Best/Most Disappointing Places You Have Visited

Started by Canalman, June 20, 2008, 12:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: tyrone08 on October 04, 2022, 04:13:35 PM
Cheers. I have have heard the driving is mental. Was toying either the idea of hiring a car but think I will give it a miss lol

Drove from Rome up their A1 towards Florence at night, was an experience I never want to repeat and will never do it again.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Substandard on September 30, 2022, 08:38:12 PM
Best: Paris, Munich- loads to see and do, beautiful architecture and so much history.  The school tours are great that way- left to my own devices, I wouldn't either find or be organised enough to see a fraction of the itinerary.  Honorable mention to Salzburg- a beautiful city with a statue of a Laois man outside the cathedral as one of the founders.
Worst: the Mona Lisa.  Was expecting something the size of the gable of the house, instead an A4 page with about 10 million Japanese tourists in front of me.
Such a letdown!!!

We didn't even attempt to go inside the Louvre. Went to the Musee D'Orsay instead. Plenty there to keep you going for an afternoon and not as crowded.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: gawa316 on October 01, 2022, 12:36:56 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 30, 2022, 08:33:20 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on September 30, 2022, 06:31:26 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 30, 2022, 06:16:23 PM
Best:
Paris. Could not get enough of the place.
Manhattan
Vancouver
Chicago
Santa Cruz, California
Capitola, California (we go there regularly with the children. Very handy little beach with everything you need close at hand)
St Petersburg (it was called Leningrad then)
Moscow

Worst:
Orlando, Florida
Rural Texas

Underwhelming:
Glencar Waterfall. A short walk from the road and there it is, a miniature waterfall. I though, "is that it?!"

Great spot...ever go to the Shadowbrook restaurant?

No but it looks good. Must try it out, thanks for the tip. We tend to get fish n chips at the Britannia Arms which is right there at the beach, or tacos from one of the Mexican eating houses nearby.

Definitely more of a 'bring the missus' spot and leave the kids at home.

Yes been to Long Beach...anywhere along the coast is class IMO. LA is so fricking big it's actually hard to just say it's good or bad...maybe the 405 memories put a negative swing on it for me. The wife's uncle lives in Encino in a house you would see on cribs...I definitely do not mind going there and getting fed and watered with the infinity pool to dip the toe
Yeah, there's plenty of good and bad in LA. You're going to get that in a 100-mile-wide city.

The Getty Museum is well worth a visit, for example. Rodeo Drive and the Hollywood walk of fame? Not so much. Rodeo Drive is just a stuck-up row of pretentious shops with Ferraris parked outside. Walk of Fame is just a strip of businesses with tourists milling about. Although it's quite clever when you think about it, how they hyped up an ordinary street by putting famous people's names on polished flagstones and made it seem like a big deal.

armaghniac

Cheers. I have have heard the driving is mental. Was toying either the idea of hiring a car but think I will give it a miss lol

Italian driving in Naples is pure mental, in the north it is fairly regular. Even in Sorrento people stop at pedestrian crossings.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GiveItToTheShooters

Why anybody goes to the likes of Sorrento or anywhere in Italy in general and their first thought is they want to rent a car needs their hard drive checked the absolute freaks

imtommygunn

Quote from: armaghniac on October 04, 2022, 05:45:49 PM

Italian driving in Naples is pure mental, in the north it is fairly regular. Even in Sorrento people stop at pedestrian crossings.

I would still be double and triple checking before going near a pedestrian crossing!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 05, 2022, 07:55:38 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 04, 2022, 05:45:49 PM

I would still be double and triple checking before going near a pedestrian crossing!

Had a hire car for two weeks in Italy never had any issues, though it was short enough trips from the campsite we were staying at
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

People slag Larne but I was there for an MOT two years ago and enjoyed the experience. There was a grey musk in the air that just reeked of nostalgia and pride. I sort of felt jealous of that, as well as the water lapping against its coast and their friendly MOT men. The town itself was tidy although closed mostly but that just makes it more of a gem to explore.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

screenexile

Quote from: ONeill on October 05, 2022, 10:49:43 PM
People slag Larne but I was there for an MOT two years ago and enjoyed the experience. There was a grey musk in the air that just reeked of nostalgia and pride. I sort of felt jealous of that, as well as the water lapping against its coast and their friendly MOT men. The town itself was tidy although closed mostly but that just makes it more of a gem to explore.

Called in to the local cinema after my MOT there and while the cinema was clean there were youths vaping outside the venue which made me feel uncomfortable... I couldn't be sure but there didn't seem to be any middle or upper class people outwardly visible either which only heightened the unease!!

Eamonnca1

I'll say one good thing about Larne. The accent is fascinating to listen to. It's near-as-dammit Scottish.

seafoid

I was only ever in Larne once. I was expecting to see Rangers jerseys. Instead I met a Gaeilgeoir by chance and ehad a great chat.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU