Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

inisceithleann

That's some hammering Donagh got today! I'd say Rory Gallagher will be grand when he gets some more game time. He's been on the go at club level for the last 9 or 10 months, he must be pretty wrecked at this stage.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Fermanaghandsam

Good result for Fermanagh today and its been a good start to the year, Defense has per usual was excellent, worked really hard and got struck it and played as a unit. I was very impressed by O'Brien at corner back and him and Pete sherry where prob the pick of the players on show today. Ferm midfield struggled to get clean ball but they stopped Armagh getting it either and overall showed up well enough considering it was makeshift. Jones will eventually make a county midfielder but this year is prob just to soon for him. The forwards as per usual is where the problems lie. O'Fla looked sharpe and could be a great addition if he shot more. Chris O'Brien also showed up well but overall I still wonder where our scores will come from. We still dont have a 5/6 point man.

Overall a good hard working preformance but Armagh were awful and if I was a Armagh fan I would be a very worried man. Apart from Stevie I seen nothing good from them against a makeshift Fermanagh team.

Now bring on the Tyrone men!!!!!!!!!

Gold

Quote from: Fermanaghandsam on January 24, 2010, 08:58:54 PM
Good result for Fermanagh today and its been a good start to the year, Defense has per usual was excellent, worked really hard and got struck it and played as a unit. I was very impressed by O'Brien at corner back and him and Pete sherry where prob the pick of the players on show today. Ferm midfield struggled to get clean ball but they stopped Armagh getting it either and overall showed up well enough considering it was makeshift. Jones will eventually make a county midfielder but this year is prob just to soon for him. The forwards as per usual is where the problems lie. O'Fla looked sharpe and could be a great addition if he shot more. Chris O'Brien also showed up well but overall I still wonder where our scores will come from. We still dont have a 5/6 point man.

Overall a good hard working preformance but Armagh were awful and if I was a Armagh fan I would be a very worried man. Apart from Stevie I seen nothing good from them against a makeshift Fermanagh team.

Be careful what you wish for!

Who came on as subs today and who scored
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

FermPundit

We can only hope that Eamon Maguire comes back really fresh and rearing to go after his break from football. Rory Gallagher will play a major role this season. Not only in the scores he is likely to bring to the side, but also the education of decision making and positional play he can pass on to the younger players in the squad.

I think we already know we don't have a 5 or 6 points a game forward. As a result it's imperative that the forwards play as a collective unit and chip in with a couple of points per player every game.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

FermPundit

Quote from: Gold on January 24, 2010, 09:05:28 PM

Be careful what you wish for!

Who came on as subs today and who scored

Today's subs who came on were Ryan Carson, Aidan McCarron and Matthew Keenan. I'm surprised there was only 3 changes, but I don't think I missed any.

Caid

Highlights from the Armagh game (stolen from another thread)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgqmw_HZLGA
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

haranguerer

Anyone reckon theres any chance at all tomorrow night?

Not being a sayer of doom or anything, I think the campaign has been excellent - winning with inexperienced players, but would rather not have come up against tyrone I think - they're flying it seems, and the confidence could take a battering - anyone think otherwise?

FermPundit

Quote from: haranguerer on January 26, 2010, 10:01:59 PM
Anyone reckon theres any chance at all tomorrow night?

Not being a sayer of doom or anything, I think the campaign has been excellent - winning with inexperienced players, but would rather not have come up against tyrone I think - they're flying it seems, and the confidence could take a battering - anyone think otherwise?

Yeah, I agree. We were discussing this on the way home from the match on Sunday. The last thing we need is a hammering from a Tyrone tomorrow night. In saying this, it will all depend on what teams are selected by both managers. Tyrone have been very experimental in their three games and I can't see Mickey Harte moving away from this type of strategy tomorrow night. Fermanagh have also used the McKenna cup to blood new talent and it is likely that many of the new boys will play again. From last year's team I expect Chris Breen, Peter Sherry, Tommy McElroy, Ryan Carson and Damien Kelly to start. I'm not sure what the fitness status is for James Sherry, but if he's fit, he'll probably play. Up front, Aidan McCarron should start and Matthew Keenan as well. I'm only guessing, though, but we'll need some experience on the field. I would also like to see Martin O'Brien and Barry Mulrone play. Both of them have been most impressive in the games I've seen them in, especially the game against Armagh last Sunday.

The McKenna cup has served us well his year, so hopefully we can put in another good perfomance tomorrow night. It would be nice to win, especially against Tyrone, but it's all about giving the younger, newer players big match experience.

FermPundit

Fermanagh team tonight

McGrath, Burns, Jones, O'Brien, P. Sherry, Mulrone, T. McElroy, Cosgrove, Jones, Kelly, M. Keenan, O'Flaherty, D. Keenan, Foy, McCarron.

haranguerer

1.20 to 1.8  given as the ft score on the mckenna cup thread.

Mainly tyronies doing the reporting though, so only heard about their performances. How did any of the fermanagh lads do?

I'm happy enough with that result, under 15 pts, and while conceded a goal, got one back. Tyrone have the strength in depth to go for every competition they enter, and a convincing win was an inevitability. Fermanagh have given a very good account of themselves so far, which is great when consider the amount of players blooded. Bodes very well for the season ahead, and gives reassurance (not that it were needed) that O'Rourke is the man for the job.

FermPundit

I'm not too concerned about the result. We don't have the same strength in depth as Tyrone. We never have and never will, but Malachy will be pleased with our McKenna Cup campaign. I have been really impressed with quite a few of the new players. It'll be interesting to see which players are let go at this stage.

sammymaguire

I think the camp will be happy enough with this showing, 4 games, 3 wins, in decent form and should be confident of a strong showing in a very competitive division 3 this season - ANTRIM, SLIGO, LOUTH, WEXFORD, ROSCOMMON there'll be some decent football here, and the away games are not bad either going to Tullamore, Casement and Wexford Park  although it is annoying that we are not up against some stiffer counties like Tipp, Armagh, Meath, Kildare which might leave them in better shape for the championship
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Rocky Mc Guigan

Don't know how some people will be happy to escape with a hammering like that one last night. Very worrying signs for Fermanagh. One young girl sitting behind me wanted to know why the players kept shooting into the same goals

haranguerer

Its second string teams at this time of the year - the difference is that Tyrone have vast resources, so their second string is almost as good as their first. Fermanagh aren't blessed with similar resources, as we know, so their second string falls short against the likes of Tyrone.

I'm a(n optimistic) realist, a heavy beating was inevitable - it could have been worse, but most importantly when Fermanagh restore a few familiar faces they will improve a lot more than Tyrone will.

The match last night had the potential to undo all the good a solid McKenna cup campaign has done - while it was a convincing beating, I dont think it did this, so I'm happy enough.

tintin25

Folks, were the championship draws made last night?