Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

FermPundit

Quote from: FermGael on October 20, 2008, 10:46:56 AM
Newtownbutler    0-9   2-2   St. Patricks      

I hear there were quite a few players sent off yesterday. I thought Donagh wouldn't have wanted to get involved in any off the ball stuff with the Ulster Championship against Cross coming up.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Gold

Quote from: ExiledGael on October 19, 2008, 09:28:59 PM
Heard nothing so far but seen this today and thought it was worth posting. I'd post it on the main thread but it seem more in keeping with the man not to draw too much attention.

Iron man's toughest test
Kieran Shannon Gaelic Games Editor

HE was the coolest man in all of Omagh. Fermanagh had just stunned the national league champions Derry and the entire football world to qualify for only their fourth-ever Ulster final. Yet as that wave of humanity and emotion crashed onto that pitch, Marty McGrath just calmly paved his way through to underneath the main stand.

At half-time, though they trailed by two points, Malachy O'Rourke had told them they were going to win and that once they had they were to take it in their stride and avoid over-celebrating; their target all year had been to win an Ulster final, not reach one. Then, over by the tunnel, he came across team trainer Leo 'Dropsy' McBride. For all McBride's training-ground intensity he had an earthy, imperturbable manner that made it easy for players to relate to and confide in him, so with all this hysteria about the Ulster final already swirling around them, McGrath let McBride in a secret.

"I don't know if I'm going to be about for this Ulster final, Dropsy."

Minutes later in the dressing room he informed O'Rourke. Around the time of the Monaghan game he'd noticed that there was "something a bit tender around there". Then, the Tuesday before the Derry game, he had been diagnosed with testicular cancer and told that he'd have to go for an operation urgently. Only management was to know. Outside them, only his immediate family, fiancé, and team doctor, Tom Kiernan, knew. Roisín couldn't even tell her parents, let alone McGrath tell his teammates. He didn't want anyone getting unnecessarily upset or distracted by some 'will he-won't he play' saga. O'Rourke and McBride could have been forgiven for immediately thinking the impact it would have on Fermanagh's Ulster title hopes but their thoughts centred around the player. His welfare, his stoicism, his courage.

That week he would have trained and played knowing he had cancer. That evening he had won the toss yet elected to play against the wind; the way McGrath had figured it, that would turn it into a real battle which was what he and Fermanagh relished. Just minutes later Enda Muldoon had thundered into him with a ferocious side-to-side challenge that caused both men to fall to the ground and the whole of Omagh to shudder, but though it left McGrath rattled for most of that first half, it would become very clear as the evening transpired that Muldoon had come out second best in that collision.

Then, of course, there had been his heart surgery, and, as he puts himself, "the fight with a digger which I lost badly". Now this. About the only tender thing about McGrath was the area that was causing him concern, everywhere else the man was clearly made of granite, but how much more could he endure?

McGrath dealt with it the only way he knew. To keep it in perspective, keep cool and keep his sense of humour. He once said of those heart operations, "It's strange looking round and them operating. They have you relaxing at the start. I looked at my pulse and it was 46 and I was thinking, 'Jesus, I must be fair fit.' Midway through I looked at the pulse again and it was 240. I was glad I got through the second one because it was tough but sure that's only at the time."

As for that famous fight with the bucket of that JCB on the home farm? At first he thought the driver had lobbed some of his lunch at him so he roared back, "What the f***k are you throwing apples at me for?" When he arrived at the hospital, the doctor didn't know what a digger was and wasn't going to do a scan as it would mean calling someone in on a Saturday evening. "Glad he did though," McGrath would later recall, "because it [his jawbone] was fractured."

That's why he wasn't and isn't "going to make a big deal out" of his latest health scare.

"It wasn't a particularly nasty form of cancer, it was a treatable one. It had been detected in good time and there was a good recovery rate so I wasn't that concerned. Probably the worst part was that Roisín had no one else to talk to about it but I never thought for a minute that it would kill me or anything. In fairness to the management, they were saying 'Look after yourself first' but I said, 'Well, football is a big thing to me too.' The operation was pencilled in for the Wednesday after the Ulster final. Win or lose, McGrath would be on that table.

A couple of minutes into the second half a Ronan Clarke goal left Fermanagh trailing Armagh by eight points but then McGrath landed a couple of monstrous points and catches to inspire one of the comebacks of the year and force a replay. The operation was pushed out for another week. Then, after the manner of that defeat, for another two weeks. The Monday week after Fermanagh's loss to Kildare, McGrath was successfully operated upon in a Derry hospital. It would only be after he'd won the Ulster Player of the Year award that his summer condition became public.

By then he was trying out with the International Rules team. A few weeks after the operation Anthony Tohill called wondering why he hadn't shown up at any of the trials. The simple truth was Tohill's call was the first he had been told about them, but as he was recovering from the operation, "that suited me the best, especially with me being a bit wary of this scar". The following week McGrath was down in Parnell Park, battling again with Dermot Earley on that field, while learning off it how Earley himself had battled the same form of cancer.

Two weeks ago a wrecked McGrath took a call on his sofa from Sean Boylan. He was only on the standby panel for Australia. It was something of an achievement when neither Earley nor his own countymen Ryan McCluskey and Mark Murphy had made that, but McGrath couldn't help feeling "a bit disappointed", especially when he'd made the team in 2004. Last Thursday at three o'clock though it was Boylan again. Bernard Brogan was staying home to help his club win the county championship. McGrath was heading Down Under.

It meant a frantic 24 hours, getting the passport sent up to Croke Park, securing the visa, getting work to cover for him, all before dashing down to the Citywest for the All Stars. He'll miss Barry Owens' wedding too. On Thursday night Mark Little texted him that Fermanagh were on the look out for a new captain, now that he was going to be missing Owens' big day. McGrath quipped back, "I never liked that boy anyway!" but the truth is no one else in football can empathise with Owens more. Between their heart surgery, Owens' cartilage and cruciate operations, and McGrath's fight with that digger and cancer scare, they've been knocked down time and time again. And yet, they keep coming back, living strong, dying hard. It's the way these two Fermanagh men are. Not nearly men but iron men. Until they win Ulster they won't rest.

"If you look at where we were this time last year, a vast improvement was made in 2008. But at half-time of the Ulster final replay maybe all that talk you'd heard among your own [community] about the wides the first day seeped through and we made Armagh believe they could win more than ourselves. When we again wasted so much possession against Kildare, it wore boys down. But that's something you learn from, to keep playing through those bad patches like we had in earlier games. Maybe if we had that second week we'd have been fresher but we didn't and that's football.

"Boys are looking forward to going back to it a lot more than they were this time last year. I thought we, especially Clucker [McCluskey], should have won an All Star but maybe it's good we didn't because it makes boys hungrier. Fermanagh still isn't recognised yet. We have to get that Ulster title to get that respect."

For now he has two imminent opponents – Australia and cancer. This Irish team mightn't have the flair that the 2004 side did with players like Ciaran McDonald and Brian McGuigan, but it's mobile and strong and in runner Sean Marty Lockhart has a wealth of knowledge about the hybrid game that McGrath hugely values. As for the cancer, he'll go for a check-up every three months for the next year; then, hopefully, every six months. That's all he can do, all he can control.

"This summer it really helped to have the football. It helps you appreciate what you missed. Football has always been there for me. Those other things, sure you always get over them and get on with it."

So don't feel sorry for him. As he'd say himself, it's no big deal. If anything reserve your sympathy for that poor old digger, cancer and Muldoon – and maybe the odd misguided AFL footballer this next fortnight.

kshannon@tribune.ie

Great story. McGrath is some boy
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

ExiledGael

Quote from: FermPundit on October 20, 2008, 04:41:56 PM
Quote from: FermGael on October 20, 2008, 10:46:56 AM
Newtownbutler    0-9   2-2   St. Patricks      

I hear there were quite a few players sent off yesterday. I thought Donagh wouldn't have wanted to get involved in any off the ball stuff with the Ulster Championship against Cross coming up.

Who all was sent off? Maybe it wasn't their choice, know they didn't score in the second half so maybe Newtown came out all guns blazing.
Aaron Kernan was suggesting in the Irish News taday that the Ulster Championship game will be put off a week or two as the second test is two days before they face St Pat's, if that'll make any difference.

KIDDO 4

Roslea defeated EderneyO.11,to O,2 in the Fermanagh division 2 league final last night in Enniskillen.

ExiledGael

Christ Ederney are lost without McGrath.
Know Skea lost to St Pat's today but two points, 2-3 to 1-8 I think. Mark Little sent off late on. Anyone have today's other scores or how the table looks?

wanderer

I heard Coa beat Augher well in the Ulster Junior Club today

FermPundit

Quote from: wanderer on October 26, 2008, 07:14:00 PM
I heard Coa beat Augher well in the Ulster Junior Club today

They did indeed. 2-11 to 0-07. I have to admit I thought Augher would be too strong for them but fair play to Coa. It's good to see any Fermanagh club competing in Ulster at any level.

wanderer

Fermpundit, where you at it? I haven't been chatting anyone who was there yet, who were the standouts for Coa?
They have a few decent players but whether they are good enough for a try at county level would be debatable. Any thoughts?

FermPundit

Quote from: wanderer on October 27, 2008, 08:32:44 PM
Fermpundit, where you at it? I haven't been chatting anyone who was there yet, who were the standouts for Coa?
They have a few decent players but whether they are good enough for a try at county level would be debatable. Any thoughts?

No, didn't great to the game but you're right, Coa do have some decent players. Eoin Donnelly, Lee McQuiad and Cathal Beacom all started for Fermanagh minors two years and Darren McQuaid was on the Fermanagh senior panel this year. What this result does prove is that Coa would be well fit to handle themselves in Senior league Division two. They now play St. John's of Down in the next round who have just won the Down division 4 title. I think the game is in Newry this coming Sunday. I would suggest that Coa have every chance of progressing to the semi finals.

tintin25

Quote from: FermPundit on October 27, 2008, 08:44:48 PM
Quote from: wanderer on October 27, 2008, 08:32:44 PM

No, didn't great to the game but you're right, Coa do have some decent players. Eoin Donnelly, Lee McQuiad and Cathal Beacom all started for Fermanagh minors two years and Darren McQuaid was on the Fermanagh senior panel this year. What this result does prove is that Coa would be well fit to handle themselves in Senior league Division two. They now play St. John's of Down in the next round who have just won the Down division 4 title. I think the game is in Newry this coming Sunday. I would suggest that Coa have every chance of progressing to the semi finals.

Can't say I agree with you Fermpundit....well....not yet anyway. Whilst it was a massive result for them, they are still a couple of years short of progressing to Senior Football. It's one thing recording a victory in a straight knockout Junior championship game but another when competing over a number of weeks against teams with Senior status...though I guess we'll never actually find out until they actually make the leap!  I think that long term, Belanaleck are the Junior team to look out for...they have performed well in the past number of years at youth level.....winning Div 1 titles and 'A' championships at u14/u16 and have challenged at Div 1 Minor level also.  They have arguebly a better youth structure than Coa and Maguiresbridge and this can only pay dividends in years to come...provided the lads keep at it and continue to learn.

FermPundit

QuoteCan't say I agree with you Fermpundit....well....not yet anyway. Whilst it was a massive result for them, they are still a couple of years short of progressing to Senior Football. It's one thing recording a victory in a straight knockout Junior championship game but another when competing over a number of weeks against teams with Senior status...

I know what you mean but at the same time IMO Coa would be on a par with clubs like Aughdrumsee and Derrylin in Division two. My main point is regarding the structure of division two. With Maguiresbridge dropping down to junior level as well it only leaves 7 teams in the division. I think you need at least 8 teams to make it competitive. It has been mentioned here before but my argument would be that the county board should do away with the Erne Cup and create 5 or 6 leagues with reserve sides playing in the top leagues if they are strong enough. I think they use this system in Antrim and Leitrim and I think it would benefit Fermanagh football.

ExiledGael

Know it's usually full of shit but there's a lot of talk on Hoganstand of a brawl in the Newtwon v Gaels match on Sunday?
Anyone at it by any chance?
Looks like Skea and Teemore could be dragged into relegation fight with Donagh.

FermGael

Hear that Blobby has been persuaded.
Can only be good news if its true.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

FermPundit

Quote from: FermGael on October 29, 2008, 06:18:11 PM
Hear that Blobby has been persuaded.
Can only be good news if its true.

Good news two or three years ago but I'm not so sure now. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

The players I think merit a trail are Daniel Kille, Shane O'Brien, Ryan Carson, Paul Cosgrove (injured), Daryl Keenan (injured)

FermGael

Quote from: FermGael on October 29, 2008, 06:18:11 PM

Good news two or three years ago but I'm not so sure now. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

The players I think merit a trail are Daniel Kille, Shane O'Brien, Ryan Carson, Paul Cosgrove (injured), Daryl Keenan (injured)

Completely disagree.  Blobby has been the best club midfielder in the county for the last 2 or 3 years.  Could do a job there for us with Womble gone to Oz or could do a job at Full forward.  If O'Rourke gets him fully fit and focused, then we could have a real star on our hands.

As for the other 4, well they are all worth a shot.  Keenan has real class but seems to be have a nasty habit of picking up bad injuries.
Kille and Cosgrove have got potential and have played well this year. Have not seen enough of O'Brien.

Cassidy is still the best club forward within the county but he is well into his thirties.  Still think he could offer Fermanagh an option in the Full Forward line.
Ciaran O'Reilly should hopefully return as well with a clean bill of health which should help sort out our free taking problems.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered