Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

passedit

Don't Panic

goldenyears

made it in....nice board, so far so good.

the bridge result was shocking yesterday, i cant believe the second half performance was quite so bad. it doesnt create the best impression of our club level v other counties out there. mind you, it may keep the expectation in check for the forthcoming intercounty series...

Flat Hedgehog

Can anyone post the u21 championship results from yesterday? I know Carryduff beat St Pauls easy enough.
That was a shocking scoreline for Mayobridge. Hard to believe.
Knowledge only brings fear.

AnDunYeGo

Do you see that idiot 'thegael' has set up his own official down thread, just a sad man ::)

and apparently he still takes no prisoners   ;D ;D ;D

bridgegael

not hard to believe flat!  beat by better team. no excuses.  mickey resigned after match.  wonder who will tak over????????
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

thegael

it is the time now for the co board to enter the senior champions into the ulster intermediate championship!

the gael takes no prisoners!

bridgegael

is it now the time for you to go fcuk yourself??  as i said before div 2 football in down doesn't make you a know all on down football.!
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

thegael

i like many down gaels are disgusted by the fact the bridge couldn't score from play yesterday 1pt all day.

it is a reflection of the state we are in!

we are in the doldrums.

why?drink and arrogance.

the gael takes no prisoners!

Square Ball

Gael just out of curiosity, and i know i am going to regret this, but just how would a drinks ban be enforced? if its built upon "if you see someone drinking tell the manager" surely this will only bring about mistrust, discontent, infighting, people telling lies on eachother to even up scores, anarchy and the total distruction of the club from within. If its self imposed and they drink, do they flog themselves or what. Are  you actually stating that if there was a total ban on drinking from the players that this would have had a major bearing on the result? If so what are you basing this on, fact, fiction or hearsay?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

off the laces

This just confirms one thing the county management must take a look at ALL teams/players throughout the county and hopefully uncover a few rough diamonds to bring our once glorious county back to where it should be at the top table.
Keeps 'er' straight

thewobbler

Please stop this rough diamond talk. Even the roughest of diamonds stands out at club football.

amallon

I'd like to wish Mickey Linden the best.  I know how much he wanted that Ulster Club championship as player and then as manager but it wasn't to be.  I don't think some in the Bridge realize how blessed we are to have had Mickey in our club.

I wonder who will be the man to replace him?  The only name I've heard so far is Barney McAleenan.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

6th sam

Quote from: thewobbler on November 14, 2006, 10:27:55 AM
Please stop this rough diamond talk. Even the roughest of diamonds stands out at club football.
Agree to a point ,wobbler.But do county players stand out in club football in their own right,or is it because they have benefitted from the intense coaching,training and lifestyle management which they should receive as part of a county squad?

courtneyboy

rough diamonds is the right approach!

i'm sure there are players in the lower divisions if given exposure to the professional setup that the county team enjoy could become good inter county players.
as long as they don't just get invited to a trial and bye bye you got your chance.
there has to be potential county players in the lower divisions and they must be given their chances.

thewobbler

For the life of me, I don't see how anyone could realistically suggest that an unknown quantity from the lower leagues could develop into a county player if trained to county standards.

County football requires a balance of skill, athleticism and dedication that although can be honed by intense training, still requires natural levels that are simply way beyond most players. Players don't improve because happen to be on the county team, rather they improve because they have the basic tools and on top of that want to be on their county team.

Truth is, a player capable of making county minor standard would stand out like a sore thumb in the lower leagues, let alone a player capable of playing county senior. Let's be honest, more than a few teams have made it into Division II over the years on the back of being carried by just two or three players genuinely capable of playing at Division I level, nevermind capable of playing higher than that.