ROSCOMMON v CORK (MARCH 2)

Started by Shrewdness, February 20, 2008, 12:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrewdness

Now that Cork's footballers have decided to concentrate on the on-field action, are there any theories out there about what type of performance we can expect from them against Roscommon in Kiltoom next Sunday week.

After all the publicity and controversy, are they going to hit the ground running, and play out of their skins, especially with a new manager and selectors to impress.

Or, is it possible, that due to the training, and match practice that has been missed in recent months, they could be sitting ducks for an ambush in Kiltoom????

GrandMasterFlash

Hopefully the latter as they should be starting on -4 points. Disgraceful decision by the CCCC.

Maguire01

As much as I, and most other people, would like to see them get beaten, i reckon they'll be of the mindset that they have something to prove and will be going for it 100%.  This will be a tricky one for Roscommon.

timmykelleher

Kiltoom?

How come it's being played in Brigids?
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

thebandit

Quote from: timmykelleher on February 21, 2008, 02:27:34 PM
Kiltoom?

How come it's being played in Brigids?

Its part of the Rossies plan to fool teams into feeling sorry for them before ambushing them

neilthemac

county board aren't getting on too well with the club that runs Hyde park so they've moved a few games. a little dispute over who owns the place!

denies the other club funds from shops, programmes etc

jaykay

whassupp2

While Kiltoom is undoubtedly the best playing surface in the county, parking is a major problem aswell as finding a good location to see the match.
This game should be played in Hyde Park.

The official story is this:

Roscommon played Monaghan in Clones and felt that the pitch was to soft underfoot while Ros' were used to training at Kilbride all weather pitch.
It was decided by the county board to play the Cork game in Kiltoom to give Hyde Park a break as it was felt that the pitch may be unplayable. That was fair enough.
The the management team requested that the Meath game be played in Kiltoom as it was more similar to Kilbride where the team have been training. That means 2 games being played in Kiltoom

All in all Hyde Park has yet to see the kick of a football this year and with only one home fixture left for Roscommon after the Cork game (i think) it looks like Hyde Park wil be gathering lot of dust this year. Ros' also play 1st round c'ship away to Galway.
take the opportunity of a lifetime in the lifetime of the opportunity

Shrewdness

Re Kiltoom.......it seems the Ros Co.Board promised St.Brigid's an NFL game in Kiltoom, which was always intended to be the Cork game.

However,in recent weeks, it was looking increasingly likely that this game wouldn't take place , so to keep their promise, the Co.Board fixed the Meath match for there instead.

Now of course, the Cork game is going ahead, and will be in Kiltoom, although i suppose it could have been played in Hyde Park, seeing as Kiltoom already had it's game??

I'm getting confused myself now. ???

Rossfan

We have 2 home games left after the Cork game - v Westmeath and Cavan.
Being from parts North of the County eighty mile round trips for a home game do nothing for me.
Play it in the Hyde for God sake.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tatler Jack

QuoteBeing from parts North of the County eighty mile round trips for a home game do nothing for me.
Play it in the Hyde for God sake

Its only about another 15 mins or so up to Kiltoom on a good road. Lots of advantages in playing the game there especially that there is a much better atmosphere if you have a crowd of three or four thusand.

timmykelleher

Would you fit 3 or 4 thousand in there?

My memories of it are grassy small banks. Possibly one Very small stand/ large dugout.

Also doesn't that pitch have a decent slope on it?
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

shark

Slope is gone Timmy, they completely dug up the pitch and made a new one. Serious job.

Shrewdness

Top class pitch in Kiltoom, so if Cork get beaten, the pitch is one thing they won't be able to complain about.

Turlough O Carolan

Great pitch and best way to view the match is to stand at the fence and be right close up to the action. In fact it's the only way. Best way to get to pitch (coming from Athlone side) take a right down a bothareen after you've passed the road for Hodson Bay Hotel (if you get there early head down to Hotel and have a look at beautiful Lough Ree). There was a tonne of local club members directing traffic into the field next to the pitch for the Meath game. They helped everyone park perfectly. I thought they'd be gone when the game ended but sure enough they were there to help everyone get out too. Otherwise you could end up with a long walk.