Connacht U20 and U17 championships 2024

Started by Cunny Funt, January 18, 2021, 11:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Population 70k, soccer the main game in the Town (about 20k pop) so they're really punching above their weight.
Good win for them tonight.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rudi

Mayo u20s will still go further in this championship than Sligo u20s.  ;D ;)

Twas a bad evening wile rain, didnt suit Mayo. And what about them Sligo lads feigning injuries.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Rossfan on April 12, 2023, 09:23:07 PM
Population 70k, soccer the main game in the Town (about 20k pop) so they're really punching above their weight.
Good win for them tonight.

There are a plethora of Mayo (and probably Roscommon/Leitrim and further a field) lads playing underage with Sligo Rovers. So that hit is not as immense and it may seem. Still outside of that there is a smaller pool. Well done again Sligo and best of luck for the rest of the year.

Maroon Manc

Sligo very impressive last night, I only saw the middle 2 quarters and they were completely dominant; Fairly sure over half that team are underage next year too

PP have it an even game next week which really surprises me, all the evidence points towards a Sligo win.

galwayman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 13, 2023, 01:22:07 PM
Sligo very impressive last night, I only saw the middle 2 quarters and they were completely dominant; Fairly sure over half that team are underage next year too

PP have it an even game next week which really surprises me, all the evidence points towards a Sligo win.
That is surprising. Galway's tradition probably at play there. The day I saw Galway play in the John Kerins Cup they would certainly have lost without Liam O Conghaile who was brilliant that day.
He's out injured now and also was their freetaker so it's a big ask.
Stranger things have happened I guess.

Blowitupref

U20 final confirmed for Wednesday 19th at 6:30pm in Tuam.

The odds would have factored in the scheduling for the two teams

Galway had 15 days to prepare for this final.

Sligo this will be their 3rd match in 14 days.

Sligo's first ever U21/U20 Connacht title was last year and Galway have won it 21 times.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

galwayman

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 13, 2023, 03:31:36 PM
U20 final confirmed for Wednesday 19th at 6:30pm in Tuam.

The odds would have factored in the scheduling for the two teams

Galway had 15 days to prepare for this final.

Sligo this will be their 3rd match in 14 days.

Sligo's first ever U21/U20 Connacht title was last year and Galway have won it 21 times.
At under 20 level though - a game every week is probably about right. Recovery not as much of an issue at that age I think personally.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 13, 2023, 01:22:07 PM

9 for their 2021 Connacht Minor winning team played last night and James Donlon ruled out through injury last night would be a 10th player. The goalkeeper is only 18 I believe. 

Quote from: galwayman on April 13, 2023, 03:50:21 PM
At under 20 level though - a game every week is probably about right. Recovery not as much of an issue at that age I think personally.
three championship games in two weeks in tough going for conditioned senior footballers never mind U20s and even tougher when the opposition have had a two week break.

Blowitupref

Half time in the round 1 U17 matches

Galway 0-6 Sligo 1-4
Roscommon 0-6 Mayo 0-13
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

armaghniac

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 14, 2023, 07:07:16 PM

Galway 0-6 Sligo 1-4
Roscommon 0-6 Mayo 0-13

Sligo obviously coming through at underage.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

While we seem to be slipping further behind....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tubberman

Quote from: armaghniac on April 14, 2023, 07:23:14 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on April 14, 2023, 07:07:16 PM

Galway 0-6 Sligo 1-4
Roscommon 0-6 Mayo 0-13

Sligo obviously coming through at underage.

They had the wind in 1st half, Galway 6 up now.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Maroon Manc

A very comfortable 4 point win, missed a lot of good goal chances in the first half.

Galway have 4 from last year including Ross Coen who looks a class above.

Blowitupref

Galway and Mayo the All-Ireland finalists last year looking like the Strongest teams in Connacht again at U17.

Results

Sligo 1-9 Galway 1-13
Roscommon 0-11 Mayo 2-17

SLIGONIAN

Galway look a serious side. Someone needs to check no14 birth cert because he's a unit. Sligo did Incredibly well to hold galway to 4 pts. Some great last ditch blocks and saves to prevent Galway goals but i wouldnt agree it was that comfortable. The only thing I would say is the galway goal was very fortunate point chance that hit post and they had only 2 wides to our 8 so I wouldn't be waving the white flag yet from our perspective. If we had Eli Rooney inside we would be serious contenders. 4 or 5 of our lads looked very promising and all showed huge bravery at times. If we can finish 3rd in the group I'd be happy and give the semi final a good rattle.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"