New Car Advice

Started by Dinny Breen, March 06, 2018, 11:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 24, 2021, 08:10:14 PM
Yes the RAV4 is only in petrol or hybrid. They're a bit pricey when compared with the other 2 that's the only thing

Going for the Ford Puma, it's a hybrid be interested in if it saves me on fuel much, hopefully picking up mid November, apparently Ford are slow with distribution, ordered in July so if you're ordering new beware
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tbrick18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 24, 2021, 08:42:47 PM
Yes the RAV4 is only in petrol or hybrid. They're a bit pricey when compared with the other 2 that's the only thing

Going for the Ford Puma, it's a hybrid be interested in if it saves me on fuel much, hopefully picking up mid November, apparently Ford are slow with distribution, ordered in July so if you're ordering new beware

Hopefully it doesn't rot like the original model!
I can't warm to the new Puma at all, probably because I still have one of the originals and it's too far removed from that.
My Dad has a Rav4 Hybrid....deadly job to be fair.

gallsman

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 24, 2021, 06:27:48 PM
I'm gonna change the car in a few weeks but haven't decided what to get. I like those new Hyundai Tucson's but they're only available in petrol. I'm also going to have a look at one of the new type Ford Kugas and while I like the Seat Alteca there's very few of them about. My issue is that I don't know what the future will hold for diesel cars in 4 years time when I'm changing again. Any advice??

If you like the Ateca, take a look at the Skoda or Karoq or the Tiguan too. They're 95% the same car. Bought a Karoq in June as our first family car and I'm very happy with it.

Over here, obviously SEAT is incredibly popular, but it seems like half the cars on the road these days, and an even larger proportions of new ones, are crossover SUVs.

laoislad

Quote from: gallsman on September 25, 2021, 05:53:41 AM
I'm gonna change the car in a few weeks but haven't decided what to get. I like those new Hyundai Tucson's but they're only available in petrol. I'm also going to have a look at one of the new type Ford Kugas and while I like the Seat Alteca there's very few of them about. My issue is that I don't know what the future will hold for diesel cars in 4 years time when I'm changing again. Any advice??

If you like the Ateca, take a look at the Skoda or Karoq or the Tiguan too. They're 95% the same car. Bought a Karoq in June as our first family car and I'm very happy with it.

Over here, obviously SEAT is incredibly popular, but it seems like half the cars on the road these days, and an even larger proportions of new ones, are crossover SUVs.
My last couple of cars have been SUVs and I'm thinking of going back to something like an estate for my next car. Like you say nearly all cars on the roads nowadays are SUV crossover type cars and I'm kind of bored with them now. In reality they aren't any more practical than the smaller hatchbacks they are all based on and apart from the fact you sit higher up there isn't really any advantage in having one.
I like the look of the Corolla Sports Touring Hybrid or the new Octavia Estate. Far more practical for a lot less money than an SUV.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

J70

They're a lot cheaper in the US, and one of the few estate car options available here, but we recently traded in our old, run-into-the-ground, Subaru Outback for a new one. Very happy with it so far, especially the interior, which is like something from another age compared to our previous one. I got the 2.4 L turbo version as the standard 2.5L option is a wee bit underpowered for motorway-type driving, but it's still easier on petrol than the old 3.6L one was.
Subaru are suffering though over here with the chip shortages. They have some Outbacks available, but other models like the Ascent, Forester and Crosstek XV are all presold weeks, even months in advance.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on September 25, 2021, 09:59:58 AM

My last couple of cars have been SUVs and I'm thinking of going back to something like an estate for my next car. Like you say nearly all cars on the roads nowadays are SUV crossover type cars and I’m kind of bored with them now. In reality they aren't any more practical than the smaller hatchbacks they are all based on and apart from the fact you sit higher up there isn't really any advantage in having one.
I like the look of the Corolla Sports Touring Hybrid or the new Octavia Estate. Far more practical for a lot less money than an SUV.
I like the Octavia Estate but put off by the fact the peelers all drive them up here.

Dougal Maguire

Thanks for all the advice folks.
Careful now

gallsman

Quote from: laoislad on September 25, 2021, 09:59:58 AM

My last couple of cars have been SUVs and I'm thinking of going back to something like an estate for my next car. Like you say nearly all cars on the roads nowadays are SUV crossover type cars and I'm kind of bored with them now. In reality they aren't any more practical than the smaller hatchbacks they are all based on and apart from the fact you sit higher up there isn't really any advantage in having one.

Ah, in fairness they're a much more comfortable drive in terms of space and as a family car where you're throwing prams and bags and high chairs and whatever else at them, they're hard to beat.

Agree on the estates though, fantastic cars and bake for money. The Octavia and the Leon estates are great cars.

StPatsAbu

My lad is 17 at Christmas. Would a Polo or Fiesta be the cheapest to insure but still look decent? Any other recommendations for lads?

Milltown Row2

Youngest passed her test the other day, Marmalade £105 a month is the cheapest, now that's for a fiat 500 convertible under a named driver on my wife's car insurance. Good luck getting his own insurance for anything cheaper.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rois

About to pull the trigger on buying a used Audi Q5 (handier boot for the new double-pram).  Any pitfalls to be aware of from you learned folk?  Hoping this will be my last non-hybrid/electric vehicle, to last me at least 5 years.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on January 21, 2022, 09:43:59 AM
About to pull the trigger on buying a used Audi Q5 (handier boot for the new double-pram).  Any pitfalls to be aware of from you learned folk?  Hoping this will be my last non-hybrid/electric vehicle, to last me at least 5 years.

Other than the cost of fuel they are a beaut! The in laws had the smaller version no complaints, they have always went with Audi though..

Health to drive!

lurganblue

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 24, 2021, 08:42:47 PM

Did you find much of saving on fuel with the hybrid in the end?  Just curious.

JimStynes

I bought a car in March and it's worth a few thousand more now than it was then. The market is ridiculous at the minute.

screenexile

Quote from: JimStynes on January 21, 2022, 11:04:27 AM
I bought a car in March and it's worth a few thousand more now than it was then. The market is ridiculous at the minute.

Bought a car in July and finding the same car with same miles £3k dearer on the sites... lucky to get it when I did!!