Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

inisceithleann

Quote from: FermPundit on July 30, 2007, 05:56:19 PM
I attended all the quarter finals yesterday. I wasn't that surprised that Brookeboro beat Skea. Skea have been really poor in the league recently whereas Brookeboro altough playing in div 2 have been winning games and have built up a good bit of confidence. They'll go into the NTB game as underdogs. They are a phsycially strong side and some really good footballers including Gerard Woods, Paddy Mohan, Tommy McElroy and Niall Rooney.

The Gaels were shocking poor yesterday. 2 points after 50 mins of football is terrible and it wasn't like they were creating many scoring opportunties. Derrygonnelly kicked the game away and I'm sure the were feeling sick last night. I fancy the Gaels the win the replay on friday though.  They couldn't play as badly again and I reckon the Harps have missed the boat.

Teemore won well last night without being overly impressive. The two early goals they got set them up for a comfortable victory. Tempo are a good footballing side but they lack physcial presence in many areas of the field. Although they lost I don't think they would have been too disappointed. They are a good young side and they'll be a force in Fermanagh football in a couple of years time.

I'd have to fancy Tempo in the minor final. From what I heard Kinawley were't great against Enniskillen although you never know in a final. Regardless if they win or lose it's a great achievement for a small club like Kinawley to get to a minor A final.

This has got to be the most open senior championship in years, any of the teams left have a realistic chance of winning, and i wouldn't neccessaily say that derrygonnelly have missed the boat but you would expect the Gaels to up their game in the replay.

It'd be great to see Kinawley win the minor championship, and i must congratulate the Brian Boru's on hosting the games yesterday. The pitch was in great condition and the club should get more games in my opinion.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

SuperHans

Lads your defence seemed to play fairly well throughout the year.Would you not throw Clucker into the forward line? Does he not play there for the Gaels the odd time?

inisceithleann

Quote from: SuperHans on August 01, 2007, 04:49:53 PM
Lads your defence seemed to play fairly well throughout the year.Would you not throw Clucker into the forward line? Does he not play there for the Gaels the odd time?

Clucker lined out at corner forward in last years championship. He's currently injured, but when he comes back, and if we beat derrygonnelly he could play there again but may play at midfield.

DirtyDozen12

Anyone know waht the problem is with Lisnaskea seniors??  I always keep an eye on the Fermanagh club football and Skea seem to win a lot at underage level but they badly under-perform at senior level.   As the second biggest town in th county you would figure they would give the championship a better run.  Knocked out in two successive years by division 2 teams is not acceptable for a high profile division 1 team you would imagine.
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

ExiledGael

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on August 02, 2007, 05:57:45 PM
Anyone know waht the problem is with Lisnaskea seniors??  I always keep an eye on the Fermanagh club football and Skea seem to win a lot at underage level but they badly under-perform at senior level.   As the second biggest town in th county you would figure they would give the championship a better run.  Knocked out in two successive years by division 2 teams is not acceptable for a high profile division 1 team you would imagine.

Skea have a seriously young side so would expect them to re-emerge in a few years, especially when Daniel Kille gets to a decent age, he scored ten points v Down in Ulster u-21 Championship.
Don't know where they've went wrong, but they haven't been a force almost since Collie Curran hung up the boots

inisceithleann

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on August 02, 2007, 05:57:45 PM
Anyone know waht the problem is with Lisnaskea seniors??  I always keep an eye on the Fermanagh club football and Skea seem to win a lot at underage level but they badly under-perform at senior level.   As the second biggest town in th county you would figure they would give the championship a better run.  Knocked out in two successive years by division 2 teams is not acceptable for a high profile division 1 team you would imagine.

I stood watching the Skea match with a fella from Skea and the two of us were discussing the demise of the club at senior level. They haven't been that prolific at underage level, with Derrygonnelly, Tempo and Belcoo being more dominant than the Emmetts in the last few years. I suppose the team is quite young but on sunday the team seemed to lack any real motivation.

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: inisceithleann on August 02, 2007, 07:29:30 PM
I stood watching the Skea match with a fella from Skea and the two of us were discussing the demise of the club at senior level. They haven't been that prolific at underage level, with Derrygonnelly, Tempo and Belcoo being more dominant than the Emmetts in the last few years. I suppose the team is quite young but on sunday the team seemed to lack any real motivation.

They had a very good minor team about 2 years ago I think, they won the Fermanagh championship and done well in Ulster beating the likes of Carrickmore.  i have seen kille in action and he is a very good player.  What where Mark and Aidan Little like in the championship against Brookeborugh?  Does Mark perform as well for Skea as he does for Fermanagh?

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: SuperHans on August 01, 2007, 04:49:53 PM

Fully agree with this, Fermanagh can never be accused of conceding much, i believe they have onof the best defences in the country, honestly.  Their real probelm is in the forward line, they need a player like Paddy Bradley who is good for about 3-4 points a game.  In championship matches over this past 4-5 years, bar Tyrone AI quarter final, Fermanagh have never been beaten by more than 4 or 5 points. 

inisceithleann

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on August 03, 2007, 01:50:17 PM

They had a very good minor team about 2 years ago I think, they won the Fermanagh championship and done well in Ulster beating the likes of Carrickmore.  i have seen kille in action and he is a very good player.  What where Mark and Aidan Little like in the championship against Brookeborugh?  Does Mark perform as well for Skea as he does for Fermanagh?

I've only seen Mark Little twice this year playing for Skea and he didn't play up to his inter county potential in either game. In fairness to him I think ke knows that the team is poor at the minute and he almost was going through the motions. If anyone watched the 4 quarter finals last weekend you'd find it very difficult to pick out the county men, the standard was that poor. I'd say at club level, Fermanagh is probably the poorest standard in Ulster at the minute.

ExiledGael

Quote from: inisceithleann on August 03, 2007, 02:12:44 PM
Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on August 03, 2007, 01:50:17 PM

I've only seen Mark Little twice this year playing for Skea and he didn't play up to his inter county potential in either game. In fairness to him I think ke knows that the team is poor at the minute and he almost was going through the motions. If anyone watched the 4 quarter finals last weekend you'd find it very difficult to pick out the county men, the standard was that poor. I'd say at club level, Fermanagh is probably the poorest standard in Ulster at the minute.

Think your right about that, Gaels are in transition, and will be for a while in my opinion, with the rest unable to step up to the mark.
Thought Newtown or Teemore would fill the hole left by the Gaels but looks like they are incapable.
Derrygonnelly though seem to have done well at underage level in recent years

mark never plays for Skea like he does for Fermanagh, God knows the Skea boys shout that often enough, but it's not his style to be an on'field leader or grab a game by the scruff of the neck

inisceithleann

Quinn Direct SFC Quarter Final Replay Result
Derrygonelly 2-08 Enniskillen 0-10

Enniskillen were dumped out of the senior championship tonight by derrygonnelly. Derrygonnelly took an early lead through a johnny mcgurn penalty, with the gaels responding with points from colm bradley, christy murphy and ronan mccabe. The harps were reduced to 14 men after 15 mins with former county man paul greene getting the line for flooring paul brewster. The sides went in at half time level at 1-03 to 0-6. The gaels never got going in the second half and a harshly awarded penalty was duly dispatched again by johnny mcgurn. McGurn and kevin mcgrath tagged on further points that set the side up for the victory. Derrygonnelly's paul ward was the torment in chief for the harps and thoroughly deserved the man of the match award. His pace and accuracy was something the gaels failed to cope with. Tom Brewster's frees and a point from Paul Gunn kept the Gaels in touch but they could never close the 0-4 gap and the harps fully deserved their victory.

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: inisceithleann on August 03, 2007, 09:33:41 PM

Would this be considered a shock result in Fermanagh?  Have the semi-final games been decided?if so who plays who?

inisceithleann

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on August 03, 2007, 09:47:38 PM
Quote from: inisceithleann on August 03, 2007, 09:33:41 PM

Would this be considered a shock result in Fermanagh?  Have the semi-final games been decided?if so who plays who?

To be honest this would have been a shock 5 years ago, but the Gaels have been poor the last few years and it could be the end of the road for the team that dominated Fermanagh for the last decade, but heres hoping not. :D

Semi final draw was made last sunday:

Teemore Shamrocks V Derrygonnelly Harps
Brookeboro Heber MacMahons V Newtownbutler First Fermanaghs

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: inisceithleann on August 03, 2007, 10:01:01 PM
Semi final draw was made last sunday:

Teemore Shamrocks V Derrygonnelly Harps
Brookeboro Heber MacMahons V Newtownbutler First Fermanaghs

Who do you fancy for the title??  You would think that NTB are already in the final?? :P

inisceithleann

Don't rule out Brookeboro they have some good players, with tommy mcelroy and kieran donnelly being their man players. But you'd expect Newtown even without ryan carson (out injured) to come through.

Teemore will be pushed by derrygonnelly, but the harps are over reliant on paul ward and he'll be well shackled by hughie brady. Teemore have real quality and with barry owens and ciaran o'reilly on the team you'd expect them to make the final.