Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

tintin25

Disappointing result in the end up today. I thought we shaded matters during the first 70 mins but conceded two sloppy goals in the first half and were always chasing the game thereafter. Did well to bring it to extra-time and at this stage I thought we'd come good in but the third goal gave Wexford another injection and they deservedly won in the end.

As I said the goals were disappointing and I think we've got problems in the full-back line. Murphy defo won't be starting come Championship, looked very suspect under the high ball (At fault for third goal), gave away penalty and doesn't seem to have the aerial ability or presence of Breen/Gallagher. I would probably go for Gallagher for the Monaghan match as he's better under the high ball....I reckon from seeing this that Monaghan will look to exploit us here pumping high balls into Corey. D O' Reilly is alright for McKenna cup standard but not a league final/Championship.....Brady too is frustrating...gets involved in silly afters. Thought Sherry in the other corner was ok. Half back line was decent but the Wexford number 14 did some serious damage....he seemed to be playing around the half-forward line? Need to tighten up on the marking here but T McElroy impressed me when he was on the ball. Wexford won a good share of midfield ball but we improved when Murphy when in there whom I thought had a great match BTW...made some great catches and hit some scores. Mcgrath and McDermott were ok. R Keenan had his best game in ahwile, seems to have shed a few pounds, was always available for possesion and took some important scores. C McElroy and Maguire faded in 2nd half after playing decent in first. Not sure about M Keenan though, didn't do enough for me to merit Championship start. J Sherry mixed the good with the bad...some terrible passes at times.

All in all, I thought at times we played some good stuff but defo need to tighten up that defense.

Gold

That keeper is useless--was like a comedy keeper giving that penalty away--not to mention the 3rd goal when he dropped an unchallenged ball coming in--he was like david james after coming for balls--he shud have been took off--O'Rourke should have made the hard call after the dodgy penalty he gave away.

Mark Murphy was brilliant--awesome catching, strength and engiene. Man of the match.

Brewster slows the game down and is not suited to fermanagh's all action fast football--he also has to take all free-kicks a la David Beckham for England--he had his days in the early 2000's and should not get a game now.

McBarron is worse than useless--he gives away lazy frees by pushing people in the back and couldnt kick a point to save himself. Kieran Donaghy he aint.

Disapointed for fermanagh today--bar the dodgy keeper they would have got their hands  on some very welcome silverwere
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

FermPundit

Just back from Dublin and I have to admit I'm disappointed that we're not celebrating the division 3 title but in fairness Wexford were probably the better more consistent team today and they were worthy winners. Whilst I know some players made individual errors today I'm not going to be too critical of any player. No one goes out to make mistakes. It was just one of those days. Fermanagh showed great heart and determination to come back into the game which was pleasing to see again today. I think the main difference between the teams today was Mattie Forde. How Fermanagh would love to have a player who is guranteed to get 5 or 6 points a game. At times Fermanagh have to work twice as hard as other counties to get their scores. The Fermanagh full back line struggled today but this is hardly surprising given the absence of Barry Owens and Shane Goan. Mark Murphy was simply outstanding again today. What a player he is turning out to be. He's probably up there with the best midfielders in Ulster. In the forward line Eamon Maguire and Ryan Keenan did well and James Sherry did ok in patches. Overall it was probably Fermanagh's worst performance so far this year but I'm still optimistic that we can do well this summer. We'll have to tighten up our defence and our forwards need to try and get more scores. Murphy has to start at midfield and I think James Sherry will partner him. O'Rourke hasn't really settled on our forward line so places are still up for grabs. If I was picking my championship team tonight based on league performances this is the team I would select.

Breen
Goan
Lyons
P. Sherry
McElroy
McCluskey
Kelly
Murphy
J. Sherry
C. McElroy
M. Keenan
Little
R. Keenan
McGrath
Maguire
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Fermanaghandsam

Very disappointed, but don't think a defeat will do them any harm, hopefully it will motivate them to come back even stronger. The 3 goals were very disappointing, the first was mis-read by o'reilly and his man floated in between him for an easy goal, decky was having a good year for fermanagh too, but think he may have played himself out of the championship team. The 2nd goal was a dropped ball from frog (i think), very disappointing goal to give away, a basic error. I just dont think there is any room for shane in the team any more, i thought he was poor enough today again. Fergal made a big mistake for the last goal, but 1 bad day at the office does not make him a bad keeper, and I am sure he will be back stronger than ever again, but I doubt it will be this year. Overall however I was reasonably happy with the performance and def think we have a good chance against Monaghan. Womble was outstanding. My team would be

Breen
Sherry
Lyons
Goan
McElroy
Clucker
Kelly
Womble
Marty
McElroy
Mattie Kennan (very lucky to make it)
Ryan keenan
Eamon
Sherry
Little

FermPundit

Fair assessment FAS. Fergal Murphy is very good goalkeeper and anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't seen play over the last few seasons. He made mistakes today but who hasn't? I wouldn't disagree with the personnel you have selected but I don't think James Sherry is most effective at full forward. If he doesn't play midfield his next best position is CH forward. Marty at centre field is fair enough but I would put him on the edge of the square. I would also swap Eamon Maguire and Ryan Keenan  abut. Eamon is more effective roaming about the half forward line. McDermott was poor enough but I woudn't be surprised if O'Rourke keeps faith with him at midfield come championship time.

Fermanaghandsam

I too think Shane will prob start, the last team i picked was my selection, the team that i think o'rouke will actually pick is:

Gallagher
Sherry
Lyons
Goan
McElroy
Clucker
Kelly
Womble
Shane
McElroy
Sherry
Ryan Keenan
Mattie Keenan
Marty
Eamon

I think Little may miss out come the monaghan game, i also would not be surprised if tom brew gets a start come may, we badly need a reliable free taker!!!

tintin25

Quote from: FermPundit on April 27, 2008, 09:58:34 PM
Fair assessment FAS. Fergal Murphy is very good goalkeeper and anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't seen play over the last few seasons. He made mistakes today but who hasn't? I wouldn't disagree with the personnel you have selected but I don't think James Sherry is most effective at full forward. If he doesn't play midfield his next best position is CH forward. Marty at centre field is fair enough but I would put him on the edge of the square. I would also swap Eamon Maguire and Ryan Keenan  abut. Eamon is more effective roaming about the half forward line. McDermott was poor enough but I woudn't be surprised if O'Rourke keeps faith with him at midfield come championship time.

No-one is argueing that he isn't a good Goalkeeper but he's obviousley going to be behind Gallagher/Breen in the pecking order now. Curious to know what the situation was with the Goalkeeepr rotation anyway? I understand doing it for league games/McKenna cup but for a National Final? I dunno...maybe Murphy started on merit as up to that point he had impressed the most.

I think M Keenan will be lucky to start come Championship. Great at taking a score but workrate wouldn't be the greatest. Womble is defo turning out to be some footballer...some catch!

ExiledGael

Womble was outstanding yesterday alright. Certain midfielder for the summer now. Don't think McGrath will partner him though, one of McBarron/Frog or Sherry depending on the opposition. Marty will be in at 14 and Keenan probably done enough yesterday to get his place.
Very disappointed with the defence and goalkeeping. Fancy Gallagher to get it now given the high ball suspicions about the full-back line. Really miss Owens in there and Shane Goan, Peter Sherry was better yesterday but still hoofs the ball to the opposition far too much. Seen Owens out with the team on Sunday though not kitted out. Heard he's back doing a bit of training again and could return for our second game of the year, anyone hear anything else?
Pity to see McCluskey being called back to mark Forde, as Bradley showed O'Se after, doesn't matter how good you are at defending, if the ball's coming in constantly and you've no shield in front top forwards now need no real space at all to take a score.
Agree with the Model Hammer elsewhere though, we learned an awful lot yesterday and know exactlky where we need to work on now for Monaghan. Yesterday has definitely not dampened my expectations for Brewster. Would certainly expect Lyons to start then at full-back with Monaghan certain now to start Corey in at full-forward.
Matty Keenan done himself no favours yesterday and he didn't stay on the pitch when the rest of the team went into a huddle after the game, he was the only one to head straight for changing rooms.
Probably looking at,
Ronan Gallagher
Shane Goan
Shane Lyons
Peter Sherry
Tommy McElroy
Ryan McCluskey
Damien Kelly
Mark Murphy
Shane McDermott
Mark Little
James Sherry
Tom Brewster
Eamon Maguire
Martin McGrath
Ryan Keenan

Ciaran McElroy could come in for Brewster depending on his fitness, or maybe put James Sherry to midfield but don't think he's ignorant enough for in there, especially against Clerkin/Lennon. No harm in Little being dropped lately, he neede a bit of a kick to waken him up but think O'Rourke will start him come Championship.

tintin25

Would pretty much agree with that team Exiled. Think we defo need Little come the Monaghan game and whilst McElroy hasn't done much wrong, Brewster is always handy for the frees.

FermGael

QuoteMatty Keenan done himself no favours yesterday and he didn't stay on the pitch when the rest of the team went into a huddle after the game, he was the only one to head straight for changing rooms
Think you got the wrong Keenan.  Is was his brother Niall as far as i know.
Team that i would start against Monaghan

Chrissy Breen
Shane Goan
Shane Lyons
Peter Sherry
Tommy McElroy
Ryan McCluskey
Damien Kelly
Mark Murphy
Liam McBarron
Matty Keenan
James Sherry
Ryan Keenan
Eamon Maguire
Martin McGrath
Pat Cadden

Firstly if the last game demonstarted anything it was that McDermott is not a county standard midfielder.  He was out caught time and again, and only for the super human efforts of Mark Murphy we would have been destroyed in that sector.  He brought us back from the dead nearly on his own
McBarron would be a better foil for Murphy because he would at the worst, stop the other Monaghan midfielder from playing. 
Still feel that McCluskey might end up in the corner against Monaghan because i cannot see anybody else beng able to contain Freeman but he is our best CHB, no question.  Full back is a worry, especially with Corey on the edge of the square but Lyons has done enough in the League campaign to be given his chance.
Up front i would start Tom Brewster but it would depend on his match fitness.  This game might come abit soon for him.  O'Rourke seems to like the look of M Keenan and he is our highest scoring forward this year.  I think he deserves his starting place.
Lyttle has been extremely disappointing this year and on current form, does not deserve a staring place.  R Keenans performance against wexford means that he has played himself into the starting line up.
I feel that Cadden, if fit, could be  a real threat because he will have that unknown quality about him and him and Maguire seen to have a good understanding. 
Marty at FF means that we can rotate the midfield and still have a genuine target man up there.  As was demonstarted by the Wexford game, sometine good quality high ball is an extremely effective weapon, especially wth the small, nippy corner forwards we are going to have.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

FermPundit

Good enough merits for that team FermGael. McBarron wouldn't start on current form but if there was ever a man who would hassle, annoy and frustrate the opposition's midfield, it's Liam McBarron. The full back line is a real concern. Reading the comments of the Monaghan posters on other threads they are hoping to take advantage of Fermanagh weakness under the high ball. After Sunday's performance I think Shane Lyons will get the nod at full back and the experience of Shane Goan should help us tighten up things as well.

haranguerer

Lets get this party started...from aertel, so sue rte for errors, not me...

Division 1
Lisnaskea          0-10   2-08   Teemore
Belcoo             0-10   0-09   Tempo
Devenish         1-11   0-09   Brookeboro
St Patricks       0-08   0-13   Enniskillen
Derrygonnelly   1-06   1-07   Newtownbutler

Division 2
Aughadumsee   0-07   5-08   Derrylin
Roslea              0-15   2-08   Erne gaels
St Josephs        2-10   3-09   Irvinestown

Just casting an eye down them, no major shocks. Erne Gaels v close to Roslea - they were fancied to walk div 2, mebbe believed it themselves. Another point, which is strongly related to our intercounty problems - v low scoring games, most of them. In honour of all the stats creeping into gaa, i've done my own: winning teams scored on average 12 scores. Bad forwards? Or good backs? :-\
Any match reports, comments?

KIDDO 4

Domnic certainly working well so far , great victory for Enniskillen  havenbeen 7 to 4 adrift at the  break ,Derrygonnelly next on the list  next Friday  night first game  for the recently upgraded Brewster Park,

ExiledGael

Quote from: haranguerer on May 04, 2008, 09:47:45 PM
Lets get this party started...from aertel, so sue rte for errors, not me...

Division 1
Lisnaskea          0-10   2-08   Teemore
Belcoo             0-10   0-09   Tempo
Devenish         1-11   0-09   Brookeboro
St Patricks       0-08   0-13   Enniskillen
Derrygonnelly   1-06   1-07   Newtownbutler

Division 2
Aughadumsee   0-07   5-08   Derrylin
Roslea              0-15   2-08   Erne gaels
St Josephs        2-10   3-09   Irvinestown

Just casting an eye down them, no major shocks. Erne Gaels v close to Roslea - they were fancied to walk div 2, mebbe believed it themselves. Another point, which is strongly related to our intercounty problems - v low scoring games, most of them. In honour of all the stats creeping into gaa, i've done my own: winning teams scored on average 12 scores. Bad forwards? Or good backs? :-\
Any match reports, comments?

Predictable scorelines there. Looks like the same faces will be facing a relegation battle again this year.
Has to be bad forwards though, especially on a good weekend weather wise. All the games this evening would have been in good conditions. Maybe it's a slight mix of both, but can't understand why we aren't producing any powerful scoring forwards, or weak scoring forwards for that matter.

FermPundit

Encouraging performance from the Gaels yesterday. There seems to be a new attitude this year among the players and management alike. In previous seasons they would have folded when 3 points down at half time but they improved greatly in the second half outscoring Donagh 8 points to 1. Clucker played the whole game at midfield and did very well. Eamon Maguire was unreal in the first 30 mins but St Pat's are far too reliant on him and they might struggle this year, although they were missing McDermott and Pat Cadden so there's hope for them yet.

All the games were pretty low scoring. Although the weather was perfect for football the fact it was the first game of the season, many players are likely to have made mistakes. A few surprises yesterday in division one. I would have thought Skea would have beaten Teemore at home under the new management of Pat King and Derrygonnelly are usually pretty strong at home as well. In division two I'm not surprised that Erne Gaels gave Roslea a tough test. I've heard they've been going very well this year. Division two only has 7 teams this year given that the Bridge have dropped back down to junior level. As a result Kinawley had a bye yesterday.