Laochra Gael TG4 (New Series)

Started by an pĂșca, April 14, 2010, 09:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

Dooher was an absolutely unbelievable footballer. People just talk about his engine and determination but he was pure class. Dummy solos, fielding, kick passing, the lot.

To say Cavanagh used his engine as a 1 trick pony is disingenuous.....his engine and athleticism was unique....he literally took men on every time he got the ball, incredible. Antrim could unfortunately go a year without 1 player taking a man on...Cavanagh did it 10 times a match

If any of you have any of the Sam DVDs ...highlights of a year in the 00s...stick them on. Some of the football and sheer competitiveness was out of this world.

To think  that if the 2005 final had today's rules Muggsy would take a mark and a certain score rather than pass to Canavan for the goal ...it really is sickening.  The game is dead. No short boring kick outs then either
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

imtommygunn

That's a great point on the mark. Yeah cavanagh no one trick pony alright. Fantastic but peoples memory's get clouded because he's not that likeable.

Sadly you could near be right on Antrim. It was the one thing you always got with tony scullion though.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Gold on April 27, 2021, 11:41:11 PM
Dooher was an absolutely unbelievable footballer. People just talk about his engine and determination but he was pure class. Dummy solos, fielding, kick passing, the lot.

To say Cavanagh used his engine as a 1 trick pony is disingenuous.....his engine and athleticism was unique....he literally took men on every time he got the ball, incredible. Antrim could unfortunately go a year without 1 player taking a man on...Cavanagh did it 10 times a match

If any of you have any of the Sam DVDs ...highlights of a year in the 00s...stick them on. Some of the football and sheer competitiveness was out of this world.

To think  that if the 2005 final had today's rules Muggsy would take a mark and a certain score rather than pass to Canavan for the goal ...it really is sickening.  The game is dead. No short boring kick outs then either

He was 5'9" or 5'10" max, I thought he was unreal, a winner. Got to know him well too, a gentleman

imtommygunn

He was a real warrior. I felt sorry for boys who had to mark him - he just never stopped.

Maroon Manc

Last nights episode was very good, Kieran Fitzgerald came across very well.

Duine Eile

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 11, 2022, 10:37:33 AM

He's an absolute gentleman and I think the episode portrayed that very well. Laochra Gael really highlights the fact that you never know what a player on the pitch is going through off it, we forget sometimes these players are private individuals off the field with problems and trauma of their own to deal with.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Duine Eile on February 11, 2022, 06:32:18 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 11, 2022, 10:37:33 AM

He's an absolute gentleman and I think the episode portrayed that very well. Laochra Gael really highlights the fact that you never know what a player on the pitch is going through off it, we forget sometimes these players are private individuals off the field with problems and trauma of their own to deal with.

No more so than next weeks with Johnny McGurk
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Substandard

It's some series.  I missed a lot of them recently,  would have loved to have seen this one, and by all accounts the Sambo one was outstanding as well.
From a Rossie point of view, I enjoyed Cake's one, but not having seen either Kieran Fitzgerald nor Sambo, I'd have to say that, for me, the best and most moving one was Kieran Duff- a brilliant watch.  He was one hardy hure!!

Saffrongael

Have enjoyed the Joe Quaid one most this season so far, what a keeper he was
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Armagh Girl

Have to say the Sambo McNaughton episode was a great watch, and emotional for him too - given what he had to deal with outside of his Hurling.  Fair Play to him for learning how to deal with his speech impediment and the mannerism in which he was treated during his school life, which was shocking.  He came across very well and proved himself both on and off the pitch.  He is a complete hero up in the Glens and fully deserved !!

An Watcher

Some are better than others.  Thought last night's was excellent as never seen or heard of that fella before but remember hearing about the meehans sister

redzone

You can watch them back on the tg4 player/app

seafoid

Quote from: Armagh Girl on February 11, 2022, 08:13:07 PM
Have to say the Sambo McNaughton episode was a great watch, and emotional for him too - given what he had to deal with outside of his Hurling.  Fair Play to him for learning how to deal with his speech impediment and the mannerism in which he was treated during his school life, which was shocking.  He came across very well and proved himself both on and off the pitch.  He is a complete hero up in the Glens and fully deserved !!
I really enjoyed that one too. Sambo is very impressive. A pity about the 89 final.

Sambo about halfway during Offaly match
"If you are going to beat me you had better take your A game"

End of all Ireland " I never had that mentality where it was good just to be there. "

Imagine Antrim getting back to CP.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: An Watcher on February 11, 2022, 08:29:26 PM
Some are better than others.  Thought last night's was excellent as never seen or heard of that fella before but remember hearing about the meehans sister

Never heard of Kieran Fitzgerald! Wow !
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

galwayman

Fitzy is a real gent. Enjoyed that.
I know he retired from county football a fair while ago but I'm surprised all the same to read a few saying they've never heard of him.
He was full back on a three in a row winning AI club team after all as recently as 2020.