FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 30, 2021, 11:09:34 PM
Quote from: general_lee on March 30, 2021, 08:55:51 PM
We are drawing with a bunch of plumbers. We haven't the players

They are the Asian champions
That's like saying they are Lory Meagher champions. Hardly means they're the gold standard

shark

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 31, 2021, 07:34:26 AM

That's like saying they are Lory Meagher champions. Hardly means they're the gold standard

So there is the "gold standard" and "a bunch of plumbers", with nothing in between? Nuance is dead.

seafoid

It's like the Dubs in the mid 00s.
Older players weren't good enough.
Psychology was poor. Young players adopted losing attitude. Losses added up
It takes time to turn this kind of thing around
https://youtu.be/O3G1bwD0ao0
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Armagh18

Quote from: shark on March 31, 2021, 07:49:26 AM

So there is the "gold standard" and "a bunch of plumbers", with nothing in between? Nuance is dead.
They're not a bunch of plumbers but ffs they're a poor side we should be thumping if we'd anything about us. There's massive problems in Irish soccer and sacking Kenny won't fix that.

shark

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 31, 2021, 08:20:56 AM
Quote from: shark on March 31, 2021, 07:49:26 AM

They're not a bunch of plumbers but ffs they're a poor side we should be thumping if we'd anything about us. There's massive problems in Irish soccer and sacking Kenny won't fix that.

Agreed.

Itchy

The main criticism I would have of Kenny is his insistence on playing out from the keeper when under a high press. This is just the latest fad that everyone is trying to do. Teams who do this well and successfully do it becuase they have better players than the team they are pressing, thats the whole point. Its the same in GAA, you press the kickout to force him to kick long because you have an advantage on a long kick out.

Ireland do not have better passing players than nearly any team at the moment. For me we should stop this nonsense of rolling the ball to a player inside the small box, kick out the ball (if there is a press), fight for it and win possession in midfield and then focus on breaking down the opposition defence - something else we are not good at.

The bottom line is we dont have the players anymore to qualify for tournaments and sacking Kenny is just stupid to be honest.

seafoid

The last time things were this bad was 1968-71 when they didn't win a match. But there were no candyass opposition teams, they didn't play a team with a lower population and the Euros were serious.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/0329/1206780-four-year-run-of-results-spells-out-size-of-job-ahead/
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Itchy on March 31, 2021, 08:46:28 AM
The main criticism I would have of Kenny is his insistence on playing out from the keeper when under a high press. This is just the latest fad that everyone is trying to do. Teams who do this well and successfully do it becuase they have better players than the team they are pressing, thats the whole point. Its the same in GAA, you press the kickout to force him to kick long because you have an advantage on a long kick out.

Ireland do not have better passing players than nearly any team at the moment. For me we should stop this nonsense of rolling the ball to a player inside the small box, kick out the ball (if there is a press), fight for it and win possession in midfield and then focus on breaking down the opposition defence - something else we are not good at.

The bottom line is we dont have the players anymore to qualify for tournaments and sacking Kenny is just stupid to be honest.

So we just keep him for the next 10 yrs when it so clearly isnt working?
11 games is more than Micks last reign plus he had an additional 2 yrs before that knowing the job was his to prep
There are a lot of excuses floating around but at the end of the day the guy just isnt up to it.
We may not have the players to qualify but we are a lot better than the last 11 results would suggest. Talking Luxembourg and Qatar up is just getting embarrassing.

trailer

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 31, 2021, 10:41:47 AM

11 games is more than Micks last reign plus he had an additional 2 yrs before that knowing the job was his to prep
There are a lot of excuses floating around but at the end of the day the guy just isnt up to it.
We may not have the players to qualify but we are a lot better than the last 11 results would suggest. Talking Luxembourg and Qatar up is just getting embarrassing.

How long did Stan get when he running around losing to Cyprus? Did he get the full campaign? This campaign is a write off. Leave him to it. Hopefully 11 superstars emerge over the next year or so.

Itchy

I didnt say keep him for 10 years.

Luxembourg were leading Portugal and lost only 1-3. The Lux of old would be bet 5 nil every time against a team like Portugal. They are not brilliant but its not the team of postmen that they once were. Qatar, I know nothing about, but they looked to have a few handy players last night. If you want to consider a real joke team I present you Gibraltar, a true old style amateur soccer team. How did Mick (suddenly the worlds best manager) get on against them?

The truth is the standards are being raised in other countries and the standard in this country is going down big time.

I think it is a joke to keep blaming the manager for this although I do think he could and should tweak some of the things he is doing.

MayoBuck

Kenny should finish out this campaign. Nothing to lose so may as well see if he can develop a new team. The FAI can't afford to sack him and hire someone else.

There will have to be a major upturn in results to get a new contract however.

Armagh18

Quote from: Itchy on March 31, 2021, 10:59:09 AM

I didnt say keep him for 10 years.

Luxembourg were leading Portugal and lost only 1-3. The Lux of old would be bet 5 nil every time against a team like Portugal. They are not brilliant but its not the team of postmen that they once were. Qatar, I know nothing about, but they looked to have a few handy players last night. If you want to consider a real joke team I present you Gibraltar, a true old style amateur soccer team. How did Mick (suddenly the worlds best manager) get on against them?

The truth is the standards are being raised in other countries and the standard in this country is going down big time.

I think it is a joke to keep blaming the manager for this although I do think he could and should tweak some of the things he is doing.
I'd agree with that. We need to move on from the days of hoof it up and hope for the best- partly because we don't have the players to even implement that and also because it's no way to play football. We should be able to strike a balance between the possession game we're trying to play and the old fashioned hoofball.

mouview

The players just aren't up to it also, and weren't under Big Mick either. The best manager in the world wouldn't make a silk purse out of them currently. Who besides Coleman is regularly playing for a proper Premier league side? Maybe Robbie Brady. It's a race between Mourinho and Matt Doherty to see who will leave Spurs first. The others are scarcely playing for teams that are struggling or will be relegated. That's where we are at, and as so many others have said already, it's been a long time coming. There's no magic wand, no magic bean tree that international class players will fall down from. Brexit will hardly prevent our better young players from taking their chances in Britain, but it may encourage them to look further afield and continue their sporting education away from what Dragan Stojkovic called 'island football'.

Ed Ricketts

Qatar are the current Asian champions, having beaten Saudi Arabia, South Korea, and Japan on the way to that title - all World Cup regulars. They're ranked in the mid-50s in the world, just about a dozen places below Ireland and in and about the likes of Israel, Finland and Bulgaria - countries that we've always struggled with, under every manager. Anyone expecting us to rock up and trounce them just hasn't being paying attention to the trajectory of either country over recent years.

If we'd anything about us we would beat them. But we don't, and haven't going back a couple of managers now. Our 'front' seven last night included two premier league players - both bench warmers at relegation threatened clubs. The rest were a mix of lower league journeymen and newbies. But that's our lot at the minute, and expectations should reflect this. We were never going to qualify for this world cup and the campaign was always going to have a focus on bringing through younger players.

Comparisons with the O'Neill era, and even McCarthy's brief spell, are redundant. Those managers had more to work with, and even then didn't do much very noteworthy. And their mandate, like that of every Irish manager going back decades, was to just keep things tight and have the team in mathematical contention for qualification for as long as possible - that meant tickets were sold for Lansdowne and the FAI was kept afloat. There was never any ambition to try anything different, until now. Which is why it's important to see where this all goes, even if it has to be under different management.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

tiempo

The Dubs would have bet the Qatari's out the gate, sad but true