Laois Senior Hurlers 2021

Started by mcwregor, January 28, 2021, 09:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burdizzo

Yes, well done Laois. Great display, but ultimately hard luck. Waterford slightly flattered w/ that late goal. Great to see lads playing with a bit of verve again!

portlaoisekid

Today was a lot better and we absolutely competed to the end , now there's a world of a difference between competing and winning but today was progress. The Westmeath match is still the big one , win that and I trust this mgt and panel to be in a position to grow stronger next year .....

AnGaelGearmanach

Quote from: redsetanta on July 16, 2021, 05:45:15 PM
I do.

Can't see them being beaten by that amount.

I think the spread is generous but then again fools and their money.

Still if the same fight is in Laois as against Antrim they won't be losing by that score.

Done it in my accumulator however Armagh let me down.

blueandwhite1

As well as the general improvement in hurling standard by the team (which is massive compared to the league and the Wexford game), the availability of quality players has been a serious boost. The quality of our listed bench on Saturday was great to see and was needed to keep us competitive. Ryan Mullaney and Lee Cleere are serious losses but we weathered them. James Keyes, Picky, Ciaran Comerford, James Ryan, Aaron Dunphy and Matthew Whelan were all named as subs. John Lennon and Eanna Lyons are back and then you have back up in Liam Senior, Liam Delaney, Paul Simms and I think Frank Flanagan was there too. Add a few U20s and a returning Mark Kavanagh, Ben Conroy, Diarmuid Conway and other injured players next year and competition for places will be savage. The core of the team are still quite young so hard to see too many retirements.

One other call out - we are not getting bullied physically. Waterford in the past have been far too big for us and threw us around like rag dolls. This did not happen on Saturday. Especially impressed with younger lads like Podge Delaney and Sean Downey who gave as good as they got. Westmeath match is massive. I see we are at home. Hopefully the weather will hold and we can get a nice socially-distanced crowd in.

burdizzo

I think Eanna Lyons left the panel?

redsetanta

I hope that performance shuts up some of the nay sayers and anti Cheddar brigade.

A little more cuteness from certain players at various times during the game could have got us over the line. The one thing that can be said though is that every player left everything out on the pitch in what was a bruising encounter.

There were times when one of our lads could have and maybe should have gone down and get themselves a free. A couple of times just a lack of composure gave the possession away.

Hopefully they get themselves back on their feet fro the game next weekend. Westmeath have some fine hurlers however if we are mentally right for the game we should have more than enough for them. Cheddar was at pains to let them know that after the game, they have to dust themselves down and redouble their focus.

AS someone stated above we have a decent panel there now if we keep the moving in an upward direction.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Giovanni

It was certainly a great second half performance. It was such a shame that we started so badly - in the first half our touch and accuracy and speed looked miles off. If we'd brought the same levels of performance to the first half, we definitely could have won that game.

After 20 minutes, I was thinking that the bookies were going to be right with their 14 point spread. The second half though brought a totally different look to the game and really Waterford were very flattered in the end.

For me the real leaders were the ones who managed to perform to a decent level in the first half. Sean Downey has been consistently excellent, Podge Delaney is really a top class half back, Cha was disruptive all through and Scully's frees kept us in it. Paddy Purcell's second half performance was top drawer too.

I have to say I feel like it's a season wasted but at least there is a model now to build on for next year. Hopefully, we'll continue working with that model.

redsetanta

Based on P Purcell's two championship games I would be surprised if he isn't nominated fro an All Star.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

town1980

So can anyone tell me did we progress this year ??????

Helix.

Quote from: town1980 on July 22, 2021, 12:19:02 AM
You'll get a better answer Saturday evening after Westmeath game.

Joeythelips

Quote from: town1980 on July 22, 2021, 12:19:02 AM

I would say we stayed at the same level.

Last year we lost all but one league game (we beat Carlow by a point). In the championship we got a hiding in Leinster by the Dubs and put it up to Clare in the qualifiers only losing by a point.

This year lost all games in the league but have a one to come to stay in the division. We lost got a hiding in Leinster from Wexford but put it right up to the Waterford (2020 AI finalists) in the qualifiers.

If you factor in the new management, the pandemic disruption and the litany of injuries we have had to deal with you could probably argue that they did in fact make progress as new players have been blooded and there is a healthy squad developing.

Anyway those are the facts, I guess it is up to everyone to make their own minds up.

LaoisAbu20

I think things have improved over the last two games and I feel the players deserve the credit not the management.

I know Cheddar has been a massive servant to Laois hurling over the years and has gave the county so much and we probably can't repay him for all his service and commitment. However, as someone, who has a sibling on the current team , I am truly heartbroken to see the lack of confidence that the lads have in themselves. The passion that some of these players have for hurling has been decimated. They have been forced to stick with the same game plan over and over again, no one speaks up and they've been told week in and week out that they are not expected to win because they have injured players. Things have improved with the win over Antrim and Waterford, but the players were the ones who came together and changed the game plan not the management. From what I aware of video analysis doesn't come into the picture after matches and trainings are lacklustre at the best of times. I think everyone is well aware of our list of injured players but we've got to make the most of what we have and we've got to try and pull it together.

I didn't want to write this, but I felt that something had to be said. I think that this Laois hurling team has a future ahead of them but the management needs to step up to the plate. Questions need to be asked, especially in regards to both the attacking and defensive setup. When Eddie Brennan was manager there was a passion and hunger in this time which is clearly absent now. They didn't win every game with Eddie,  but they did give teams a run for their money. Players used to work together and give the sliotar to the man in the best position, now its every man for himself. The team work rate is down and the moral is down as well. Sticking with the same setup and plan when it clearly isn't working is delusional and is unfair on players who give their time to a sport that they love. Look I don't have the solutions, but I don't want to see players who clearly love the game fall out of love with it. I think a few questions need to be asked as regards the plan going forward and perhaps a few questions need to be asked of the management as they clearly have been given a few concessions but I think a bit of scrutiny needs to be put in place.

Looking forward to a good performance on Saturday!

vetoldthe

A very interesting post, 
very surprised if true.

Laois man

Some players seem to get loads of game time even when there form is poor other players get little game time and no chance to impress. Think we will beat westmeath but CB has to look at the bigger picture.

redsetanta

Laois man, of the players involved last Saturday, starting 15 + subs, who should have been in there instead?