Roscommon Vs Meath

Started by thejuice, February 11, 2008, 08:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

That was our first competitive game in a good while. I'd expect the lads to improve on the back of it.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Maguire01

Bloody Meath!!! I had a fiver on Monaghan/Derry/Down/Meath.... it was all going so well.

So, were Meath bad or have the Rossies improved that much in the past 2 weeks?

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 17, 2008, 09:48:48 PM

My opinion Maguire is that Monaghan are a much better side than both Ros and Meath - I think ye will do very well in the leaugue this year. In fairness to Meath they will improve though.

agorm

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 17, 2008, 09:48:48 PM
Bloody Meath!!! I had a fiver on Monaghan/Derry/Down/Meath.... it was all going so well.

Probably a bit of both. Roscommon were definitely up for it and started both halves very well. These Meath players havenot played together yet this year and that showed especially towards the end. Meath essentially could afford to play without Brian Farrell, Joe Sheridan and Stephen O' Rourke who went off with a hamstring about halfway through the first half and still have pretty decent firepower up front. Midfield were good in the first half albeit against a poor Ros midfield. Meath's problems are at the back and we need some bigger, tougher,faster backs in the Meath tradition if we are to do anything of note in the upcoming years. I saw nothing yesterday to give any hope that we would not be pushed aside the way the Cork boys did last August.
Fair play to Roscommon, they kept at it and could easily have won as they missed a penalty at the death.

One point. Can you imagine a county taking a pretty significant national league game to an out of the way venue and putting no signs on the road to identify where the pitchg is?? I am serious! There was not even a sign for Kiltoom GAA pitch.  There was a sign on the opposite side of the road for St Brigids Sports Club and a turn needed to be taken there. I can only assume that people followed the car in front when turning in on the basis that Roscommon people knew where they were going. We certainly missed the turn and had gone quite a distance before we knew we were wrong. Nothwithstanding that, the event was well organised by the local club.

Son_of_Sam

They did it to us in the FBD in Ballinlough, lucky I knew the way already. Thats another well run Ros club. They a nice bunch the Rossies but they like to make it hard for you.

Rudi

Locals took it for granted that 1 mile of cars parked on both sides of the road in Kiltoom yesterday was an indicator that a match of sorts was taking place. Didn't realise Meath people were as thick as the ones in Mayo ;D :D. Only having a laugh, I guess it should have been sign posted better. Anyhow the match was fantastic our best performance under Maughan, had we came into the game with any confidence would have probably won it with 6 to spare. Saying all that Meath were rusty yesterday, & you get the feeling will have much bigger days ahead of them this summer, always liked the Meath lads big, tough, direct & supporters are good craic & quite humble. Division does not look as strong as earlier predicted, Armagh have gone back a lot, Cork will probably cancel another few games cause their nice new socks might get dirty :'( ;D, Dublin only beat WMeath by 2 at home. A fired up Monaghan defo have the winning of this division.. Good luck to Meath for rest of campaign football needs a team like Meath.

thejuice

Quote from: Rudi on February 18, 2008, 04:38:47 PM
always liked the Meath lads big, tough, direct & supporters are good craic & quite humble. Good luck to Meath for rest of campaign football needs a team like Meath.

Ah your making me blush.......
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Rossfan

Glad ye Meath lads found the pitch despite our best efforts to send ye astray :D
We expected nothing yesterday but got a pleasant surprise and should have won in the end.
If we can keep playing with that spirit for the rest of the NFL we might survive in div 2.
Next up Cork which according to the Stolensheepers will also be in Kiltoom.
Hopefully they wont have warmed up at that stage or will the hoors be all fired up for every game?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

The Claw

Would agree generally with what is being said here, the Rossies should have beaten us out the gate, not only with the missed penalty, but with the heap of wides. Maybe the Ross forwards lacked a bit of bottle in the finishing. From a meath point of view, there were some positives, Cian Ward was excellent from placed balls and play, Kevin Reilly was good at the back and Brayor was very good up front. One problem was the tackling in the forwards, the Roscommon backs were very good at taking the ball out of defence and our half forward line need to stop this. That said, i'd say the lads were rusty, it was a long time since the UCD game