Premier League 20/21

Started by Hereiam, August 05, 2020, 01:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: Louther on April 27, 2021, 10:09:13 AM
Iheanacho on a serious hot streak. 14 in 14, when strikers hit a run like that they can't miss.

He has often blown hot and cold for Leicester, not a regular starter. He'd be well advised to stay out as they will need plenty to compete in CL next season and maintain their current form.

Second captains had an interesting viewpoint on punishment for the six clubs who looked to join the Siper league. Points deduction, of say 10 points, from start of next season. Would certainly make the league more interesting. Can't see it happening myself.

As much as the actions of the six were odious I'm not sure what rules they may have broken in relation to the Premiership.

A one year ban from the champions league should be in order for all them.

Louther

Quote from: johnnycool on April 27, 2021, 10:21:37 AM
Iheanacho on a serious hot streak. 14 in 14, when strikers hit a run like that they can't miss.

He has often blown hot and cold for Leicester, not a regular starter. He'd be well advised to stay out as they will need plenty to compete in CL next season and maintain their current form.

Second captains had an interesting viewpoint on punishment for the six clubs who looked to join the Siper league. Points deduction, of say 10 points, from start of next season. Would certainly make the league more interesting. Can't see it happening myself.

As much as the actions of the six were odious I'm not sure what rules they may have broken in relation to the Premiership.

They had some discussion round this alright. Said that one rule potentially broken was that they can't enter a competition without permission that wasn't already listed but their was punishment for breaching this listed.

The points deduction could be mute as they didn't actually receive any advantage from jumping into this new league. They compared this to a situation where clubs get deducted points for going into administration- they have overspent beyond their means to put themselves in an advantageous position (or they should have!), so the points deduction is a deterrent for that. In this case no advantage accrued. It was the owners who should be punished more so but how do you do that.

This was from a premier league point of view. Expulsion from CL mate come at UEFA level.

trueblue1234

Quote from: johnnycool on April 27, 2021, 10:21:37 AM

I'd agree with this. And should be implemented next year.....
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

GetOverTheBar

If you ban the clubs you only strengthen the resolve to try this again, what rules did they break? And you feel they will try again, unless bridges are built.

Morally is a different argument, football hasn't been moral in decades, let alone years. I'm actually shocked at the uproar to the Super League considering some things that have happened in football over the years to silence.

How welcoming are UEFA going to be for Real Madrid v West Ham in the Group Stage next year? We might think it would be a novelty, but the Asians, South Americans etc aren't going to tune in for that.

You will also be punishing the players / fans and coaches of clubs that had absolutely no input into any of it. This type of primitive punishment will lead to even more unrest down the line, the English Clubs helped the downfall of the Super League via their fans, just what would punishing those same fans serve to do?

Milltown Row2

CL has introduced more teams into the competition I believe, https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/news/0268-1213f7aa85bb-d56154ff8fe8-1000--uefa-announces-new-format-for-club-competitions-to-be-introduce/

So Madrid playing West Ham may be a reality when that kicks off, four more places, taking it from 32 teams to 36, when they should reduce it!

Complaining about a ESL and then increasing the numbers for this is a bit strange
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 27, 2021, 10:42:49 AM
If you ban the clubs you only strengthen the resolve to try this again, what rules did they break? And you feel they will try again, unless bridges are built.

Morally is a different argument, football hasn't been moral in decades, let alone years. I'm actually shocked at the uproar to the Super League considering some things that have happened in football over the years to silence.

How welcoming are UEFA going to be for Real Madrid v West Ham in the Group Stage next year? We might think it would be a novelty, but the Asians, South Americans etc aren't going to tune in for that.

You will also be punishing the players / fans and coaches of clubs that had absolutely no input into any of it. This type of primitive punishment will lead to even more unrest down the line, the English Clubs helped the downfall of the Super League via their fans, just what would punishing those same fans serve to do?

Surely if anyone is getting banned the ones that are saying it's still going ahead would be first in the docks?

nrico2006

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 27, 2021, 10:52:50 AM
CL has introduced more teams into the competition I believe, https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/news/0268-1213f7aa85bb-d56154ff8fe8-1000--uefa-announces-new-format-for-club-competitions-to-be-introduce/

So Madrid playing West Ham may be a reality when that kicks off, four more places, taking it from 32 teams to 36, when they should reduce it!

Complaining about a ESL and then increasing the numbers for this is a bit strange

Exactly, but its about 'growing the game' etc when in reality its about getting more money.  The CL has too many teams in it and there are too many dud matches, much in the way that there are in Euro/WC Qualifying groups and even at the tournaments also.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

BennyCake

Surely if anything is to be done, it should be limiting the amount of money that a club can spend on transfers and wages. Probably ways around that too though.

If that meant billionaires looking instead to Europe to buy up clubs, and less foreign players coming to the PL, then so be it. I think that would actually be a good thing. More British/Irish players featuring in the PL

J70

Quote from: BennyCake on April 27, 2021, 11:39:06 AM
Surely if anything is to be done, it should be limiting the amount of money that a club can spend on transfers and wages. Probably ways around that too though.

If that meant billionaires looking instead to Europe to buy up clubs, and less foreign players coming to the PL, then so be it. I think that would actually be a good thing. More British/Irish players featuring in the PL

I watched highlights of the 1989 FA Cup final on youtube the other day.

Apart from Grobbelaar, there wasn't a single other player on either side who wasn't from Britain or Ireland. Managers too.

From an Irish point of view alone, you'd Houghton, Aldridge, Sheedy, Staunton and Whelan.

When's the last time any Irish man played in an FA Cup final?

seafoid

Quote from: J70 on April 27, 2021, 02:49:25 PM

Apart from Grobbelaar, there wasn't a single other player on either side who wasn't from Britain or Ireland. Managers too.

From an Irish point of view alone, you'd Houghton, Aldridge, Sheedy, Staunton and Whelan.

It's the same in the general population. EU expansion in 2004 or so opened the doors to mass immigration.
It's a feature of the economic system to have asset bubbles driving up the price of players and large scale immigration driving up the price of houses.
It's all temporary. Whn the bubble deflates soccer may go back to being local. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

shark

Damian Delaney 5 year ago I think.
Unless you're including Northern Ireland, in which case Craig Cathcart 2 years ago.
Have to go back 8 years to find a winner. James McCarthy for Wigan.

imtommygunn

There was the foreigner cap in those days too. I don't think south players counted in that? (Presumably north was a given too).

That changed things a bit.

BennyCake

1979 FA Cup final: Arsenal v Man Utd. There were 5 from NI starting, 3 from ROI. And Arsenal's manager from NI. There were also 5 Scots.

Would there even be 8 NI/ROI players in total in the PL this season?

shark

Quote from: BennyCake on April 27, 2021, 06:42:35 PM

1979 FA Cup final: Arsenal v Man Utd. There were 5 from NI starting, 3 from ROI. And Arsenal's manager from NI. There were also 5 Scots.

Would there even be 8 NI/ROI players in total in the PL this season?

35 (28 + 7). But you'd be forgiven for not realising.

BennyCake

35? Really?

Im struggling beyond a few Burnley players, Dallas, Long, Evans, Coleman, Hendrick and the Liverpool goalie.