Connacht U20 and U17 championships 2024

Started by Cunny Funt, January 18, 2021, 11:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Didn't get to see the game tonight but a decent win for us.
I know nothing about this bunch personally but work with a guy who is involved in underage Galway football academy who reckons they aren't anywhere near the level of last years crew and isn't expecting them to compete at All Ireland level this year.
He would have told me before the start of last year that they were very promising.
Reckons Mayo very strong this year.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: galwayman on April 14, 2023, 09:19:54 PM
I know nothing about this bunch personally but work with a guy who is involved in underage Galway football academy who reckons they aren't anywhere near the level of last years crew and isn't expecting them to compete at All Ireland level this year.
He would have told me before the start of last year that they were very promising.

Apparently as strong as last year if not stronger now. Their U15s two years ago was running up big scores and collecting silverware. 

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 14, 2023, 08:55:43 PM
Galway look a serious side. Someone needs to check no14 birth cert because he's a unit. Sligo did Incredibly well to hold galway to 4 pts. Some great last ditch blocks and saves to prevent Galway goals but i wouldnt agree it was that comfortable. The only thing I would say is the galway goal was very fortunate point chance that hit post and they had only 2 wides to our 8 so I wouldn't be waving the white flag yet from our perspective. If we had Eli Rooney inside we would be serious contenders. 4 or 5 of our lads looked very promising and all showed huge bravery at times. If we can finish 3rd in the group I'd be happy and give the semi final a good rattle.

Actually thought Sligo looked a pretty decent side again. Agree on the Galway 14. He went into midfield for every kick out and he must have caught about 5 or 6 kickouts clean. A monsterous young fella. And the captain McGlinchey in midfield was dominant around the middle as well. Galway probably wasteful with goal chances spurned but Sligo again look to have a very competitive underage side.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 14, 2023, 09:46:35 PM
Quote from: galwayman on April 14, 2023, 09:19:54 PM

Apparently as strong as last year if not stronger now. Their U15s two years ago was running up big scores and collecting silverware.
Is it possible for ye to be stronger. Last years team was elite and very impressive. I know Galway won the AI but Mayo were better imo. Its ultra hard to beat a team 3 times in a row. I was happy we got 3-10 on ye in Ballina in a pretty epic match we lost.

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 15, 2023, 03:13:09 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 14, 2023, 08:55:43 PM
Galway look a serious side. Someone needs to check no14 birth cert because he's a unit. Sligo did Incredibly well to hold galway to 4 pts. Some great last ditch blocks and saves to prevent Galway goals but i wouldnt agree it was that comfortable. The only thing I would say is the galway goal was very fortunate point chance that hit post and they had only 2 wides to our 8 so I wouldn't be waving the white flag yet from our perspective. If we had Eli Rooney inside we would be serious contenders. 4 or 5 of our lads looked very promising and all showed huge bravery at times. If we can finish 3rd in the group I'd be happy and give the semi final a good rattle.

Actually thought Sligo looked a pretty decent side again. Agree on the Galway 14. He went into midfield for every kick out and he must have caught about 5 or 6 kickouts clean. A monsterous young fella. And the captain McGlinchey in midfield was dominant around the middle as well. Galway probably wasteful with goal chances spurned but Sligo again look to have a very competitive underage side.
Thanks GBB, good outside perspective. Don't get me wrong Galway are good enough to hammer teams for sure but I just thought our lads did well to wrestle momentum back at various stages. From a Sligo perspective seeing our 3,6, 8, 9, 11 looking very accomplished is all I needed to see to add to what's coming through now at u20. Hopefully our u20s can deliver again on Wednesday because its hard to believe we have 10 starters and our best player who comes on all underage again next year. The more players coming through together at the same time the better.

All in its good we don't face Mayo until last because Leitrim and Roscommon will tell us more of where we are at.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Blowitupref

U20 final live on the APP and TG4.ie tonight at 6:30pm and TV deferred coverage at 7:30pm. 

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

20 minutes played Galway was on top and 0-5 to 0-1 ahead.  Half time Galway 0-7 Sligo 0-6
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

An Fhairche Abu

Sligo will be happier at HT as Galway should really be up by 3-4 points. Some really poor wides/attempts and a brainless free given away by Bermingham at the end of the half for a giveaway free. Sligo came roaring back into it for the last ten minutes of the half but Galway should have put much more distance between the teams than 4 point margin in the first twenty minutes. Very unlikely they will get another period on top as much again in the 2nd half.

Blowitupref

0-9 each 41 minutes played.   45 mins Sligo are now 0-11 to 0-9 ahead.

Level game again  0-11 each 53 mins played.

Galway back in front again but have missed some decent goal chances. 0-12 to 0-11.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway miss 2 great goal chances that would probably have finished the game given the time remaining.

Blowitupref

Two minutes of added time to play 0-13 each, next score wins?

Sligo with the winner in the 4th minute to injury time. FT Sligo 0-14 Galway 0-13. I'd give MOTM to their goalkeeper as those saves was huge.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway blew that really. Can't miss those goal chances in the last few minutes. They were gold plated goal chances. Got caught giving the ball away then looking for the winning point and Sligo scored it with pretty much the last fist of the game.

An Fhairche Abu

Congrats to Sligo, Galway absolutely kicked that away, brainless stuff in the last 7/8 minutes, harsh to say it but that's the truth of it.

Itchy

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on April 19, 2023, 07:54:37 PM
Congrats to Sligo, Galway absolutely kicked that away, brainless stuff in the last 7/8 minutes, harsh to say it but that's the truth of it.
100% kicked it away.
Congrats to Sligo.

Tubberman

Brilliant for Sligo!
As the captain said "Sligo are now a fuckin big dog" :😀
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."