LAOIS SENIOR FOOTBALL 2016

Started by Unlaoised, January 12, 2016, 12:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unlaoised

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on April 07, 2016, 12:53:04 PM
Contrast the Tyrone approach to grooming managers to our own:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/0407/780119-monaghan-under-21-ciaran-mcbride-tyrone/

Streets ahead in every aspect but it doesn't mean we can't start somewhere !

Even in my long post the Short term needs to be addressed I.E the senior team going forward for this year...

anyword on how many traveled to Mayo for the training camp?
LAOIS ABÚ

County Man

Positives:

Both Armagh and Kildare got to the all ireland quater finals in 2014 and 2015 after being relegated to division 3.

So we can turn our season around.

If a defensive plan can be put in place we can have a decent summer.

To see off Wicklow, to hold Dublin to 10 points and to have 2/3 games in qualifiers would be decent and achievable.

Looking back on league it wasnt all doom and gloom.

Lillis has blooded many new players and has got many guys back playing who had not committed in recent years.

2nd half performance was decent against Galway- good win in Armagh, decent against Tyrone, ok Fermanagh was bad, should have beaten Derry, competitive against Cavan, good 45 minutes v Meath.

I thought guys fought very well before Evan got that dubious 2nd yellow.

If the defense can be shored up, we can salvage the summer.

Biggest concern for me is the lack of support. Yeah fine was in Breffni Park and its a long journey for fans but no excuse not to get to home games. I thought the Cavan fans were a credit to themselves and are worth a few points to their team.

Lets hope guys will work on preparation, fitness, tactics in next few weeks and we can have a great summer and get some positive results.

Laois ABU.

Unlaoised

Quote from: County Man on April 07, 2016, 06:58:19 PM
Positives:

Both Armagh and Kildare got to the all ireland quater finals in 2014 and 2015 after being relegated to division 3.

To see off Wicklow, to hold Dublin to 10 points and to have 2/3 games in qualifiers would be decent and achievable.

Lillis has blooded many new players and has got many guys back playing who had not committed in recent years.

2nd half performance was decent against Galway- good win in Armagh, decent against Tyrone, ok Fermanagh was bad, should have beaten Derry, competitive against Cavan, good 45 minutes v Meath.

Biggest concern for me is the lack of support. Yeah fine was in Breffni Park and its a long journey for fans but no excuse not to get to home games. I thought the Cavan fans were a credit to themselves and are worth a few points to their team.

Lets hope guys will work on preparation, fitness, tactics in next few weeks and we can have a great summer and get some positive results.

Laois ABU.

Amazing someone posting a positive outlook ......

I'm in agreement but we shouldn't have to work on our Fitness now that should be all done it should be all ball work now and tactics...

Ont thing we need to work on and its the most basic skill is our hand passing we are dreadful at it...

It should be going to the chest every player should be able to hand pass it both sides(its a skill in itself)especially when bottled up in the modern game...

Great examples of players that were good at this were Beano,Gary Kavanagh wolly ...Quigley can do it aswell its a simple thing but every inch can be vital.

I agree with you we can still have a decent run i'd be hopng if we get back on track with a decent few challange games and beat Wicklow well we could go into the dublin game optimistic of at least being competitive.

Lillis must study videos of the 2014 performance in croker esp the first half when we really got under there skin and but for the difference in the benches that day it would have being closer to 11 points...

I Remember Donie ross Finn and Meridith being emmense in the first half that day Finn bullied Flynn
LAOIS ABÚ

steven seagal

QuoteI really think John Sugrue is the man to change things with in this county .I've seen him working with teams and he is superb with under age talent as well..

I'd be very wary of anointing one man a saviour. The issues we need to fix are far beyond the scope of one individual. Sugrue is an excellent coach, but we can't expect him to be the solution. We need more than that. It would be nice to get him involved, but if he is coaching South Kerry again this year then we can rule that out. We have two full-time football coaching officers in the county, I'd be more inclined to ask questions of them before I'd ask a volunteer to come in and sort things out.

OTF

Quote from: Unlaoised on April 08, 2016, 11:22:53 AM
Quote from: County Man on April 07, 2016, 06:58:19 PM
Positives:

Laois ABU.

Amazing someone posting a positive outlook ......

I'm in agreement but we shouldn't have to work on our Fitness now that should be all done it should be all ball work now and tactics...

Ont thing we need to work on and its the most basic skill is our hand passing we are dreadful at it...

It should be going to the chest every player should be able to hand pass it both sides(its a skill in itself)especially when bottled up in the modern game...

Great examples of players that were good at this were Beano,Gary Kavanagh wolly ...Quigley can do it aswell its a simple thing but every inch can be vital.

I agree with you we can still have a decent run i'd be hopng if we get back on track with a decent few challange games and beat Wicklow well we could go into the dublin game optimistic of at least being competitive.

Lillis must study videos of the 2014 performance in croker esp the first half when we really got under there skin and but for the difference in the benches that day it would have being closer to 11 points...

I Remember Donie ross Finn and Meridith being emmense in the first half that day Finn bullied Flynn

This is the point we're now playing exactly as we did in '14 only for Brody we would have being beaten by 20 points. We followed that up by scraping past Fermanagh and Wexford, mind you Pat Pillane expressed himself "mildly entertained" with the type of football we played.
The mighty Tipp eventually ran straight down the middle and put 4 past us.
If Lillis wants to look at CD's let him dig out the'12 version on how to park a bus put all 15 behind the ball and f**k Pat Spillane and Nolan Park.

Tony

Was away on hols lads, out of the loop the last week - any challenge games coming up, I haven't heard - wicklow not too far away. Hopefully we're playing a bit of ball if we've found a pitch at this point  :)

steven seagal

Graiguecullen had something up on Twitter the other day about a Barney Hennessy Cup final, with Laois playing Westmeath in a challenge game on the day. I think it was Saturday week, not sure of the time. You'd find it on the Graigue Twitter or Facebook pages I'd say.

Unlaoised

This information might not be right but ?I heard we are playing westmeath and Clare...It didn't come from the usual source so I'm not sure.

I hear the training thing in Castlebar was a great success they had a ball and done a little bit of training as well  ;D ;D
LAOIS ABÚ

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: steven seagal on April 12, 2016, 12:23:33 PM
Graiguecullen had something up on Twitter the other day about a Barney Hennessy Cup final, with Laois playing Westmeath in a challenge game on the day. I think it was Saturday week, not sure of the time. You'd find it on the Graigue Twitter or Facebook pages I'd say.

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Unlaoised

I hear they could be playing Down as well!

That Westmeath game is one I will attend!
LAOIS ABÚ

les Antiques

Correct me if im wrong but is this not the third time we have played Westmeath in Challenge matches since January !? The Heath and St Lomans were the venues I believe . Don't see an enormous benefit playing a Division 4 side again so close to championship .

Faugheen

I heard that the Westmeath game is cancelled (by Westmeath), can anyone confirm this ???

Unlaoised

Quote from: Faugheen on April 13, 2016, 12:22:09 PM
I heard that the Westmeath game is cancelled (by Westmeath), can anyone confirm this ???

Can't confirm this.....
LAOIS ABÚ

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: Unlaoised on April 13, 2016, 12:43:38 PM
Quote from: Faugheen on April 13, 2016, 12:22:09 PM

Can't confirm this.....

Me either.......

blueandwhite1

Quote from: les Antiques on April 13, 2016, 10:26:50 AM
Correct me if im wrong but is this not the third time we have played Westmeath in Challenge matches since January !? The Heath and St Lomans were the venues I believe . Don't see an enormous benefit playing a Division 4 side again so close to championship .

Maybe Westmeath have cancelled because as division 4 side they don't feel they would learn enough from playing a division 3 side ahead of the championship.... ;)

Not sure we will learn anything more from challenges anyway. If we aren't working on tactics and strategy then we might get past Wicklow at a push but the summer will be a short one thereafter.