Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NatSoSaff

Hard to disagree DK. What are peoples thoughts going into the Armagh game then in terms of a starting 15? For me the problem areas for us will be at 3 and 6. I think these 2 areas are where we need to find diamonds in the rough or convert existing squad members longer term. I don't want to discredit the lads who have played in those positions to date in the league, but I think Armagh in an Ulster championship is a different animal to a division 4 match against a Waterford or Sligo. Could McKeever play 6 if McCann or Shivers come into midfield next season? Could Mick McCann dictate a game from centre half back perhaps? Would Paddy McBride suit it? I wouldn't mind seeing how any of those worked out if given the chance. But as for full back I'm not sure what the answer is. McAuley has worked well at corner back in my opinion, however for Armagh I wouldn't object to seeing him back at 6 with maybe McCormick in at corner back. There is still a rawness to him but pace and aggression he certainly does not lack and both will be required against a fit and powerful Armagh side.

asaffgael

Agree with you totally NSS especially with the two O'Neills lining up directly in them positions. Both physically strong and quick.

The whole Armagh forward line will be hard to match up with the pace they have but again they are a Div 1 team and that's what is out there. Up to our boys to match it.

imtommygunn

Them O'Neills are great footballers. I like to see them play against other counties but not so sure about our own lol.

bannside

If we get our line ups right and don't go too gung ho going forward we should be competitive. Everything else is a bonus.

BigBallWeeBall

Back to Casement & Gaelfast.
I heard rumours that Casement has been given the green light to proceed. No proof yet to share.
Gaelfast, I see that Bukey from LD has retired from teaching - Surely he would be ideal to keep Gaelfast running in the short term.  An experienced Gael, coach teacher and media savvy to boot.

bannside

100% the right man. No brainer.

JimStynes

Quote from: BigBallWeeBall on June 29, 2021, 07:30:30 AM
I heard rumours that Casement has been given the green light to proceed. No proof yet to share.
Gaelfast, I see that Bukey from LD has retired from teaching - Surely he would be ideal to keep Gaelfast running in the short term.  An experienced Gael, coach teacher and media savvy to boot.

Jesus give the man a chance to enjoy his summer off  ;)

BrendanAntrim

Re Sunday, its true of course that the mission has been accomplished for the season, promotion and a higher playing field next year. True too that no one expects us to beat Armagh, and certainly not in the Armagh camp. No matter what the public utterances are it almost inevitable they are eyeing up a semi final. So we may not win, we will be competitive, and hopefully keep the game alive well into the second half. If so, there will come a moment when the big prize presents itself and you never know...it happened in 2009 when Tomas took the goal that changed the game; happened in that crazy match in 2014 v Fermanagh; it was even there for us last year v Cavan with the Gallagher goal effort that would have swung that game.

You get the feeling there will be a moment of opportunity, and hopefully we take it.

EOC1923

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on June 29, 2021, 11:30:10 AM
Re Sunday, its true of course that the mission has been accomplished for the season, promotion and a higher playing field next year. True too that no one expects us to beat Armagh, and certainly not in the Armagh camp. No matter what the public utterances are it almost inevitable they are eyeing up a semi final. So we may not win, we will be competitive, and hopefully the game alive well into the second half. If so, there will come a moment when the big prize presents itself and you never know...it happened in 2009 when Tomas took the goal that changed the game; happened in that crazy match in 2014 v Fermanagh; it was even there for us last year v Cavan with the Gallagher goal effort that would have swung that game.

You get the feeling there will be a moment of opportunity, and hopefully we take it.

Loving the optimism there Brendan, hope you are right!!

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: JimStynes on June 29, 2021, 11:22:08 AM
Quote from: BigBallWeeBall on June 29, 2021, 07:30:30 AM

Jesus give the man a chance to enjoy his summer off  ;)
Recently retired Sean Fleming and Pete Buchanan woyld be great for Gaelfast Belfast - they know Belfast GAA inside out and would know immediatley the issues

bannside

Pete lol. No doubt, two good men that would have the interest experience and skillset to get the job delivered alright.

Take_her_back_ref

I see CJ McGourty is transferring his allegiance from St Gall's to Ardboe. Big loss to St Gall's?

asaffgael

Not anymore. Overall a wasted talent to, one of the best minor  footballers in Ireland.

John Egans left boot

Quote from: asaffgael on July 02, 2021, 01:13:47 PM
Not anymore. Overall a wasted talent to, one of the best minor  footballers in Ireland.

Watch football for a long time as a Kerry man he had everything ... but again it's this Ulster thing ... he won a club all Ireland played in another .. many ulster clubs scored 1-4 - 1-2 from play against Cavan one day ... Jesus u lads need a reality check.. many all Ireland winners (club) in Kerry and u constantly get at lads like this that's why ur going nowhere... I suppose the gaa Moto comes in "give respect get respect"

A lads memories of an Antrim team that has an all Ireland club and then u have a disfunction county team ah lads, come on some respect now, madness !! This is Antrim

asaffgael

Read that a couple of times and still doesn't make sense. Well seen the pubs are open again  ;D