Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Erne Gael

Yes the Impartial's website is of excellent quality and very easy to navigate. The Herald's is a bit all over the place and can sometimes be hard to find what you are looking for. You can subscribe to look at the full edition online, which would be good for people not at home, does anyone do this? Don't think the Fermanagh News has a website, maybe it does, I just have never seen it.

Do you think another paper could survive in the county? Perhaps a Tuesday paper could do well if people were prepared to buy it if it was of good quality. I'm sure the Herald wouldn't be happy if a Tuesday paper nipped in and stole their early week glory with reports of matches from the previous weekend etc! The Impartial doesn't seem to be affected by the Herald being out the day before and produces some good sports stories, although you could say they have a day extra to get them. The Fermanagh News does have match reports from the previous weekend but they also do previews of the club games at the weekend which the others sometimes don't and which makes them slightly different.

Added a new poll at the top regarding the new Summer League. The poll on who you would rather face in Ulster Final finished with Armagh 4 votes and Down 5 votes. Majority lost! By the way is there only a total of 9 Fermanagh people on the board?

ExiledGael

Certainly not many more than that registered anyway. Few lurkers I'd say.
Might get a few coming out of the woodwork in the next few weeks.

FermPundit

With regards the summer league it's a good idea in theory but it'll be a complete waste of time IMO. Remember the shield from 2004? It was a complete shambles. I see the first games take place this Thursday night. That will really suit the guys working in Belfast or Dublin. I'm not having a go at the county board by the way. They're trying their best to accomodate all club players but in reality all games won't be taken seriously unless the county men are available. I think they had similar problems in Tyrone. They created a new league cup competition but I know of one club who withdrew from the competiton before it had even began. I suppose with the county team doing well not too many people will have a keen eye on club football for the next 4 weeks anyway.

Quote from: ExiledGael on July 01, 2008, 05:39:08 PM
Certainly not many more than that registered anyway. Few lurkers I'd say.
Might get a few coming out of the woodwork in the next few weeks.

There's definitely a lot more Fermanagh folk floating about the board these last few months. When I first joined I can only think of 4 or 5 other Fermanagh posters. I suppose it's the responsibility of all registered members to try and keep the Fermanagh thread going. Its the only place to discuss all local GAA matters given that the Hogan Stand (Fermanagh message board) has fallen away badly in the last few months.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

ExiledGael

Ay numbers seem to be up slightly here.
Has the changes in Hoganstand's layout and registering killed off the local discussions (if that's what you could call them)?

FermPundit

Quote from: ExiledGael on July 01, 2008, 07:14:06 PM
Ay numbers seem to be up slightly here.
Has the changes in Hoganstand's layout and registering killed off the local discussions (if that's what you could call them)?

Yep, the number of posts on the Fermanagh message board has decreased to about one or two daily. Its not like we're missing any intelligent discussion but it was a useful enough source of information regarding fixtures and results. It appears people are reluctant to register accounts to participate in GAA discussion. I can't think of any reason to explain this.

Erne Gael

How is everyone treating the Summer League? Any word of any clubs pulling out?

Saw a couple of results so far, Newtownbutler putting up some big scores while Enniskillen have lost both their games including a hammering yesterday to I think Ederney!! What is going on there?

tintin25

Quote from: Erne Gael on July 07, 2008, 10:24:18 PM
How is everyone treating the Summer League? Any word of any clubs pulling out?

Saw a couple of results so far, Newtownbutler putting up some big scores while Enniskillen have lost both their games including a hammering yesterday to I think Ederney!! What is going on there?

Think most of the Gaels players where at a wedding so no doubt they fielded a 2nd string side. IMO the Summer league won't be taken seriousley as already seen by the number of teams dropping out. Fella's would be more concerned with using the wkends to head out on the rip rather than commit to a Competition the County board put together in a couple of hours!

Erne Gael

Quote from: tintin25 on July 08, 2008, 12:16:09 PM

as already seen by the number of teams dropping out

Who all has pulled out?

tintin25

Coa have pulled out along with Belcoo......heard the Gaels had as well but maybe they are fielding their Junior sides or something! Tempo v Kinawley match on Sunday was 13 aside....says it all really.

Erne Gael

Quote from: tintin25 on July 08, 2008, 12:54:30 PM
Tempo v Kinawley match on Sunday was 13 aside

Could the teams not field 15? who won that game, any good?

I thought Enniskillen would have a good junior team, even good enough to compete with most teams in the Summer competition?

FermPundit

Ulster Ladies intermediate champions

Fermanagh 1-10 Cavan 1-08

AidyMac

Quote from: tintin25 on July 08, 2008, 12:54:30 PM
Coa have pulled out along with Belcoo......heard the Gaels had as well but maybe they are fielding their Junior sides or something! Tempo v Kinawley match on Sunday was 13 aside....says it all really.

Don't think Belcoo have pulled out.  As far as I know, Coa pulled out thats why they had no game on Sunday, and they are playing Kinawley on Friday night.

What about Glentoran pulling the pin on McCabe after the final?  Hopefully will bow out with a medal in his back pocket

wanderer

Shame about McCabe, looking like the footballer he was at underage recently, but if he hits the winning score I'd start supporting Glentoran!

On another subject, is anyone else surprised how quickly the mood has turned againest Fermanagh on these boards? I don't want to start a debate on the local thread, but you darn't write anything positive on the other threads or you'll have 4 pages of bitterness to read & respond to.

ExiledGael

As one of our brethren noted it's possibly a surer sign than any that we really have arrived!

Apart from one or two winding up and maybe one genuinely bitter one I still think we'll have the backing of the entire GAAboard & country outside the orchard. What that's worth I'm not sure.

wanderer

Come throw in it'll be worthless, but have to say that I haven't seen this Fermanagh team that is destroying GAA! We haven't won a thing, you'd think they would at least win something first bfore the jealously starts ;)