Ulster U20 and Minor Championships 2024

Started by Captain Obvious, March 22, 2023, 05:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleater

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on May 02, 2024, 09:36:51 AM
Quote from: NotedObserver on May 01, 2024, 09:49:30 PMNot much in the game throughout but Derry had a 10 minute spell where if they had a couple of 2 footed forwards they could have got a lead. Plenty of talent on show and interesting to see who will kick on
Tyrone be looking a reasonable return out of this squad. Rafferty, Daly, Hughes, O'Neill, McCullagh, McElholm, Potter, O'Hare, McAneney would be the obvious players that would offer something to the Senior panel.

Tyrone's McElholm and O'Hare look like very good indeed. They look to have 5 or 6 that will make the cut at senior.  That's a very good Derry side too. Forbes, McEldowney and McGuckian will be top players for Derry for years to come. That was a very even Ulster championship with very little between the top 4 sides. Monaghan will be a coming force in next few years too with some top prospects coming through especially Stephen Mooney who put on an exhibition of point scoring against Armagh and Tyrone.

Keyser soze

Derry must have given up 2-05 directly from turnovers, they have too many forwards whose first inclination is to have a wee solo which resulted in them getting outmuscled in the tackle time after time. This was a clear problem in the donegal game [first game I seen so was probably an issue in previous matches] and should have been remedied before the final.

They should also have started their strongest team and this would have been a comfortable win!!!!

tbrick18

Quote from: Mikhailov on May 01, 2024, 10:54:10 PMDerry were 4 up at HT in ET and then decided to give up the kickouts (which they dominated in the first half of ET) this gave Tyrone the impetus to come and chase down the lead - Derry will be devastated - poor game management both on the pitch and along the line letting that lead slip.

It thought in general, that team was badly managed. All afraid to shoot until the certain score was on, side-to-side, pass back mentality seems to be ingrained in this group of Derry players.
I thought we had better footballers all over the field, but our attack play was so slow and rarely did the player on the ball look up to see the runner.
Tyrone's blanket got back really quick, and they attacked directly and at pace.
Management need to take responsibility for that loss if you ask me as tactics won/lost that game

Agree with some of the other comments on turnovers - really cost us.

The whole game just felt like if Derry threw caution to the wind in attack, we'd get through or get fouled.

Tyrone more "cute" out the field and definitely more physical. But for me, Derry had the better players.

Generally I like penalties (I know I'm in the minority), but that was brutal from a Derry pov. Size difference in the two keepers was really noticeable, but the quality of penalties by Tyrone was much better.

GAABoardMod5

Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on April 28, 2024, 08:07:59 AM
Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on April 20, 2024, 10:46:30 PMMinor Football Standings after 20 April games:

Group A

Donegal    played 2, 4pts, +22 scoring diff 
Monaghan  played 2, 4pts, +18
Tyrone    played 3, 4pts, +10   
Down      played 2, 0pts, -7   
Fermanagh  played 3, 0pts, -43

Group B

Derry played 2, 4 pts, +27
Armagh played 2, 4 pts, +18
Cavan played 2, 0pts, -8
Antrim played 2, 0pts, -37

Group A round 4 results 27 April

Down 3-9 Donegal 1-6
Tyrone 4-13 Monaghan 0-10

Tyrone    played 4, 6pts, +25
Donegal    played 3, 4pts, +13 scoring diff 
Monaghan  played 3, 4pts, +3 
Down      played 3, 2pts, +2 
Fermanagh  played 3, 0pts, -43

Last Round of fixtures:

Group A Round 5 on 4 May
Down v Fermanagh in Newry
Donegal v Monaghan in Ballybofey

Group B Round 3 on 4 May
Cavan v Antrim in Kingspan Breffni
Derry v Armagh in Owenbeg

4 May Results:

Group A
Down 3-14 Fermanagh 0-6
Donegal 2-12 Monaghan 0-8

Donegal win Group A, Tyrone second, Monaghan third.

Group B
Cavan 1-15 Antrim 0-10
Derry 2-18 Armagh 0-7

Derry win Group B, Armagh second, Cavan third.

Quarter-final fixtures 11 May:

Tyrone v Cavan in Omagh
Armagh v Monaghan in Armagh

Derry and Donegal, as Group winners, will be at home for their respective semi-final on 18 May.

armaghniac

Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on May 04, 2024, 11:47:58 PMDerry and Donegal, as Group winners, will be at home for their respective semi-final on 18 May.

How are the quarter final winners drawn against these teams? Avoiding a team in their group?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B