Galway v Derry

Started by tbrick18, January 31, 2007, 04:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

What do you think...Paddy Bradley to pull Derry through or Galway to edge it with home advantage.
Derry I hope!!!!!

fer fox ache

Any word on what the Galway side's going to be like

GalwayBayBoy

Well Donnellan's retired. No Padraig Joyce anyway. Still out injured. Meehans didn't play in FBD and having the seen the other thread on their late sister they won't be playing I imagine. Joe Bergin is back apparently. His injury wasn't as bad as thought.

Wonder where all the Galway posters are? Still in winter hibernation it seems.

GaillimhIarthair

Just back from hibernation GBB, hope you've wintered well  ;)

I haven't seen a Galway team named anywhere but i imagine it will be along the lines of what was doing the business in the FBD.  Derry are as unpredictible as hell, either brilliant or shite.  They are extremely reliant on Paddy Bradley for scores and I would expect Damian Burke to be given the job of looking after him for the 70 mins.  He is well up to the task and if he succeeds i expect us to win comfortably enough, if not, we could be in for a torrid afternoon. 

Galway by 4

tbrick18

Derry are extremely unpredictable and I worry about the tactics we always seem to try i.e. short passing up the field.
Midfield is also suspect, especially when Diver isn't playing. I would make Galway favorites at the minute but Derry have a few players back since the mckenna cup, like Lockhart, Lynch and O'kane which should improve them. I would like to say Derry by 4, but I think its one of those games that could go any way....a big win for galway, or a big win for derry....or even a draw!

I haven't got a clue...but hope Derry nick it.

GalwayBayBoy

Yeah this one can go either way. We're missing a few big players but I still think we should do enough to edge a narrow win. Derry are very unpredictable. Brilliant some days. Absolutely dreadful other days. We have a bit of an indian sign over Derry as well although mainly in the championship so I don't think that'll be a factor.

On the basis of home advantage alone I think we might nick a tight one. Just hope the lads can keep their focus on the game which might not be easy with three of their teammates directly involved with the sad passing of Mairead Meehan.

Owenmoresider

Latest - Derry 0-11 Galway 0-5, all over them. Midway through second half. Not looking good at all for Galway.

Owenmoresider

Derry 0-12 Galway 0-6, not sure of the time.

Owenmoresider

Duine Eile

Well another disappointing start to the league. It kind of pales into insignificance though when you consider the events of the past week. Same problems areas seem to be evident today: Goal and forwards. Paul Doherty's kick outs weren't great .He's a young lad and hopefully he'll improve with match practice. Finian Hanley's first day as captain didn't go very well either, gave his worst performance in a long time. Forwards only scored 7points in 70 mins of football. Its difficult to be too hard on them though in fairness,they've all had a tough week. The majority of them would have known Mairead Meehan personally and football was probably the last thing on their minds. I don't think they even trained collectively this week. Still though, a win in Laois is vital now, especially with the new league format next year, every point is vital!

mouview

They mightn't have trained collectively this week but what were they doing for the past few months? I know one daffodil doesn't make a Spring but Jeez we were wretched yesterday. Doherty's kick-outs were middling but he deserves and will get a chance. Darren Mullahy got such a chasing from 5 minutes in and was never switched or subbed. Hanley was also uncomfortable but is still good enough to put it behind him. Half-back line was the best of a bad lot but carried the play too far up the field, compressing the room for the forwards. Midfield sub-par and Cullinane should have been taken off, he wasn't lucky he wasn't sent off. Half-forward line hot an cold, Ja's jinks don't fool too many at the moment and Bergin's kicking once again let him down. Matt Clancy was ok until injured but very one-sided. Full-forward line tried hard on limited possession but never threatened a goal. Bad enough though the performances were the tactical set-up was worse; to repeat, with the half-back line coming too far upfield the room for the forwards was just crowded out. Forde needs to sort out that aspect and quick. Regretfully, we are in the Intermediate ranks at County level now and there's damn all coming through to get us out of that rut at the moment.

screenexile

Alrite lads just wondering if any of you could shed any light on Derry's performance as I doubt there were too many of our supporters down who could give an opinion. Were we good or were Galway really bad or was it a mixture of both? Who were the standout players apart from Gilligan and Bradley?

ross matt

Surprised this match went ahead considering the close links a number of the players on the Galway panel had to the bereaved.

GaillimhIarthair

A very poor performance from our lads yesterday.  Competed well for the first 15 - 20 mins but Derry basically took total control of the game there after and ran out very convincing winners.  We actually went about half an hour without scoring during the second half !  As has already been said here, problems persist in the same area's as usual, but hopefully there will be a marked improvement against Laois.  Its been a tough week on alot of these fella's so I'm certainly giving them the benefit of the doubt as regards yesterday.  Need to lower the blades from next week on though.........................

tbrick18

If I was a Galway fan I wouldnt worry too much...with the events of the last week coupled with injuries it was always going to be difficult for them and I think Derry knew they could take advantage. This was a must win away game for Derry as the other away games to the likes of Armagh will be a lot more difficult.

I think Galway will improve throughout the league, they usually do.

Derry must try to build on this win and from what I have heard there was room for improvement there too with some of the "key" palyers having relatively quiet games.

I must admit, I thought taking Gilligan back into the team was a mistake but by all accounts he was outstanding against Galway. I hope he proves me wrong consistantly as this is one of the problem positions Derry have had over the last few years and if Gilligan can keep up this kind of perfromance I'd be more than happy.