Cherish the things that are unique about the GAA (Sportacus)-

Started by seafoid, April 06, 2024, 08:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tones

You don't choose your team, club and county are a birth right, as a result the population of about 24 counties in football and 27 in hurling will never see an All-Ireland SFC or SHC win.

From the Bunker

One County (Dublin) get to play all their important Championship games at home. Does this happen in any other sport?

Rossfan

The only sport where the first reaction to a team announcement is "That team won't be starting"
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Kids seen with hurls outside shops in Kinvara, Ballinderreen and Kilcolgan in a ten minute spell

befair

Passing through a village; a shop, a pub, few houses, then the mother and father of a sports centre

Sportacus

Wholesome content.
The GAA was built on principles of volunteerism, humility, amateur status, desire to express our Irishness, community identity and so on. 

Obviously it will evolve with the times and great things are still happening everyday such as the All Stars teams which are springing up in clubs across the country and are amazing.

But:
Threatening SuperMacs?
Journeymen coaches scouring the country for their next small club and fifty quid a night?
Card only at the gate?
Banning charity advertising?
Casement Park debacle?
Games behind paywalls?

That's just off the top of my head. Basically there's a lot of corporate thinking has crept into the organisation that's undermining the core principles and that is wrong in my book. 

Armagh18

Quote from: Sportacus on April 06, 2024, 01:33:35 PMWholesome content.
The GAA was built on principles of volunteerism, humility, amateur status, desire to express our Irishness, community identity and so on. 

Obviously it will evolve with the times and great things are still happening everyday such as the All Stars teams which are springing up in clubs across the country and are amazing.

But:
Threatening SuperMacs?
Journeymen coaches scouring the country for their next small club and fifty quid a night?
Card only at the gate?
Casement Park debacle?
Games behind paywalls?

That's just off the top of my head. Basically there's a lot of corporate thinking has crept into the organisation that's undermining the core principles and that is wrong in my book. 
Couldn't agree more.

Itchy

If Cavan never won another Ulster for 40 years they'd still have won more than anyone else.

Likewise if we never won an All Ireland again, we'll still have 5 more than Monaghan.

😂

armaghniac

Quote from: Itchy on April 06, 2024, 01:36:48 PMIf Cavan never won another Ulster for 40 years they'd still have won more than anyone else.

Likewise if we never won an All Ireland again, we'll still have 5 more than Monaghan.

😂

Tell that to the fans taking the train to Clones tomorrow.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Caitlin

But:
Threatening SuperMacs?
Card only at the gate?
Casement Park debacle?
Games behind paywalls?

Card only at the gate is a positive step forward; unfortunately I know of clubs (and counties) where gate receipts were well short of what they should have been. While some people may not have cards , society in general requires their use more and more, so the GAA is merely reflecting that development.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Caitlin on April 06, 2024, 07:18:02 PM

But:
Threatening SuperMacs?
Card only at the gate?
Casement Park debacle?
Games behind paywalls?

Card only at the gate is a positive step forward; unfortunately I know of clubs (and counties) where gate receipts were well short of what they should have been. While some people may not have cards , society in general requires their use more and more, so the GAA is merely reflecting that development.

I've been to club and county matches in the last year and seen old folks turned away at the gate when they wanted to pay with cash. To highlight the daftness of it all, once you enter any GAA stadium one can use cash to buy a program or refreshments.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Nanderson

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 06, 2024, 07:24:50 PM

But:
Threatening SuperMacs?
Card only at the gate?
Casement Park debacle?
Games behind paywalls?

I've been to club and county matches in the last year and seen old folks turned away at the gate when they wanted to pay with cash. To highlight the daftness of it all, once you enter any GAA stadium one can use cash to buy a program or refreshments.
Personally I've never been to a club game and seen card offered.

Tony Baloney

I'd love to have seen the gate receipts vs attendance at Casement back in the day. The gatemen used let half of West Belfast in on a nod and a wink.

Sportacus

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 06, 2024, 07:24:50 PM

But:
Threatening SuperMacs?
Card only at the gate?
Casement Park debacle?
Games behind paywalls?

Not if you are a pensioner and never used a card. Turning away the people who probably raised the money to build the ground - I mean think about it.
If the problem is cash not accounted for, then there are plenty of other solutions.