LAOIS SENIOR FOOTBALL 2016

Started by Unlaoised, January 12, 2016, 12:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

les Antiques

The appointment of Cunningham a few weeks before the championship confirms what a pitiful state we are in . It is clearly a county board appointment , a cry for help and its short term by all accounts .
Lillis is clearly out of his depth in this environment but I don't for a second believe any of this is his fault . He should have never been appointed and put in this position . I shudder to foresee what's going to materalise in Town on Saturday night in a couple of weeks against Wicklow .

Tony

All respect to Wicklow, but we'll beat them. We simply have too much talent, even if the setup is not bringing them to their potential this year. We're 1/8 to beat Wicklow - that's the objective betting on Boylesports. So let's not pity ourselves that bad that we're scared of Wicklow. After that, though, not sure if we'll beat many teams. Confidence is low. Am I the only one that thinks, with our raw talent, we should be fighting for an all ireland 1/4 final? I honestly think that if this squad's talent was harnessed correctly, we should be there or thereabouts.

I'm very open to be proven wrong by this years management - but if we do pull off something good this year after everything so far, it will be an achievement of Leicester standards.

BallyroanAbu

Tony I hope your right but I see the writing on the wall.  Wicklow hopefully are poor enough that we limp on.  But were not that much better than other counties that a shambolic campaign thus far can be altered.  We are where we are. 

Unlaoised

Hoping we loose to Wicklow will certainly not help us as a county...

Yes maybe its a cry for help but its a big name with a superb record and I'm glad Lillis or whoever has realised they need some extra help in the set up.

We will beat Wicklow not taking them or any team for granted but we will have too much for them what can be done between then and Dublin is open to question.

Its alarming that Donie is so  far off the pace but he was carrying a niggling injury or so i'm told.

good to see O'connor in defence which is his best position in my opinion!
LAOIS ABÚ

Junior Ex Laoistalk

If Donie is injured what the hell is he doing playing in challenge games. Talk about an amateur set-up.......... :-\

Joeythelips

I would have to agree with you Tony, we will look back at the All Ireland quarter finals and see the likes of Kerry, Dublin, Tyrone, Roscommon & Mayo but we will also see two more from the pack, the likes of Fermanagh, Galway, Cavan, Meath etc now there is no doubt we have a squad of players good enough to compete with these teams and once you are at that stage you will have a bit of momentum behind you and who knows where it can take you. We got there under McNulty and if we believed a bit more could have taken the Dubs but never diverted from our game plan. (I was reminded of that game watching Man City playing Real Madrid the other night, losing 1-0 with 15 mins to go they still never really attacked Madrid and had no shoots on target, seemed bizarre, like Laois that day they contained the Dubs for majority of the game and kept it tight but never really threatened Dublin.)

I like the appointment of Cunningham who has a lot of top level experience but he needs to be in charge and not just some advisory nonsense. We see offaly hurlers having Liam Sheedy in an advisory role which seems a bit of a farce. If the two can work together well and good but financially it seems a waste of resources as why are we paying Lillis if he is not up to the job.

Tony

To be fair to Lillis, I doubt he is getting much, if anything, after expenses. His ability is suspect but his passion for Laois and his effort without pay, can't be questioned really. I like the addition of Cunningham but it would be much better had it been at start of year. Lillis means very well, in fairness, but he's like your ma when she holds your hand on the way to the local disco, in front of all your friends. Meaning well, but in reality - holding you back and cramping your style.

Unlaoised

Quote from: Tony on May 05, 2016, 02:06:26 PM
To be fair to Lillis, I doubt he is getting much, if anything, after expenses. His ability is suspect but his passion for Laois and his effort without pay, can't be questioned really. I like the addition of Cunningham but it would be much better had it been at start of year. Lillis means very well, in fairness, but he's like your ma when she holds your hand on the way to the local disco, in front of all your friends. Meaning well, but in reality - holding you back and cramping your style.

Ha ha thats an unreal last line Tony while not totally out of context either.

I think Mick knew he needed help as he has two very raw selectors as well maybe it was just a case of getting the right man...

I think everyone i the camp is delighted with this and from what I hear Cuningham's has already made a big impression...

With Lillis Passion and knowledge of the players and Cunningham's expertise maybe the summer might not be too bad at all...

KEEP THE FAITH!
LAOIS ABÚ

Junior Ex Laoistalk

redsetanta

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

SCFC

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on May 06, 2016, 08:50:23 PM
Does anyone know who the Laois player referred to in this article was ? ? ?

http://www.balls.ie/gaa/kieran-mcgeeney-offers-grim-prediction-about-where-anti-ulster-bias-might-lead/332588
Billy Sheehan. McKeever is a horrible yoke. Wouldn't half give you the "free state bastard" line. 

OTF

Quote from: SCFC on May 06, 2016, 11:00:33 PM
Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on May 06, 2016, 08:50:23 PM
Does anyone know who the Laois player referred to in this article was ? ? ?

http://www.balls.ie/gaa/kieran-mcgeeney-offers-grim-prediction-about-where-anti-ulster-bias-might-lead/332588
Billy Sheehan. McKeever is a horrible yoke. Wouldn't half give you the "free state b**tard" line.

God Save the Queen ?
Surely that didn't happen in OMP

Tony

Big week this week. My prediction, with all respect to Wicklow, is that we'll have too much for them. I doubt we'll be comprehensive but 4+ points is my prediction. Will be interesting to see the team named and the match itself - I wonder if our structure will be any different. In a way I hope Wicklow put up a good fight as we certainly can't be anything other than sharp agains't the dubs, IF we come through Wicklow.

blueandwhite1

Seems we played blanket defence against Kildare according to one of the reports. Better late than never I suppose.