Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NatSoSaff

Come on lads, if we are serious about the County senior footballers progressing then there should be no eyebrows raised at Paddy Gallagher not being involved. He was no where near inter county level I'm afraid. I'm sure you couldn't fault his attitude and commitment over the years but is that isn't enough. Patrick McCormick has pace and undoubted ability but has a lot of learning to do from what I've seen of him. Game intelligence and decisions on the ball are suspect but he has great room for development and great raw materials so I think Enda is managing him well and he'll be the better for it if he gets the head down and puts the work in.

bannside

Bit harsh on Paddy G, he was definitely one of our better performers these last few years. I'm not sure he actually got a trial, could be wrong though on that!

Transition is necessary, new management need to be blooding players they think will be staples in the coming years. I understand that. All about opinions and overall the progress report is positive.

Caesar

Gallagher was told he was surplus to requirements before the trials had even concluded. Very harsh on a player who served the county well and never let the side down. At the time it looked like a statement from the new management team.

McGinley seems to prefer attacking style defenders which is fair enough. Paddy would not fit this description. However, even Stevie Wonder can see we have no chance of staying in D3 next year unless we tighten up at the back next year. Not saying Paddy G is the solution but the problem does need addressed somehow.

bannside

It's important we can come on here and have a fairly sensible discussion about all things related to Antrim football without getting hysterical. A comment or two that we could tighten up defensively does not necessarily equate to what some may deem to be negative criticism. We all want the same result, an Antrim football team we can all get behind and support to the hilt.

Theres a range of people on here from experienced players and managers, officials, journalists poking for a story, newcomers to the county scene or ones just out of school  joining over from Hoganstand. Theres barristers and bin lids.
No one has all the answers, it's all about opinions.

To change the subject, if you were picking the Antrim team who is the one player you would pick that's not on the panel?  No unduly negative criticism please, that would be cheap considering the player cannot defend himself!

bannside

I'll kick this off myself. AND STILL the undefeated best ball winning forward in the county, the one and only Kevin Niblock.

Caesar

Fitzpatrick - quite possibly the best player in Antrim

bannside

Not too many would argue that point Caesar. There's a handful  can think of would be equal in ability to those on the panel, and wouldn't be out of place there. But not too many jumping out at me that who are missing that would go straight into the team.

Theres a few hurlers who can play big ball at that level if they could give it the same dedication. Hypothetical I know. Keelan Coby Gerard Walsh Niall Mc Kenna Seann Elliott come to mind.

Paddy Mc Aleer an obvious exception if he returned from Dubai or wherever he is. Would fit into that team seamlessly imo.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

100% yes. There's one mentioned above plus half a dozen others that wouldn't be out of place. SB, MA, and at least three from last year's under 20s. Crickey too. Plenty of quality players at Rossa. Plus of course Michael Byrne.

Rossa at full strength will take a fair bit of beating!

NatSoSaff

Well 2 players we have yet to see kick a ball competitively for Antrim this season yet are Pat Shivers & Mick McCann. Both would significantly improve the starting 15 going in against Armagh if fit, but from what I hear it will be too soon for both unfortunately!

bannside

Agree. Will be next year for the pair of them at this stage by the look of things.

Flanker

Colm Duffin Good work rate in middle 3rd, 3-4 years+ inter County S&C, chips in to keep score board ticking

Has a few years left in front of him and could get up to the level quickly

bannside

Never looked out of place at any stage in the three or four years he was a regular . Still in his prime. Good call Flanker.

ck

Does anyone have a full Antrim squad?

Dunsilly King

He never looked out of place, jez grow set. Not near it. Thank god none of you r taking the team with some of the names your throwing around. Fitzy and Mc Cormick. End of. Mick and big Pat I'm lead to believe are on the panel injured. IMO Fitzy is the best footballer in Antrim by a slight margin over the aging but peerless Mc Cann.