Author Topic: Premier League 20/21  (Read 71094 times)

sid waddell

• View Profile
Re: Premier League 20/21
« Reply #1095 on: February 22, 2021, 12:39:14 PM »
As a Liverpool supporter I thought the Everton penalty was fair enough

It reminded me a bit of the clash between Shay Given and Ruud van Nistelrooy in the Ireland-Holland game in 2001, which, in all fairness, should have been a penalty

J70

• View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: February 22, 2021, 12:51:24 PM »
The game has changed lads:

https://twitter.com/AnalysisGaa/status/1363427127597662210

How the f**k did Vinnie Jones stay on the field? ;D

You had to have balls to play against f**kers like him.

sid waddell

• View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: February 22, 2021, 12:54:29 PM »

Having balls could be a serious hindrance when playing against Vinnie Jones, as Paul Gascoigne found out

J70

• View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: February 22, 2021, 01:03:49 PM »

Having balls could be a serious hindrance when playing against Vinnie Jones, as Paul Gascoigne found out

;D

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: February 22, 2021, 01:48:35 PM »
Is the penalty scenario basically taking away from what was a deserved win by Everton anyway?

J70

• View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: February 22, 2021, 01:50:16 PM »
Is the penalty scenario basically taking away from what was a deserved win by Everton anyway?

Haven't seen anyone suggest that.

Liverpool haven't scored at Anfield from open play since Christmas. They didn't look like they were going to in the last ten against Everton either.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: February 28, 2021, 07:21:28 PM »
Sheff Utd are 7/1 against a team missing so many players. Still have the top 3 attackers but this will be a tough one.

Probably win 3-0  ;D
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: February 28, 2021, 07:46:46 PM »
Random question... how is Christian Benteke a premier league footballer? He has been awful for years.

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: March 01, 2021, 10:03:41 AM »
Random question... how is Christian Benteke a premier league footballer? He has been awful for years.

And he's almost certainly on over 80k a week.

He was unreal at Villa. Never worked out after that. Palace seem to be fond of taking a punt on these duds, Benteke, Batshauyi, Sorloth, Adebayor, Chamkh (spelling), Remy, Tosin.

Something I've never understood about modern football in which managers are regularly kicked to the side like dirt, how such underperforming, clearly uninterested and unmotivated players continue to stay on the merry-go-round picking up huge wages.

shark

• View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: March 01, 2021, 10:50:16 AM »

And he's almost certainly on over 80k a week.

He was unreal at Villa. Never worked out after that. Palace seem to be fond of taking a punt on these duds, Benteke, Batshauyi, Sorloth, Adebayor, Chamkh (spelling), Remy, Tosin.

Something I've never understood about modern football in which managers are regularly kicked to the side like dirt, how such underperforming, clearly uninterested and unmotivated players continue to stay on the merry-go-round picking up huge wages.

They'd have to pay off his wages in full, so it doesn't create a saving. And it's not as if he is contributing zero. Scored the winning goal in their "derby" last week. Managers are paid off in full because they want to replace them. Can't have more than one manager knocking around the training ground.
When Palace signed Benteke and gave him his big wages it didn't look like such a bad move. As you said, he was unreal at Villa. He didn't fit at Liverpool, but he still scored 1 in 3 , or thereabouts. He won't get 80k or whatever in his next contract. certainly not in Europe.

lurganblue

• View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: March 01, 2021, 11:33:08 AM »
The absolute state of that farce in the Brighton match on Saturday.  How can Lee Mason tell Dunk it's ok to take it quickly, blow his whistle and then keek the begs.  The whole thing was an absolute shambles.

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: March 01, 2021, 11:37:17 AM »
Is it me or has the actual standard of refereeing become worse and not better under VAR? The referees themselves are afraid to make a decision and VAR seems to make a different call on the same type of incident from week to week. I personally think VAR is a terrible system especially with these offsides and handballs. 

J70

• View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: March 01, 2021, 11:41:25 AM »
The absolute state of that farce in the Brighton match on Saturday.  How can Lee Mason tell Dunk it's ok to take it quickly, blow his whistle and then keek the begs.  The whole thing was an absolute shambles.

Dunk scored an identical free against Liverpool at Anfield last year and it was fine then.

But Mason disallowed it, then allowed it, then disallowed it again.

As for handball, I'm lost. Why did United not get that penalty yesterday?

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: March 01, 2021, 11:55:34 AM »

Dunk scored an identical free against Liverpool at Anfield last year and it was fine then.

I wouldn't have called that a deliberate handball, or did it affect the ball direction or take away a goal opportunity.. The problem is VAR give those nearly every week! so Its just a pain in the hole for people watching
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

GetOverTheBar

• View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: March 01, 2021, 11:59:04 AM »

Not deliberate, did not alter the 'path' of the ball, the ball was actually going out of the box away from goal I suppose.

At the time it actually looked like the Utd player was the offender. Couldn't give a penalty for that.