Sligo V Wexford NFL Div3

Started by SLIGONIAN, February 12, 2008, 05:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Was unbelivably angry yday and still am.

But firstly congratulations to wexford and there fans. Well deserved victory. Mattie forde is awesome to watch and yer by no means a one man team either.

Declan Corcoran was the ref, yes in galway leitrim fbd game he sent m duignan off after one yellow, he even had the cheek to say after that if duignan had said it to him at the time everything would of been sound but duignan justed walked of like your suposed too. He is an idiot, This man is being lined up to ref a CONNAGHT SENIOR FINAL.. he reffed our league game last yr with antrim and last yr connaght minor final. All of which is he was atriocious. He must think its basketball hes reffing, he was bad for both sides and is ruiuing the ENTERTAINMENT value of games by blowing for everything. He refs a big championship game there will be riots. Im actually glad Ohara didnt play yday because he would of have been going mental at the ref. The GAA or ref assocition need to look at this man and get rid of him. There maybe troube ahead.

Knowing and seeing how we can play ie the down first half well this was a million miles away.

But did we do our best to make them look good. I actually thought that D Kelly, Gallagher and brehony did well. The supply was atrocious 2nd half.

Our midfield was invisible. Ive never seen a team so invisible in that area and the great mcnamara at chb what chance do we have. People whos first game yday was will surely critise Beirne. This man made 5 or 6 catches against down , won breaks, passed the ball well and scored a point THAT made me think this man is good so He can do it. Yday he was atrocious along the consisently poor quinn yday. Quinn last pass at a free at the end of the game was beyond poor.
They won every break crowded the midfield with us playing our extra man in defence. I though our defence was poor yday too. They scored 14pts and but for some close wides it couldnt been higher. The full back line wasnt themselves yday. I actually blame the ref for that......touch the forward and a free, 

We always lose our shape when the opposition goes for the blanket defence, especially in the forwards 2nd half. We kept going down the right hand side and its so predictable. Ans no sligo within 25m raduis of the goals.

A few questions Id ask the Sligo players. Was last yr really the start of something? Do they want to play in div4 against Kilkenny nxt yr? Do they want to hand back the Nestor cup without a fight? Do they want to play in TM cup?

Having seen how good we can be its very hard for me to accept a performance like yday. John Kent said at half time the players said theyd run at wexford but didnt do it.

We have to beat Limerick next outing.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

stevo-08

very disappointing yesterday. wexford deserved their win & forde was the main difference between the teams. they had a purpose about their attacks while we seemed clueless at times. first half showed some good signs with good movements in play and some good finishing - kelly, quinn & gallagher all pointing well. but 2nd half was abysmal - how many times did we get within 40yrds and the whole attack falls flat. too many times we ended up with only 1 or 2 forwards in their half with no support whatsoever - was like watching game v cork all over again.

sligonian, would disagree completely about brehony - thought he was very poor yesterday. their chb bossed him for the entire first half and despite a rare right footed point in 2nd half, he seemed to be hiding for the entire game. our midfield were well beaten - beirne looks very raw but is young so will improve, quinn is obviously nowhere near 100% fit, but he'll get there and will be firing on all cylinders come ch'ship. was surprised with gallagher who with kelly, were the only ones willing to take on their men.

on the positive side, we hit some good frees and i think cawleys long range effort was the only one off target. on the negatives, we still have huge problems at chb & full forward. also how many times did we allow them easy possession from their kick-outs. fair enough, their goalie was excellent with his kicks but you cant let that happen as often as it did yesterday. jordan also seemed to lack a bit of experience on the line. we had lost our entire shape in the 2nd half and he never did anything to change it - and bringing mctiernan on at chf wasnt the answer. yes, bring him on in the full forward line where's he's very dangerous.

finally, as model hammer says, there's no excuse for not having a scoreboard. that was embarrassing.

Buckass

Must echo the reports on Corcoran.Have seen him up along doing county underage games and he is the worst type of ref...one who never played himself. He also seems to have 'small man complex'...look at me now...I have a whistle.
Sligonian..."the consistently poor Quinn'? 2 league games...The lad is only back training a couple of weeks.Get the Connaught final dvd and have a look at it.
I'd agree Beirne is worth keeping with but as for your 5-6 catches!Your counting must've been disrupted by the violent soccer types that surrounded you.

SLIGONIAN

With all due respect how can you say Brehony was very poor yday. Justify that criticism. He scored 2 brilliant points from play and got all his frees. What cost our forward line and brehony included was the supply. Kelly had the beating of his man but when his own team are kicking it straight to his defender what chance does he have. Gallagher suprised me yday but can he do it in the summer. I have me doubts. The supply was good in down 1st half MEANS we score 2-4, supply was good in 1st half yday MEANS we score 0-9...

To me its the same old sligo yday in 2nd half especially. The day of kicking to the corners and working the ball from there is over. It creates a semi circle of defence from the oppositon goal of 25 m raduis where we cant work through. In other words you help the opposition by doing so. It was fairly obvious what was happening tactically. What was so refreshing was in the Down 1st half I thought we'd come up with a new tactics of attacking play that was great to watch only to go backwards from there. But I wouldnt blame the management. I heard John Kent on ocean fm basically saying everything the players were told at HT they did the opposite when on the field.

Buckass - One good game from Quinn last yr, what about his league form last yr and looks were in for a similiar format this yr. One good game and are we suppose let him live off that for yrs till we get another performance like it. Once in a blue moon. I have the connaght final dvd thanks. How many catches did Beirne make then against down please correct me on that?

Why dont you write something worthwhile instead of just reading my post and nit picking something out of my posts that you dont agree with just to criticise my view? Why dont you have the balls to post your own opinions on the game and let me pick out the bits i dont agree with ;)? Some of the lads on this board seem to have to same complex as corcoran. Im going put Sligonian in his place COMPLEX instead of doing what i do and give an honest view on Sligo GAA.

BUCKASS ask yourself this. Im guessing you were at the game yday and 1 sentence about the ref and 2 about me. None about Sligo football. Kinda says it all. When havent anything good to say, say Nothing  ::). Before a bandwagon of critism heads my way I did post many postives  after down and the few that were yday.

stevo-08

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on February 18, 2008, 04:56:14 PM
With all due respect how can you say Brehony was very poor yday. Justify that criticism. He scored 2 brilliant points from play and got all his frees.

if you noticed, i did mention the freetaking & his point off right in 2nd half but IMO, it was still the worst performance from brehony in a long time. totally anonymous in first half, only for the free i didnt realise he was on the pitch. alot of breaking ball around the middle & he never seemed interested in getting involved- curran the only one battling for breaks. 1 point from a free in opening half says it all. jordan obviously thought the same as he moved him into the full forward line. and as for your criticism of quinn, you seem to have forgotten his excellent point in first half and pass to brehony in 2nd half which set up his last point. he didnt have a good game but he's the least of my worries. we need to sort out numbers 6, 11 & 14 to do anything this year.

Owenmoresider

Don't want to get involved with tihs 'Quinn's shite' thing again, he came good when it mattered. Fitness a bit off but he will come, dunno about Byrne, did a really stupid thing when inside with the posts at his mercy, fisting it across goal, could have punched it over. Was out of it for good periods, but maybe he might get better with time. We aren't blessed with midfielders, amongst other positions. Elsewhere the backs had a so-so day, McGuire didn't do too badly, Donovan showed it's not just Phillips who can give a serious hit amongst the Harps crew, but the HB line could have done much better, and as for CHB? Vacancy available surely.

In forwards, Kelly showed a lot greater willingness to kick points than ever before, got 2 good scores, and was lively, Gallagher surprised me too, really took his chance. Curran was getting stuck in and winning scraps, but was lucky to be still on by HT, about the only thing the clown didn't punish. Breheny poor, despite his collector's item with the right boot, Sweeney was ok in patches in the first half, but totally anonymous in the second. Still not a great starter. Cawley may not be as quick as the others, he knows where the posts are, didn't get many chances, but should be tieing up a spot for c'ship. Subs didn't get much chance to impress really.

And again corcoran - disaster, reffed our minors in 05, minor final last year, us v antrim in league last year and yesterday again, and is worse by the game. My sympathies to Mayo posters who encounter him at club level. If certain posters were present it could have got nasty. :P The Wexford wingback was unfortunate, I thought he had words though, which got him the second yellow?

Scoreboard - yep, poor form, but sure what would you expect? Good to see the stand taking shape, badly needed to be done, even Laythrum were starting to show us up ffs!

Re wexford, backs were a bit loose at times, but the forwards looked a fairly good unit, and Forde is always worth the admission to watch, McGuire did as good as he could I guess. Could be life in the yellowbellies yet, could get promotion now Louth have imploded. For us, Limerick is going to be vital now. No points from that, and Freshford could be on the itenary for 2009.

Model Hammer

Quote from: Owenmoresider on February 18, 2008, 11:43:57 PM
The Wexford wingback was unfortunate, I thought he had words though, which got him the second yellow?
Maybe so. That would explain the sequence of events better. Makes George out to be even stupider than I was giving him credit for. 3 cards - yellow-black-yellow in the space of 2 minutes!

Re wexford, backs were a bit loose at times, but the forwards looked a fairly good unit, and Forde is always worth the admission to watch, McGuire did as good as he could I guess. Could be life in the yellowbellies yet, could get promotion now Louth have imploded. For us, Limerick is going to be vital now. No points from that, and Freshford could be on the itenary for 2009.
Thought we were very sluggish at the start alright. It was starting to look like the same fixture 3 years ago all over again. I thought that the Sligo forwards picked off some lovely scores in the first half and attacked at pace. The half-forwards were making themselves available for quick return passes and our half-backs seemed to be rooted to the ground. Despite their early dominance Sligo still managed to concede 10 points in that half. I agree with a few other posters that breaking ball from midfield is what wins games and Wexford were cleaning up the breaks.

Early in the second half I looked around for the extra man and noticed that he was standing on the 14 as an extra full back, which may be understandable given the threat of Forde. But then 15 minutes into the half the score had progressed from 0-9 to 0-10 to 0-9 to 0-12, and the extra man was promptly dispatched further up the field! You could argue that it had been a bit too negative from the Sligo management, and when he was moved to half-back it produced a lot more possession. From our point of view I think Shane Roche's point from the left early in the 2nd half was a bit of a sickener for Sligo too. Seeing a fella confidently kicking a point from out on the left with the outside of the left boot suddenly meant it was going to take more than a man advantage and a bit of a breeze to win that game. Though in fairness Sligo had enough possession but were too indecisive inside the 50 where nobody seemed confident of kicking a score. Credit too in fairness to the Wexford backs who were much more disciplined in the 2nd half, harrassed and harried their men, and shadowed lads without giving away frees.

A win on the road in this division is priceless, and if we can sort out or indiscipline issues ahead of Down's visit to Wexford we can push on from here.

For us, Limerick is going to be vital now. No points from that, and Freshford could be on the itenary for 2009.
I would worry for Sligo now. I can't help thinking that the local derby will bring the best out of Leitrim as usual, and Longford will probably not drop many more points. The opportunity was there on Sunday to get up the table and it was lost.

Buckass

Good man Sligonian. The day a lad posting on a website believes others on it have a complex about them is time to suggest www.outrageouslyegotistical.ie where I believe a mirror comes up on screen and you can stare at it riveted while lads like Quinn train hard, win championships etc.
Quinn was excellent against New York and Ros too last year. Poor in the league so we should shaft him?Outrageous tripe.
Was impressed enough with Beirne in Newry.We got badly beaten at mf but he showed potential.2 catches -tops 3.

SLIGONIAN

Buckass - with 50 mins gone in the ros game it was 2-4 0-4 to them and ohara decided to destroy o neill not quinn so your just saying things for the sake of it. I never said drop quinn or that he his shite. But in all honesty the sad thing he is a seriously ordinary footballer and isnt exactly a great help to beirnes intiation into county football in his current form.

All I said was "quinn is consistently poor". Gosh what abuse :o,That is a FACT so far this yr and last yrs league was similiar.

Im not egotistical but ffs was that such a harsh comment by me. Can I not say one negative thing in my posts without having to defend it or it be highlighted. My point is get of my back :o.

I disgree strongly on brehony 0-5 2 from play. Did just fine, Id settle for that every game. Did he kick a wide? And here ye are saying he was poor. BS. Sure hes not fit and he'll come good when really matters. ; ::)

Owenmoresider, you say say quinn came good when it really mattered (last yrs connaght final) AND i agree he did brilliant in that game, well it obviously doesnt matter then that we end up in Div4??????????????? It matters now that quinn gets fit, but in all fairness are yee going to keep saying that to me for the whole league, it not justification enough that we have to wait till june to get a performance out of him or any player for that matter like mcnamara etc. My point is does it not matter NOW.

stevo-08

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on February 19, 2008, 01:02:32 PM
I disgree strongly on brehony 0-5 2 from play. Did just fine, Id settle for that every game. Did he kick a wide? And here ye are saying he was poor. BS. Sure hes not fit and he'll come good when really matters. ; ::)

Sligonian, we'll agree to disagree then. It's very easy to look at the scoresheet reading 0-5(2 from play) and say he had a good game. Thats just lazy. In my opinion, he was invisible in first half and was actually our worst forward during that period. He did nowt from play for about 50mins of the game and I think he's capable of alot more. Yes he got the frees and I acknowledged that, but forgive me for expecting more of a very experienced player operating on the 40. And just to point out, I dont have anything against brehony. I actually think he's an excellent player and a vital player for sligo but sunday was not his best day at the office.

Farrandeelin

QuoteDeclan Corcoran was the ref, yes in galway leitrim fbd game he sent m duignan off after one yellow, he even had the cheek to say after that if duignan had said it to him at the time everything would of been sound but duignan justed walked of like your suposed too. He is an idiot, This man is being lined up to ref a CONNAGHT SENIOR FINAL.. he reffed our league game last yr with antrim and last yr connaght minor final. All of which is he was atriocious. He must think its basketball hes reffing, he was bad for both sides and is ruiuing the ENTERTAINMENT value of games by blowing for everything. He refs a big championship game there will be riots. Im actually glad Ohara didnt play yday because he would of have been going mental at the ref. The GAA or ref assocition need to look at this man and get rid of him. There maybe troube ahead.

It's a pity the Mayo Co board wouldn't do the same for him. De-ref him if it could be done. He sure likes the sound of the whistle and when I saw on the paper on Sunday morning that he was reffing I waid to myself there'll be fans angry with the ref and his whistle. Really frustrating tohave him reffing club games as well.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

SLIGONIAN

Fair enough stevo-08. And I guess I'll have to agree to disagree regarding my points on what matters with the rest of the sligo lads aswell and quinns form. Anyone see a white flag anywhere. 8)