with Poacher, Mulholland, Walsh, Ward as part of backroom if that mix could work together? I would do whatever it took to get Moran in - great style of play, great CV. Maybe would like to wake a sleeping giant as a challenge!?

good shout on moran, he will need his own backroom team

when McIver and tally were in with James og it worked well and they should have won an all Ireland imo

No1

QuoteI think your proposed management team isnt big enough.
Mickey Moran would be some boy to get mixed up in that orgy of egos youve named.

Down are not a sleeping Giant. That notion in itself smacks of arrogance that simply cant be justified. The county has fallen way behind other more progressive counties because we havent embraced change properly and only a sprinkling of quality gets us the odd win each year it somewhat papers over the cracks that exist.

Until the county gets overhauled at an administrative level from top to bottom with new faces things will never change. Our domestic senior championship is a walkover every year for 1 team due to the inability of the rest to match up, whilst our schools are not producing the same talent nor winning on a regular basis anymore. Management teams at representative level are effectively just a jobs for the boys arena where nepotism is rife and unless you've worn the jersey you wont get considered for any meaningful role.

There are so many issues at play within the county and things that need to be in place off the field before the on-field business can be sorted. But that wont change as long as key individuals hold sway.

Nail on the head there Brick.  Sums up exactly where we are.  Depressing as f**k.