Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

inisceithleann

I think the manager has to come from outside the county. I think it helps to bring someone in who doesn't know a lot of the players personally and can bring fresh ideas. Furthermore it should remove the possibility of the manager not picking people from certain clubs etc, which there is always the possibility of. How big a manager would be willing to take Fermanagh on? If Joe Kernan leaves Armagh any chance he'd take it? Mickey Moran and John Morrison as co-managers?? As for Charlie Mulgrew, no doubt he has brought Fermanagh forward but he still made to many errors as manager. I know it's a matter of opinion but I never felt he picked his best 15 on match days. Shaun Doc should have started a lot more and McBarron was never fit enough for championship football this year. James Sherry should have started with Murphy in midfield as he always ended up there anyway. I hope the new manager brings a few new faces into the panel. There's a lot of good talent out there, Shane McAloon, Mattie Keenan for example.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Tempoman

I cant think of anybody within the county who id give the job to. John O'neil has been in the backroom for a while but hasnt done anything on his own, from what i hear sean maguire didnt have control over the minors.
I'd like to see malachy o'rouke given a go at it. He done some great work with st joe's, and had a good spell in tyrone club football.
Lets hope they have someone on board by Novemeber

inisceithleann

Quote from: Tempoman on July 17, 2007, 03:13:20 PM

I'd like to see malachy o'rouke given a go at it. He done some great work with st joe's, and had a good spell in tyrone club football.

If there's anyone within the county i'd give it to it'd be malachy o'rourke. A real nice fella by all accounts and I think he'd have the full support of all the players and clubs. Whoever takes it, things have to improve. One win in 53 weeks of football is a disgrace. I think we should give the McKenna cup a real rattle next year. We need experience winning again on a frequent basis. At least we're playing in an appropriate level in the NFL. No point losing every week in Div 1.

tintin25

I think O'Rourke would be a good choice. He's a Fermanagh man and has experience with Loup and Errigal Ciarran. We'll just have to wait and c however. Big shock in the Minor Champ last night, with Kinawley beating Enniskillen. Heard they deserved to win though and only for some terrible refereeing decisions that they would have won by more.

inisceithleann

Quote from: tintin25 on July 19, 2007, 11:40:00 AM
I think O'Rourke would be a good choice. He's a Fermanagh man and has experience with Loup and Errigal Ciarran. We'll just have to wait and c however. Big shock in the Minor Champ last night, with Kinawley beating Enniskillen. Heard they deserved to win though and only for some terrible refereeing decisions that they would have won by more.

Took a spin out to Derrylin last night to watch kinawley v gaels match. I don't know who gave you a breakdown of the game but there wasn't a lot between the teams. Kinawley's best player was Tomás Corrigan and himself and Conal Smyth had a right battle the whole game. Who won the other semi? I'd expect Belcoo or Tempo to beat Kinawley, they're far too reliant on Corrigan. The ref by the way did pretty well i thought. He was Martin McBrien's young son and did very well. Of course he made a few errors but this wasn't helped by at least 3 Kinawley mentors charging on to the pitch and roaring the head of him when he gave a decision against them. They were well out of order, even if he had got the decision wrong.

tintin25

Tempo won the other semi-final I think. They look strong this year. Yeah, Corrigan is the main man but sure regardless of what team he played for they would prob be a little over reliant on him. I just heard from sources that the ref was poor (Although, they did come from Kinawley folk so they prob slightly biased). Apparently there was one incident were Corrigan was blatantly fouled, it should have been a pen/free and the ref gave a free out?? Neways, hopefully they can give Tempo a run for their money as they seem to have a stranglehold on the underage scene in Fermanagh at the mo!

inisceithleann

I know the incident you are talking about and yeah Corrigan was fouled but sure the ref is only finding his feet and is only a young fella, he's going make mistakes. Yeah Tempo are the driving force in underage football but they don't seem to make any real head way at senior level despite this success. Kinawley will give them a game alright but they'll probably double up on Corrigan and I didn't see any other scoring threat from the other forwards. Disappointing loss for the gaels, they were 2 up with 7 mins to go. We haven't won a minor championship I think since McCluskey, Bradley and McCabe were that age, and that's 9 years ago as far as I remember.

tintin25

Aye, I'd say that was a game the Gaels expected to win. Never easy for the townies to accept defeat to the 'munchies'. Lol. Yeah, Tempo defo have some good players esp in the backline. To be honest, the reason why Kinawley were prob more upset at the referee was that he was from neighbouring Derrylin too. Alwasy gonna get conspiracing theories thrown into the mix!! As for mentors etc running onto the pitch...this is Kinawley we're talking about!! It's a common occurence with them!! Lol. Very passionate about their club! Senior Champ should be competitve this year. I'd always fancy the Gaels but think it's wide open this year to be honest!

inisceithleann

The Gaels have the strongest team in the county on paper. Don't read much into league form, the Gaels haven't fielded a full team in the league all year. With fermanagh team out early this year it should make the county championship even more appealing. The Gaels V Derrygonnelly match will be a cracking contest. No love lost between those two :)
St. Pat's V Newtown another interesting tie, a real derby tussle. Potential to turn into a kicking match though. I hope not. Two good sides. Newtown could be the biggest threat to the Gaels this year.

tintin25

Well, got 2 rounds of League action over the wkend with some interesting results! The Gaels whipped by NTB but they got a precious away win against Teemore on Sunday. I hear they had the 2 Keenans sent off? Can you confirm this Enniskillen lad? How long they get? Big loss for the championship. Alot of sides in Div 1 were winning a game and then losing a game. Belcoo still in the hunt for league honours and it looks to be between Enniskillen, St.Pats, Roslea and Teemore to join the Shams in Div 2. Brookboro shocked Tempo and that has thrown Div wide open but you would expect Tempo to win their games in hand and take top spot.

inisceithleann

Quote from: tintin25 on July 23, 2007, 11:59:08 AM
Well, got 2 rounds of League action over the wkend with some interesting results! The Gaels whipped by NTB but they got a precious away win against Teemore on Sunday. I hear they had the 2 Keenans sent off? Can you confirm this Enniskillen lad? How long they get? Big loss for the championship. Alot of sides in Div 1 were winning a game and then losing a game. Belcoo still in the hunt for league honours and it looks to be between Enniskillen, St.Pats, Roslea and Teemore to join the Shams in Div 2. Brookboro shocked Tempo and that has thrown Div wide open but you would expect Tempo to win their games in hand and take top spot.

yeah the two keenans were sent off against Newtown, but i think niall got 2 yellows so will be available against derrygonnelly this weekend. great win against teemore, another couple of wins and i think the gaels will be safe.

ExiledGael

Looks like Malachy O'Rourke is the front-runner for the big job? anyone heard any real alternatives.
Culbert's being mentioned a lot, but I don't think there's any truth in it, think he came to the county for a fixture of cash and a club friend.
Mickey Moran mentioned also on Hoganstand etc but can't see it.
Hope it's not John O'Neill or anyone who has done the job before or been in the background

Tempoman

Its interesting the Culberts name is being mentioned. Maybe he went to donagh with the view of taking the fermanagh job. I must admit i was very surprised when i heard he had taken the job with st pats.

Big weekend for the championship.
I would fancy tempo against teemore, might lose the physical battle, but theres plenty of nippy players in there.

The gaels will lift it for the championship, and especially against old rivals the harps

I think the tie of the round is st pat v newtown, local pride at stake. I think newtown will take it.

Skea v b'boro - although b'boro beat tempo last week i think skea will have too much for them.

Having said that my predictions arent usually worth a sh*te, and all the teams i have tipped will probably lose!!!

inisceithleann

I can't see culbert being in the running. he did nothing with antrim, and he's probably only in donagh for the money or doing a favour to someone.

Tempoman, I'd say you're not far wrong with your predictions. Tempo have a good chance against Teemore, who have really struggled this year. O'Reilly and Owens only played 10 mins against the Gaels. I'd say they were just rested, and if both are fit you'd have to fancy Teemore, but i'd be great to see another club like Tempo making a break through. I really thought i'd be Belcoo this this year.

inisceithleann

anyone at the donagh v newtown match tonight in skea. heard on the radio that it was 2 points each just before half time. seemed to be very low scoring. by the way fermanagh must be worst represented county on this board, there only seems to be about 5 or 6 of us that actually post anything.