Laois Senior Hurlers 2021

Started by mcwregor, January 28, 2021, 09:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

town1980

Maybe we should just compete at u13 u15 ffs on a senior hurling thread lol some men here ffs lol

Zooming around

Quote from: burdizzo on June 27, 2021, 09:22:13 PM
Quote from: Zooming around on June 27, 2021, 08:38:24 PM

And yet nothing will be done about the people who constantly make these f**k ups, especially the ones who hate hurling and are happy to see Laois hurling go backward.

And THIS is the problem!
At u15 level, some hurling teams are only sure to get THREE matches. I must admit, I haven't bothered to look up the football format for the same age group, but I'd be stunned if teams weren't getting more than that.
But then again, why aren't hurling people getting into positions of influence in the CB?

Sorry, I'd say you picked me up wrong. I wasn't talking about our juvenile structures and fixtures.

High Fielder

Quote from: High Fielder on June 27, 2021, 07:14:00 PM
Quote from: bluespower on June 27, 2021, 04:33:50 PM
Saw this comment on another forum from a non Laois person and i think it sums us up alright.

"Typical Laois - one step forward (2019) and then five steps back"

Agreed. Cheddar saved the CB's bacon but in truth, letting Brennan go was a shot to our own foot. Same with Sugrue. Things are hard enough for us without constantly making these f**k ups

And yet nothing will be done about the people who constantly make these f**k ups, especially the ones who hate hurling and are happy to see Laois hurling go backward.

What the hurlers or footballers do is immaterial unfortunately. It's not like they are judged on their performance. The nodding dogs will still ratify them next year.

clonadmad

There's a huge issue with governance and the running of hurling within this county and it hasn't gotten any better.

Mark my words gentlemen

We will look back on the eddie brennan era with fond memories in 15/20/25 years time

As we will have nothing to to sustain us in the meantime.

The manpower nor the will isn't in the county to drive long term meaningful change for hurling in this county that's the reality.

I don't blame cheddar,far from it.

His heart yet again has over ruled his head for him to come back,if he has any sense he will go and get a club job in a hurling county,when our season comes to its inevitable damp squib conclusion

Zooming around

Quote from: High Fielder on June 28, 2021, 10:39:05 AM
Quote from: High Fielder on June 27, 2021, 07:14:00 PM
Quote from: bluespower on June 27, 2021, 04:33:50 PM
Saw this comment on another forum from a non Laois person and i think it sums us up alright.

"Typical Laois - one step forward (2019) and then five steps back"

Agreed. Cheddar saved the CB's bacon but in truth, letting Brennan go was a shot to our own foot. Same with Sugrue. Things are hard enough for us without constantly making these f**k ups

What the hurlers or footballers do is immaterial unfortunately. It's not like they are judged on their performance. The nodding dogs will still ratify them next year.

I wouldn't confine it to just those who are ratified.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: clonadmad on June 28, 2021, 10:49:58 AM
I don't blame cheddar,far from it.

His heart yet again has over ruled his head for him to come back,if he has any sense he will go and get a club job in a hurling county,when our season comes to its inevitable damp squib conclusion

Cheddar is doing his best, no doubt about it. He gives his heart and soul to Laois and came in when few would have been enthusiastic. However, I don't think hurling tactics has ever been his strongpoint. We got it completely wrong on Saturday and it has been building that way all year (over-playing at the back, ineffective strategy for winning and retaining possession, poor transition into the forwards and no intensity in defending). Eddie was much more shrewd on the sideline. Personally, would love to see Cheddar in an administrative / hurling development role with full control over how hurling is organized in the county.

Saying all that - the goal this year is survival in the league and championship. Hopefully there is some fast learning from the defensive show last Saturday.

Giovanni

Fully agree Blueandwhite. I'm sure that he would have a similar impact to Michael Duignan in Offaly if given the chance.

Having said that, there are enough lads in the backroom team to help him out with team preparations and tactics. He shouldn't have to take it all on himself.

portlaoisekid

Its all about the Antrim match now, its absolutely vital we win. Cheddar has made no secret of the fact we need to get through this year without being relegated and then hit the ground running in 2022....

Im not making excuses for him but everything has been so disjointed for the mgt team from the start, I tend to think he is the best man for the job but it'll be a hammer blow to get relegated.

The real question is how we get out of the cycle of bouncing around the divisions/championships and actually get to a place where we are truly competitive?

Laois Rising

This year was always about survival in the Leinster championship and league. What I couldn't get my head around was the fact that we had so many players back and yet Wexford always had a man over or coming through to take a simple hand pass before popping the ball over the bar. Laois needed to meet Wexford with intensity in the first fifteen minutes of the game and challenge them high up the field. Instead we let them walk the ball up the field, pick their passes and nonchalantly tap over points at will. It was embarrassing stuff from beginning to end. The only consolation after such a poor performance at the weekend you would imagine that there will be a reaction by the players for the Antrim game. Our players who have only returned from injury will be the better for having a run out and getting another two weeks training under their belts before Antrim game. 

Zooming around

U2os out tonight. Doesn't look an overly strong team but should have enough for Westmeath.

Helix.

Quote from: Zooming around on June 29, 2021, 04:49:43 PM
U2os out tonight. Doesn't look an overly strong team but should have enough for Westmeath.

Best of luck indeed. Won't be easy particularly in a as timer conditions this evening in Portlaoise.

Laoisred

Laois tactics last weekend were nothing short of nuts. Giving up possession (and try to play on the break) against the team with the most mobile, running style in the country. And to persist with it was nearly as bad. It never gave our team a hope. Someone in the 'young,vibrant, impressive' management team weren't doing their job or if they did, it wasn't heeded. Wexford on the other hand clearly took on board Niall Corcorans insight and targeted certain Laois players and sectors. The difference was stark.

The Rover

Quote from: Helix. on June 29, 2021, 05:35:40 PM

Best of luck indeed. Won't be easy particularly in a as timer conditions this evening in Portlaoise.
U20's with a 6 point win after extra time laois were 15 points up at one stage and then needed a late free to bring the game to extra time.
where was David Dooley not listed on the team or subs after been selected to play with the senior team earlier in the year only to be ruled out because he was to young for senior inter county hurling

Spiritof1915

Quote from: The Rover on June 30, 2021, 12:58:39 AM
Quote from: Helix. on June 29, 2021, 05:35:40 PM

David dooley has gone full time with Leinster in their rugby academy. Shame for Laois hurling but cant blame any young lad who wants to try his hand at a professional sport.

U20's with a 6 point win after extra time laois were 15 points up at one stage and then needed a late free to bring the game to extra time.
where was David Dooley not listed on the team or subs after been selected to play with the senior team earlier in the year only to be ruled out because he was to young for senior inter county hurling

redsetanta

Any win is welcome.

To be that far ahead and then have to level it with the last puck of the game shows a bit of character.

Huge score to put up but yes a mad score to concede. Still it's the first outing so hopefully some lessons learned.

What are the minors like this year?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi