Leinster Senior Football Championship 2016

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 16, 2015, 01:11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bueller

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on May 31, 2016, 08:37:51 AM
Right this is a load of bull that has been put out there.  O Moore Park could not have been a venue for this game the other 3 1/4 finals were being played at neutral venues so this also would have to be.  O Connor Park is prob the only alternative so from that point of view this is a non issue.  County Board has not bothered to explain this well and it's been put out there that O Moore Park was a possibility for this to be the case the Leinster Council would have to make an exception which I don't think they are in the habit of.  Also Mick Lillis, John Strong & Kieran Kelly are decent people and I don't doubt the players are trying but on Sunday morning we will be facing the reality of this year.  I hope Laois win but in fairness most here are holding out for a decent performance and some sort of run in the qualifiers.  While Lillis has to take the blame for a bad year what has happened to Laois has taken 3 years.

Cast your memory back over the decades. Has there ever been a situation in Leinster where a Quarter Final was played in the home county of one of the participants? In the entire history of the GAA in this province, surely its happened? Even despite the other quarter finals being in neutral venues? Can you remember any instance?

BallyroanAbu

Prob but when the other 3 are played at neutral venues how would you have any reasonable expectation that the delegates of those counties involved would vote for a home venue for Laois considering they themselves are not getting the same thing.  The argument seems to be that Dublin are alot better than Laois so why not give Laois a home games as they are going to get beaten anyway.  Look I am sure we would all like the game in Portlaoise but to go on like we have is nonsense it was always a long shot to get a home venue.  While stating the blatantly oblivious "Croke Park" is not a home venue.

les Antiques

Good news about Begs .. Need all these experienced players to keep things respectable !
Will be very interesting to see the Laois selection and how we set up . According to reports ticket sales haven't been as brisk as forecasted .. Less than 14,000 sold presently

Bueller

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on May 31, 2016, 09:48:34 AM
Prob but when the other 3 are played at neutral venues how would you have any reasonable expectation that the delegates of those counties involved would vote for a home venue for Laois considering they themselves are not getting the same thing.  The argument seems to be that Dublin are alot better than Laois so why not give Laois a home games as they are going to get beaten anyway.  Look I am sure we would all like the game in Portlaoise but to go on like we have is nonsense it was always a long shot to get a home venue.  While stating the blatantly oblivious "Croke Park" is not a home venue.

You didn't answer my question?

Also if a team plays its league and championship games at a venue in its county, that's it's home venue. We should declare Port our home venue, play an O Byrne Cup or two there and demand O Moore Park be viewed as neutral. You brought this up may I add, I just wished to point out the sheer ridiculousness of your 'definitive' slant.

BallyroanAbu

My point is not ridiculous as it seems to be the consensus at Leinster Council level.  I can's answer your question as I don't know the answer.  If you can provide a valid reason and back it up for it then by all means you should have been in to the county board with it.  As they don't seem to have argument either.  The games are down for neutral grounds and that is where they are been played.  To give Laois home advantage and not to do it for all the others would have been exceptional and I cannot see that flying at any level.  County Board made out like it was a capacity problem which it was not the other counties did not want Laois for one reason or another getting something while they were not receiving likewise.

Bueller

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on May 31, 2016, 10:03:11 AM
My point is not ridiculous as it seems to be the consensus at Leinster Council level.  I can's answer your question as I don't know the answer.  If you can provide a valid reason and back it up for it then by all means you should have been in to the county board with it.  As they don't seem to have argument either.  The games are down for neutral grounds and that is where they are been played.  To give Laois home advantage and not to do it for all the others would have been exceptional and I cannot see that flying at any level.  County Board made out like it was a capacity problem which it was not the other counties did not want Laois for one reason or another getting something while they were not receiving likewise.

Your point IS ridiculous. It's as ridiculous as this situation. Dublin regularly play quarter finals at their home venue (only a fool believes Parnell Park is a home venue). That's the answer. Staring you in the face.

As for the other quarter finals, quite regularly in the past have quarter finals been played at home venues, while others were neutral. Maybe have a look there and see where Meath and Wickow played their quarter final last year?

Again, you brought this up, not me.

ILikeStrawberryJam

Of course the match should be in O'Moore park. Every Laois and non-Laois person i have spoken to thinks so ..
Its political horseshite .. but it is what it is for this year ..
Supposedly Dublin have had a training session and a trail match down in nowlan park and are about to
go into a 4 day training camps somewhere ..
They aint taking Laois for granted ..
Important Begley can play and timmons and keogh and meredith if they are fit ..

blueandwhite1

Quote from: ILikeStrawberryJam on May 31, 2016, 01:11:43 PM
Supposedly Dublin have had a training session and a trail match down in nowlan park and are about to

Just goes to show that it really is amateurs against professionals. Not just Laois but all counties except Dublin. 4 day training camp - they must all have very understanding employers.....

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on May 31, 2016, 01:58:15 PM
Quote from: ILikeStrawberryJam on May 31, 2016, 01:11:43 PM

Just goes to show that it really is amateurs against professionals. Not just Laois but all counties except Dublin. 4 day training camp - they must all have very understanding employers.....

Or no employers, in some cases, from what I hear.

The Boy Wonder

Leinster Council Marketing & PR Manager Cian Murphy quoted in today's Indo : 
"The decision to play the game in Nowlan Park was never meant as a slight on O'Moore Park but rather a practical response to capacity issues. We wanted to provide seated accommodation for as many people as possible. Nowlan Park has 17,800 seats"

Let's not kid ourselves that the decision was purely based on money - the more seats the more takings at the gate.
It is NOT about capacity - O'Moore Park has a greater capacity than Nowlan Park.
"We wanted to provide seated accommodation" - I would say that 60-70% of fans would prefer to pay less and stand on terrace.

The argument that you cannot have a home venue for a quarter-final is nonsense - just think back of Laois-Meath games, Laois-Offaly games etc.

Back to the match itself - of course we are long-odds underdogs - all but a handful of counties would be in same boat Vs Dubs.
Our League campaign and general preparedness are not encouraging. However we have gone into Leinster SFC matches in recent years after decent enough League campaigns, thinking we were well prepared and didn't perform against Louth, Longford.

It's all about performance on the day and hopefully the boys will empty the tank - it's a massive challenge.

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: Bueller on May 31, 2016, 08:58:22 AM
Quote from: BallyroanAbu on May 31, 2016, 08:37:51 AM
Right this is a load of bull that has been put out there.  O Moore Park could not have been a venue for this game the other 3 1/4 finals were being played at neutral venues so this also would have to be.  O Connor Park is prob the only alternative so from that point of view this is a non issue.  County Board has not bothered to explain this well and it's been put out there that O Moore Park was a possibility for this to be the case the Leinster Council would have to make an exception which I don't think they are in the habit of.  Also Mick Lillis, John Strong & Kieran Kelly are decent people and I don't doubt the players are trying but on Sunday morning we will be facing the reality of this year.  I hope Laois win but in fairness most here are holding out for a decent performance and some sort of run in the qualifiers.  While Lillis has to take the blame for a bad year what has happened to Laois has taken 3 years.

Cast your memory back over the decades. Has there ever been a situation in Leinster where a Quarter Final was played in the home county of one of the participants? In the entire history of the GAA in this province, surely its happened? Even despite the other quarter finals being in neutral venues? Can you remember any instance?e

Apart from Dublin in Croke Park

2007 Laois v Carlow, OMP
2003 Laois v Offaly (twice), OMP
2002 Offaly v Laois, OCP
1995 Laois v Carlow (twice), OMP

Laois have played 15 home quarter-finals, including any refixtures and replays. They've played a total of 23 away matches.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Kildare have not played a home game in Leinster in 21 years. There was only 3000 through the turnstiles in Croke park for the Wexford game so capacity isn't a hindrance despite the state of Conleth's Park. The Ulster championship does be great to see nice half decent grounds getting to host home championship games, the Leinster council could have learned a lot from them.

Joeythelips

Croke Park is not Dublins home venue, Parnell Park is. Croke Park is the GAA headquarters and considered a neutral venue but as the GAA like any other sport is a business they try and maximise their earnings and as Dublin have by  far the largest fan base they have played their championship games at Croke Park due to this reason.

The venue is the least of the worries anyway as we live in hope that our players will make a game of this. They should not be overawed by the Dubs but the bookies handicap of 14 points would seem about right going on what we have seen from both sides this year.

No one is being disrespectful of Laois management here from what I have read. Most feel the current manager seems out of his depth, I share that opinion. Its nothing against the man, I myself would be a poor club manager never mind inter county level. It is a tough task but some are good at and others are not, just like any other job/role. Lillis seems like a passionate GAA man who loves his county but I just feel he is slightly out of his depth. I maybe wrong (I hope I am wrong).

From the Bunker

Quote from: Joeythelips on June 01, 2016, 03:40:52 PM
Croke Park is not Dublins home venue, Parnell Park is. Croke Park is the GAA headquarters and considered a neutral venue but as the GAA like any other sport is a business they try and maximise their earnings and as Dublin have by  far the largest fan base they have played their championship games at Croke Park due to this reason.

The venue is the least of the worries anyway as we live in hope that our players will make a game of this. They should not be overawed by the Dubs but the bookies handicap of 14 points would seem about right going on what we have seen from both sides this year.

No one is being disrespectful of Laois management here from what I have read. Most feel the current manager seems out of his depth, I share that opinion. Its nothing against the man, I myself would be a poor club manager never mind inter county level. It is a tough task but some are good at and others are not, just like any other job/role. Lillis seems like a passionate GAA man who loves his county but I just feel he is slightly out of his depth. I maybe wrong (I hope I am wrong).

Are you having a laugh? Did you come down in the last shower? Take the blinkers off! Lets call a spade a spade. The only time Croke park is a neutral venue is when Dublin is not playing. When is the last time Dublin played in Parnell Park? Wake up and smell the coffee.

redsetanta

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi