FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

A reality check on the belief by some that this group of players can play a possession game and get the desired results. 

Capt Pat

The manager has to take a lot of the blame for a result like this. In terms of players we are not that bad and shouldn't be losing at home against Luxembourg. It is the managers job to pick the team and motivate the players.

This performance brings back memories of Staunton and the 5-2 defeat to Cyprus.

JPGJOHNNYG

Here lads ffs the football under Mick was bad to watch but his record was 5-4-1. Kenny is a joke and this was so obviously going to happen yet he is still getting defended by so many. Any other manager would have been long gone. Enough of the excuses he is unlucky etc He is just bad.

Itchy

Quote from: Capt Pat on March 27, 2021, 10:07:52 PM
The manager has to take a lot of the blame for a result like this. In terms of players we are not that bad and shouldn't be losing at home against Luxembourg. It is the managers job to pick the team and motivate the players.

With the players available tell us who you would have picked tonight and the tactics you would have employed.

tintin25

Let's face it, regardless of how tonight went Ireland were never going to Qatar.  As bad as the result was, I don't see the point in getting rid of him now.  Michael O'Neill only won 1 game out of first 18 in charge when he managed NI.... that tenure didn't turn out too badly in the end.  Oh, they were beaten by both Luxembourg and Azerbaijan also.

yellowcard

The problems go way beyond Stephen Kenny and ultimately there is a lack of quality on the pitch.

However Kenny has done nothing since he came into the job to justify the media hype. To listen to some you would think he was the second coming of Pep Guardiola. Yes, we play a bit more football in the middle third but it's not exactly swashbuckling stuff either. He was always going to face the challenge of earning the respect of seasoned professionals that he was up to the job but he has done nothing to date to suggest that he is capable at this level.

Sacking the manager may not be the answer but it can't get much lower than it did tonight. If this was O'Neill or Trap the media would be gunning for them.

JPGJOHNNYG

Standards dropping fast when we aspire to be as good as NI under Kenny

sid waddell

Kenny when speaking reminds me of Paul Curran on The Sunday Game

Ye know

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 27, 2021, 10:21:25 PM
Standards dropping fast when we aspire to be as good as NI under Kenny

Would need to aspire at the very least to best Luxembourg at home, worst case scenario is a draw, but bate out the gate
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dillinger

Hoof Hearted

Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

yellowcard

Quote from: sid waddell on March 27, 2021, 10:24:46 PM
Kenny when speaking reminds me of Paul Curran on The Sunday Game

Ye know

Actually felt sorry for him during that interview, it was a painful watch.

Im sure he is a good football man but he hasn't carried any air of authority since he came into the job and is a poor communicator in front of the cameras. There are plenty of good football men but that shouldn't qualify you to manage at international level.

Capt Pat

Quote from: Itchy on March 27, 2021, 10:15:09 PM

With the players available tell us who you would have picked tonight and the tactics you would have employed.

I am not an international class football manager so I decline to answer that but the team badly needs an internstional class manager and Kenny it seems is not one.

Itchy

There's no doubt that the man is under pressure and I'd fear for him in that some of these players could throw him under the bus by not stepping up now on Tuesday. His biggest challenge is now, to get these boys to react to that result in the right way. Sacking Kenny now would achieve nothing anyway.

Itchy

Quote from: Capt Pat on March 27, 2021, 10:40:40 PM
Quote from: Itchy on March 27, 2021, 10:15:09 PM

I am not an international class football manager so I decline to answer that but the team badly needs an internstional class manager and Kenny it seems is not one.

That's a cop out. You haven't the balls to tell us what players should be on the pitch and in what positions but you can tell us the manager got it wrong?