TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on May 30, 2021, 11:48:04 PM
Just finished the final series of The Americans and would have to say it's the best series I have watched in a long long time. it can be a bit of a slow burn at times but the acting , storylines and the 80's soundtrack were a fantastic combination.
And the quality was remarkably consistent throughout the 6 series.
I have just started watching The Mosquito Coast, an imaginative take on the book,  it's early days  yet but it looks very good. Some similarities with the Americans, as in the children.

gallsman

Perfect finale to Mare of Easttown. It'll clean up in the female anything categories at the Emmys and deservedly so.

Geoff Tipps

Just finished the final series of The Americans and would have to say it's the best series I have watched in a long long time. it can be a bit of a slow burn at times but the acting , storylines and the 80's soundtrack were a fantastic combination.

It's just brilliant TV. Up there with the best of them.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Main Street on May 31, 2021, 01:18:48 AM
And the quality was remarkably consistent throughout the 6 series.
I have just started watching The Mosquito Coast, an imaginative take on the book,  it's early days  yet but it looks very good. Some similarities with the Americans, as in the children.
Is Mosquito Coast just on Apple TV?

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on May 31, 2021, 12:01:05 PM

It's up there with the Wire for me

gallsman

Ah lads, catch yourselves on. The Americans is great viewing, thoroughly enjoyable and compelling but quite frequently absolute nonsense. Elizabeth climbing into the trunk of the car in the repair shop and taking the trip into the FBI office makes me laugh every time (which it's not supposed to).

Not a patch on a series like The Wire.

nrico2006

Mare of Eastwood was ok, but you knew what you were in for in the finale with the timing of certain revelations throughout the last 2 episodes.

The Wire seems to be held on a pedestal in here - good show but wouldn't put it in the top 5.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 31, 2021, 12:34:11 PM
Mare of Eastwood was ok, but you knew what you were in for in the finale with the timing of certain revelations throughout the last 2 episodes.

The Wire seems to be held on a pedestal in here - good show but wouldn't put it in the top 5.

Lol.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: gallsman on May 31, 2021, 12:30:04 PM
Ah lads, catch yourselves on. The Americans is great viewing, thoroughly enjoyable and compelling but quite frequently absolute nonsense. Elizabeth climbing into the trunk of the car in the repair shop and taking the trip into the FBI office makes me laugh every time (which it's not supposed to).

Each to their own

joemamas

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on May 31, 2021, 12:01:05 PM

+1

Met a guy once who works in secret service or something similar, he did not specifically say. Anyhow, conversation turned to TV series, he said of all the ones (Homeland, 24, Jack Ryan)
the Americans was by far the most realistic.

Geoff Tipps

You have seen Season 5 of The Wire, right!?? You know the one where McNulty invents a serial killer because he's pissed off that the police budget was cut. I mean that wasn't nonesense!

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

An Watcher

Yep the big mare was very good after a dodgy enough first few episodes.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on May 31, 2021, 10:02:53 PM

You have seen Season 5 of The Wire, right!?? You know the one where McNulty invents a serial killer because he's pissed off that the police budget was cut. I mean that wasn't nonesense!
Spoiler alert! But yes it definitely lost its way by that stage.

screenexile

Quote from: An Watcher on May 31, 2021, 10:50:35 PM
Yep the big mare was very good after a dodgy enough first few episodes.

Absolute quality very good series.

Glad they tied up the phone situation as well!!  ;D ;D