Premier League 20/21

Started by Hereiam, August 05, 2020, 01:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macker15

Quote from: shark on April 05, 2021, 09:06:36 PM
Quote from: GJL on April 05, 2021, 08:58:08 PM
Lingard is fairly finding form. Scored a great goal again tonight.

With the run in they have, they really do have a chance of 4th. Would be some achievement.

West Ham overachieved.  Thin squad particularly up front will probably catch up with them. Hopefully they get Europa League at least.

Captain Obvious

From the Bunker

Luckily Wolves got a late goal!

You'd wonder what is the most logical workaround on borderline calls?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 10, 2021, 08:52:51 AM
Luckily Wolves got a late goal!

You'd wonder what is the most logical workaround on borderline calls?

Either you're offside or you're not.

Look at it from the other teams perspective, you'd be claiming the goal shouldn't have stood because his finger was in an offside position.

Do you want marginal calls to go to the offensive?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rich Ricci

Marginal calls should go with the on field decision. If the linesman puts his flag up, the VAR should be trying to prove beyond reason that he's on side and vice versa if given on side.

Boycey

Quote from: Rich Ricci on April 10, 2021, 09:08:58 AM
Marginal calls should go with the on field decision. If the linesman puts his flag up, the VAR should be trying to prove beyond reason that he's on side and vice versa if given on side.

What would threshold for marginal be?

Rich Ricci

Quote from: Boycey on April 10, 2021, 09:10:59 AM
Quote from: Rich Ricci on April 10, 2021, 09:08:58 AM

What would threshold for marginal be?

No threshold as such but the onus should be on VAR to disprove the on field call. As shown in the picture above they are drawing lines from asses and elbows and it's still no clearer as to whether he was on or off so the on field ruling should stand IMO.

Milltown Row2

But VAR proved it was offside!

So VAR is there to prevent illegal plays, like offsides, or not.

If that goal stood and afterwards as a supporter, manager or player seen that it was scored from an offside position you'd be happy for that? I doubt very much anyone would
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rich Ricci

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 10, 2021, 09:37:42 AM
But VAR proved it was offside!

So VAR is there to prevent illegal plays, like offsides, or not.

If that goal stood and afterwards as a supporter, manager or player seen that it was scored from an offside position you'd be happy for that? I doubt very much anyone would

I'm not really sure that they did. They've drawn a line and went with it. Are other leagues in Europe going to this length to try and disallow goals?

I don't think anyone would be complaining had that goal been allowed to stand. Hard to imagine Dcott Parker being furious post match that the thread on his shirt was offside. The outrage that it wasn't is more telling.

I'd have probably have been of the opinion when VAR was first introduced that offside is offside but over the course of the season they've taken obscene amounts of time to rule out goals by the most minute detail and even then there has been some debate as to if it was the right decision. I didn't see the match last night so don't know how long it took to come to the decision but in general taking so long to come up with half assed decisions is ruining the game.

imtommygunn

It has redefined offside. Level is now offside. Like you say too the lines are basically subjective at times. Previously attacker got benefit of the doubt did they not?

trileacman

Sure is the still image even representative of when the ball left the passer's boot? Could be a microsecond earlier or later and by then these players could be onside or offside as the case may be. They shouldn't be allowed to draw lines. The should just get a view of the still image and if it doesn't clearly contradict the on-field decision then the on-field decision should stand.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

HiMucker

Quote from: trileacman on April 10, 2021, 01:38:16 PM
Sure is the still image even representative of when the ball left the passer's boot? Could be a microsecond earlier or later and by then these players could be onside or offside as the case may be. They shouldn't be allowed to draw lines. The should just get a view of the still image and if it doesn't clearly contradict the on-field decision then the on-field decision should stand.
I think i.read before given the speed that players can be running at the margin of error can actually be a few foot. Not sure if they have managed to narrow that down more. But that was certainly the case last season.

Captain Obvious

Leeds United with 10 men for all of the 2nd half beat Manchester City. Unbelievable Jeff!

An Watcher

Unbelievable when you've picked city in your last man standing comp  >:( >:(

Milltown Row2

West Ham ain't hanging back